Orioles in 1st place

oldbird

The one thing that has me optimistic for this to continue is that this isn't a murderer's row gauntlet of an AL East anymore. The AL East has essentially 5 average teams. Each team has some gaping holes. Each team has a few solid strengths. Even Toronto has some talent, though IMO, they are the clear basement team in the division.

At the beginning of the year, I called our Orioles a high-70s win team and expected them to finish 4th in the division. There's a lot of baseball to be played. The Sox were a fluke last year. They had several career years for guys happen at the same time. The Yankees are old, but they aren't quite punchless as a few here had mentioned earlier in the season. The Rays with Maddon could trot out the Durham Bulls and still win 85 games and be competitive it seems (oh wait, in a way as injured as they are, they're kinda doing that now). The Jays are the only team in the division IMO that you can essentially rule out, both based on current standings (which still mean little) and the roster.

Wow. I think the reports of Boston's demise are way premature. Lester, Lackey, Peavy, Bucholz, Doubront... that's a solid starting five, IMO. Throw in Pedroia, Papi, etc. I don't see them folding up the tent any time soon.

Personally, I think the AL East has 3 very good teams, one good one (Yankees) and one wildcard (Toronto).

That said, I think we have a pretty balanced roster, and we have youth on our side, especially in the rotation but also in the field.

I would have to say the Orioles are in a great position, but we're by no means a lock to win the division.

The Rays have Price and Archer, and Odorizzi is going to be solid, I think. They have Longoria, Myers (who should become a stud), etc. These are world-class players in very important positions.

The Yankees have their usual, strong store-bought rotation... but I am not crazy about their lineup. I see them tailing off as the long season wears on... and age really catches up.

Toronto has a lot of talent, and if it comes together... they could be good as well.

This is going to be a great baseball season.

At the end of the year sure.

If the Rays are in the thick of the playoff hunt they won't trade him off.

What truly concerns me is the Yankees getting Price. Because you KNOW that's already on their minds up there. A top starting three of Price, Tanaka and Sabatthia would be pretty darned good to say the least.

What truly concerns me is the Yankees getting Price. Because you KNOW that's already on their minds up there. A top starting three of Price, Tanaka and Sabatthia would be pretty darned good to say the least.

Next season?

I don't think the Rays trade Price to the Yanks this season unless they dramatically overpay and Baseball Prospectus has the Yanks with the #23 farm system. Someone like Texas is a lot more likely.

Wow. I think the reports of Boston's demise are way premature. Lester, Lackey, Peavy, Bucholz, Doubront... that's a solid starting five, IMO. Throw in Pedroia, Papi, etc. I don't see them folding up the tent any time soon.

Personally, I think the AL East has 3 very good teams, one good one (Yankees) and one wildcard (Toronto).

That said, I think we have a pretty balanced roster, and we have youth on our side, especially in the rotation but also in the field.

I would have to say the Orioles are in a great position, but we're by no means a lock to win the division.

The Rays have Price and Archer, and Odorizzi is going to be solid, I think. They have Longoria, Myers (who should become a stud), etc. These are world-class players in very important positions.

The Yankees have their usual, strong store-bought rotation... but I am not crazy about their lineup. I see them tailing off as the long season wears on... and age really catches up.

Toronto has a lot of talent, and if it comes together... they could be good as well.

This is going to be a great baseball season.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Sox are a bad baseball team (their 2012 was also a Bobby Valentine expedited fluke). I think they're a good baseball team that overachieved as a champion. Similar to how the Os 2012 team was a slightly above average baseball team that came together with a few career years and some statistical anomalies to overachieve as a playoff team. Boston's win total IMO will be somewhere in the mid to upper 80s.

To date, not a single AL East team has had what you'd call a true hot streak.

Orioles: longest winning streak is 3, best 10-game stretch is 7-3.

Red Sox: longest winning streak is 2, best 10-game stretch is 6-4.

Yankees: longest winning streak is 5, best 10-game stretch is 7-3.

Rays: longest winning streak is 3, best 10-game stretch is 6-4.

Jays: longest winning streak is 2, best 10-game stretch is 6-4.

Simply put, no team in the division has played well for any significant stretch of time. Eventually, someone will -- right?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>This is how they keep track of the AL East standings at The Trop <a href="http://t.co/ZqGftDZPqH">pic.twitter.com/ZqGftDZPqH</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">May 6, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>This is how they keep track of the AL East standings at The Trop <a href="http://t.co/ZqGftDZPqH">pic.twitter.com/ZqGftDZPqH</a></p>? Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

I'm liking that Rays bat. Although I did like their old colors better.

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" style="display: block; max-width: 99%; min-width: 220px; padding: 0px; border-top-left-radius: 5px; border-top-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px; margin: 10px 0px; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; box-shadow: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.14902) 0px 1px 3px; position: static; visibility: visible;" title="Embedded Tweet" width="500" height="729"></iframe>

<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wow, I love it, really cool!

<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>This is how they keep track of the AL East standings at The Trop <a href="http://t.co/ZqGftDZPqH">pic.twitter.com/ZqGftDZPqH</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

Please don't touch bats, indeed. Well, maybe move that Yankee one to the bottom.