Hunter Harvey, stud

Frobby

I wouldn't characterize it that way. After all he wasn't allowed to use his cutter, which Bundy has referred to as his best pitch.

Both of the things I stated were true. Not sure how you can "characterize" it any other way. The O's had him on a stupidly short pitch count and he threw primarily fastballs by inferior hitters once through the lineup.

Another very questionable handling of a top prospect. The ridiculous pitch count didn't prevent him from getting injured and he didn't learn to face hitters a second and third time. Not letting him throw the cutter also seems dumb. DD mentioned in an interview within the last week or so that the majority of ML pitchers are now throwing a cutter and commented on its effectiveness. Their handling of Bundy and Gausman has been odd to say the least.

Anyway, Harvey is fun to follow. Didn't mean to sidetrack so much.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Both of the things I stated were true. Not sure how you can "characterize" it any other way. The O's had him on a stupidly short pitch count and he threw primarily fastballs by inferior hitters once through the lineup.

Another very questionable handling of a top prospect. The ridiculous pitch count didn't prevent him from getting injured and he didn't learn to face hitters a second and third time. Not letting him throw the cutter also seems dumb. DD mentioned in an interview within the last week or so that the majority of ML pitchers are now throwing a cutter and commented on its effectiveness. Their handling of Bundy and Gausman has been odd to say the least.

Anyway, Harvey is fun to follow. Didn't mean to sidetrack so much.

You said "Letting it all out". You can't "Let it all out" if you are not allowed to use your best pitch. He was told to shelve his cutter to force the development of his change up.

That is like telling a Fencer to go all out but making him use his off hand.

Not really arguing that we didn't get to see what Bundy could do when the rotation rolls over a couple of times. The second pitch would have been very important then and I think the orioles were misguided for taking it away. But it still makes it hard to know how Bundy would have faired if allowed to pitch six innings on a regular basis. I'm sure he would have done well but he would have had the experience of getting tired and facing hitters multiple times. The way he was handled allowed him to basically pitch like a dominating bullpen pitcher for a few innings. He didn't have to worry about losing fastball speed as he tired, etc.

Sorry for sounding so argumentative. I didn't mean to be so aggressive.

Rough start today.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hunter Harvey today for Delm at WVa: 4 2/3 innings, 7 hits, 3 R-ER, 2 BB, 5 strikeouts. ERA is now 1.85 for Shorebirds.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">May 18, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Really interesting read, thanks for sharing.

Seems like the first scouting report was meant to be the conservative side of the conversation, and if the worst thing Harvey projects as is a no. 3 starter who can flash no. 2 ability, then sign me up.

For the record, I tend to think his fastball will sit at the 70 level when it is all said and done. Depends on the velocity of course, but for all the praise about his frame adding weight, one would think something has to uptick a bit.

It's nice to see the pitches are all projected to be above ML average because that gives this statement some weight:

"He has the mentality of a big leaguer. He is focused on the mound and pitches without fear. He ramps it up when the situation calls for it. Nothing gets under his skin."

Archived