Ubaldo Jimenez is Consistent

Old#5fan

Perhaps the lack of velocity is mechanical? Tillman, for example, seems to randomly alternate between 90 and 95, sometimes inning-to-inning. The difference being, of course, he can usually back it up with a ridiculous curve ball and good change. But sometimes a mechanical flaw can cause a drop in velocity and command, so here's hoping it's something fixable.

He'll have innings where despite the lack of velocity, he has really nice 2-seam break on the fastball. But then it never seems to last.

The problem with sinkerballers is when the ball doesn't sink, it's an 88-91 Mph meatball.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your not getting a TOR pitcher or even a consistent #2 for 12 million a year on a 4 year deal.

Granted he has struggled but its been all of 3 starts.

Take a deep breath if his ERA is north of 5.00 after 10+ starts with no sign of improvement then I will officially start to be somewhat concerned.

A TOP of the rotation starter on the market costs 90 million and above. In their mid 30's.

Your not getting a TOR pitcher or even a consistent #2 for 12 million a year on a 4 year deal.Granted he has struggled but its been all of 3 starts.

Take a deep breath if his ERA is north of 5.00 after 10+ starts with no sign of improvement then I will officially start to be somewhat concerned.

I don't think anyone thought the Orioles ere getting a TOR with Jimenez. My biggest issue so far is not so much the results, because anyone can have a poor stretch, but the stuff looks a lot more like a replacement level 5th starter than the middle of the rotation guy the Orioles paid for. I can gaurantee if the Orioles saw this stuff they would not have signed him for four years at $50 million. I don't remember seeing him last year at the end of the year, but I can almost gaurantee this was not the stuff he was taking out there.

The four years in a row of dropped velocity is a concern especially for a guy who has always had questionable command. This year his average velocity is down 1.5 MPH from last year down to 90.6 MPH through his first three starts. The thing is before he had enough velocity and quality of stuff to get away with the lack of precise command. The guy I've seen so far does not have that margain of error.

Heck, even when Arrieta was stinking up the joint you could see the quality of his pitches at times. I haven't seen that so far from Jimenez.

It's not that his stuff looks OK, and he's getting bad results. His stuff looks very hittable and he's getting hit.

I hope we have an unusually warm May around here, so we can see if it's really the weather.

That's par for the course w/r/t Ubaldo, though. His stuff has always been flat when he's not on. Isn't a new development.

I don't think anyone thought the Orioles ere getting a TOR with Jimenez. My biggest issue so far is not so much the results, because anyone can have a poor stretch, but the stuff looks a lot more like a replacement level 5th starter than the middle of the rotation guy the Orioles paid for. I can gaurantee if the Orioles saw this stuff they would not have signed him for four years at $50 million. I don't remember seeing him last year at the end of the year, but I can almost gaurantee this was not the stuff he was taking out there.

The four years in a row of dropped velocity is a concern especially for a guy who has always had questionable command. This year his average velocity is down 1.5 MPH from last year down to 90.6 MPH through his first three starts. The thing is before he had enough velocity and quality of stuff to get away with the lack of precise command. The guy I've seen so far does not have that margain of error.

Heck, even when Arrieta was stinking up the joint you could see the quality of his pitches at times. I haven't seen that so far from Jimenez.

This is the most rational critique of Jimenez that I've seen in this thread. I'm still going to be patient with the guy. Frankly, there's no choice but to be patient. If we reach mid-May and Ubaldo is still having bad results and there is no uptick in the quality and location of his stuff, I'll worry about what to do about it. For now, he'll go out there every fifth day and I'll hope he looks better.

The four years in a row of dropped velocity is a concern especially for a guy who has always had questionable command. The thing is before he had enough velocity and quality of stuff to get away with the lack of precise command. The guy I've seen so far does not have that margain of error.

I do get that but it is April, the guy has a history of struggling early. The Orioles knew this when they signed him. They did not sign him for what he could do for them in April, they signed him for what he could potentially do for them in July, August and Sept.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/ubaldo-jimenezs-enigmatic-season/

The article above is an interesting read. I think the point that they make about how " his average velocity hasn’t picked up that much down the stretch, his peak velocity has been significantly better—hitting 95-97 mph when he needs it" .

This seems to indicate to me that Jimenez is guy who takes a bit to get his mechanics and motion into a place were he is repeating the same delivery with the type of action and movement he needs to be successful. Given that I am not to shocked to see him struggling with velocity and location early on in the season.

Not saying that Jimenez will work it out and be just fine. 2012 would seem to indicate that the potential exists that he could struggle all year never quite getting were he needs to be. I just tend to think its way way to early to be overly concerned based on his documented history. His performance so far is about par for what the O's likely expected in April/May.

That doesn't really work. Just grabbed 2012 randomly and he was worse in May, July, and August than he was in April. There isn't a pattern there, although it would make us all feel a lot better if there was! :)

His career era in April is 5.55. For a guy that had a mid 3 era last year we can only hope.

Archived