New Sun article: Roberts/Penn vs Giles/LaRoche to be avoided by Angelos

Skywalker76

Hmmm... maybe the Sun article said that one of the major hurdles was PA's preference to keep BRob.
The deal has "several hurdles," according to a source familiar with the trade talks, with a major one being Peter Angelos' preference to keep Roberts, who has long been a favorite of the Orioles' owner.
Source = The Sun

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its sad That Raffy has sunk to the level of joining the hangout And calling himself "eddieatspoop" just so he can attack all us loyal O's fans....It was a b-12 I know....Anyway Im on board for this, its an upgrade in power across the board and a 100% upgrade@1st, I can loose the steals and dip a couple ba points and live.....Im a roberts guy but not a penn Guy...I dont play fav's in the modern game of mlb....In my opinion it makes us better. Getting Giles to Extend is the only hang up I have I dont want a Rental..For the love of god please keep Eddie Talking.....!

NO! Just no. Not Bonds - like we need another headache like that?

Tell me about it, i'm amazed every day at the number of O's fans who would like Bonds to sport "Orioles" across his chest next year. That is just disgraceful, simply put.

As for the LaRoche deal, I would do it. The thing that pisses me off the most is PA still obviously calling the shots in the end. It seems like this off-season he has let off a little bit in terms of salary, he probably set parameters as to what we could do. But anything involving trades it seems would have to get approval from Angelos still, and what the hell does he know?

lol does anyone else out there think this may actually be Joe Morgan?

Nah, I don't think Joe Morgan would say something like Penn is just not good. I mean really, he'd at least do his homework and say something like, Penn hasn't "proven" anything yet. To say he's not that good is pretty lame IMO. To do what he's done at his age and throughout the minors is pretty darn good. I can't believe how quickly people are giving up on him, it's unbelieveable.

Why would GM's negotiate a possible trade that they don't have authority to make, only to have it talked about in the media, and then if the owner nixes it, you have several players thinking the organization (except maybe the owner), doesn't appreciate them.....that doesn't make sense to me.... so, I for one do not believe it.

Tell me about it, i'm amazed every day at the number of O's fans who would like Bonds to sport "Orioles" across his chest next year. That is just disgraceful, simply put.

Disgraceful is a rough word. Good for you if you hate Bonds for whatever reason, I'm not personally interested in the moralizing and the handwringing.

Nah, I don't think Joe Morgan would say something like Penn is just not good. I mean really, he'd at least do his homework and say something like, Penn hasn't "proven" anything yet. To say he's not that good is pretty lame IMO. To do what he's done at his age and throughout the minors is pretty darn good. I can't believe how quickly people are giving up on him, it's unbelieveable.

Agreed, I'm not against having penn as the centerpiece of the right deal, I'm just afraid after his showing towards the end of last year, he is so undervalued right now that it may not be feasible for him to be the centerpiece of the right deal.

An interesting comparison to a former heralded Orioles pitching prospect:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/Curt-Schilling.shtml

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/P/Hayden-Penn.shtml

and we all know how that deal involving a couple of young pitchers and a skinny outfield prospect for a certain proven power hitting first baseman (I make it a point never to speak his name...) Just kind of eerie how similar a deal of Penn/Fio/Liz for someone like Richie Sexson could be to the infamous deal of Schilling/Finley/Harnish for the one who's name we should never speak.

Feel free to ignore it. Obviously that's his opinion, and I happen to share it.

And it's my opinion that his statement that people having any reaction to the idea of Barry Bonds as an Oriole that doesn't involve shock and disgust is "disgraceful" is useless and a little insulting. Feel free to ignore it.

I'm not sure about these other mega-blockbuster deals, but this is a solid deal and one we should definitely consider.

Maybe shop this exact same deal around to other teams and see what you could get, but if this is still the best one you can get, I think its one you have to make.

Laroche is still pretty young (27) and certainly fills a big void at first for the next 3 years at a pretty cheap. It may be unrealistic to expect a season like last, but it would certainly be worth it if he put up an .880 OPS.

Giles is very comparable to Roberts. He got into problems last year where he got HR happy, but he has a 900 OPS season, and 2 .820 OPS seasons and his minor league numbers back up his MLB numbers. We could try to sign him to an extension, or we could spin him off somewhere else. We could also let him walk during free agency and get 2 draft picks in the process.

Even with this trade, we would still need a left fielder...

I agree, this is a very solid offer. Like you said, I would explore what else we could get with Brob and Penn, but if nothing better came along, I'd be willing to pull the trigger.

I would then explore some of the possibilities brought up by Mackus, SG, and others on here. Obviously I would love to somehow get Peavy.

A bit unrelated, but how about we just trade Penn and a little something for LaRoche and forget BRob's name ever came up? That way, Angelos is happy, we keep our excellent 2B that I doubt a single person dislikes, and also add an incredible young 1B for part of our surplus of pitching prospects that may or may not develop. Sounds easy enough.

That would work as well, depends on what else we'd have to give up though.

Archived