New Sun article: Roberts/Penn vs Giles/LaRoche to be avoided by Angelos

Skywalker76

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No way SD accepts just Penn and Giles for Peavy, plus no way should we give up Ray and Brob for just LaRoche and Giles.

I really think we should be able to get LaRoche and Giles for Roberts and Liz / Olson. That way we could ship Giles, Penn, and then whatever else we need to add in to get Peavy. I'd offer them Giles, Penn and either Reimold, Wright, and Gibbons or Ray. Would much prefer they take Reimold, Wright, and Gibby though.

Well, if we had to add in a guy like Benson or Wright to the deal, that would be fine with me.

Alright, I'm convinced, you guys officially have a right to ***** about the front office's lack of creativity. I've seen more original ideas posted in an hour on this thread alone then I've heard in a while. Ideas that would actually get me excited about the team. Well done, and front office, read the OH!

Ray to Boston, Manny to SD and Peavy to BMore.

Kinda goes against the CW that Boston is looking for a package of 3 good players/prospects for Manny.

First do Roberts+Penn for Laroche+Giles

Then do:

Boston: Ray, Giles, and Linebrink

Baltimore: Peavy, Ben Johnson

SD: Manny and Liz

Then take Fontenot in the Rule 5.

Found the rumored Atl/SD deal from before for Peavy.

It was Peavy for Giles, Horacio Ramirez, and Jarrod Saltalamacchia and was unanimously agreed upon that Atl was destroying SD in that deal.

Salty (not spellig that again) was Baseball America's #18 prospect heading into 2006 (Markakis was #21) but struggled with only a .733 OP at AA this season. He's 21 y/o.

Ramirez is a 27 y/o LHP who made $2.2M last season and 4.48 ERA in 14 starts. He can't have that much more value than Benson, Wright, or Lopez if we eat enough salary to even things out, although he has 2 more years left before FA, our trio of mediocrity only has 1 each unless Benson's option is picked up.

So, we'd have to beat that considerably. Penn and Reimold are both ~= and maybe even > Saltalamacchia, particularly after his struggles this year. For comparison sake, Penn was #81 in 2006 and Reimold was #99, both had better MiL years than Saltman.

Wright / Benson / Lopez is probably similar to Ramirez but a bit less valuable.

I think if we included both Penn + Reimold, plus a SP, along with Giles, it could get done. Might have to add in someone like Gibbons or a young RP though, which I'd do.

Kinda goes against the CW that Boston is looking for a package of 3 good players/prospects for Manny.

First do Roberts+Penn for Laroche+Giles

Then do:

Boston: Ray, Giles, and Linebrink

Baltimore: Peavy, Ben Johnson

SD: Manny and Liz

Then take Fontenot in the Rule 5.

It looks like Ben Johnson was dealt to the Mets.

But without him, its not bad. We trade Rlo for Jenkins.

Archived