New Sun article: Roberts/Penn vs Giles/LaRoche to be avoided by Angelos

Skywalker76

Trading Brob would be the dumbest thing is org has ever done. this is almost as dumb as sitting cal jr when he was batting .209 in May 1990. which i am sure this message board would have been screaming for if it existed at the time. that move on paper might have made since, but can you imagine would that would have taken from all of baseball?

Since Cal's departure this team and its fans has needed another player to grab a hold to, support, and cheer for. A player who kids would want to be like both on the field and off.

I am sure Cal Jr did that for alot of you out there, including myself. And i want a o's player to do the same for my sons.

Even when the o's are at the basement of the East, I still tune in to see what brob has done for the night.

I cant stand Angelos, but this is the first thing he has ever done to make me happy. CARE ABOUT THE FANS! who cares about 25 hr and a doo doo 2b. BROB needs to be an career o. trading him is not the answer for the organization, and if it is, thank god my cable company has TBS.

Word of advice-- you might not want to begin your very first post on the board with "You guys are idiots."

Welcome to the board, but take a look at the board rules before you get yourself in trouble.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trading Brob would be the dumbest thing is org has ever done. this is almost as dumb as sitting cal jr when he was batting .209 in May 1990. which i am sure this message board would have been screaming for if it existed at the time. that move on paper might have made since, but can you imagine would that would have taken from all of baseball?

Since Cal's departure this team and its fans has needed another player to grab a hold to, support, and cheer for. A player who kids would want to be like both on the field and off.

I am sure Cal Jr did that for alot of you out there, including myself. And i want a o's player to do the same for my sons.

Even when the o's are at the basement of the East, I still tune in to see what brob has done for the night.

I cant stand Angelos, but this is the first thing he has ever done to make me happy. CARE ABOUT THE FANS! who cares about 25 hr and a doo doo 2b. BROB needs to be an career o. trading him is not the answer for the organization, and if it is, thank god my cable company has TBS.

Where did you come up with that name/handle?! :eek:

I like Roberts, too, and prefer him to Giles. He's the leader of the team and brings a lot to the table. But no one should be untouchable.

should cal been untouchable? brob is bringing to this city, something stats dont show

Easy there, Pooper.

Cal won Rookie of the Year, a couple of MVP's, and a World Series... and he was a local boy. I love Roberts and I'm not a proponent of trading him, but let's not go comparing him to Cal Ripken.

should cal been untouchable? brob is bringing to this city, something stats dont show

I agree with you and I lean towards not making this deal. I would try to get LaRoche without using Roberts.

However, hypothetically if we could get Peavy or Ramirez or someone like that (ace starter or big bat) and it took Roberts, I think you'd have to pull the trigger.

You said nobody is untouchable, dummy. of course brob is no cal, but he is the closest thing we have had since him.

the only thing keeping most people hanging by a thread to the o's is brob. expecially those of us in the dc area.

i dont care what the o;s have to do, the need to keep him on the team for a long time.

there are 100 laroches out there in the draft. There is no need to dismante the fan base to get some more power.

You said nobody is untouchable, dummy. of course brob is no cal, but he is the closest thing we have had since him.

the only thing keeping most people hanging by a thread to the o's is brob. expecially those of us in the dc area.

i dont care what the o;s have to do, the need to keep him on the team for a long time.

there are 100 laroches out there in the draft. There is no need to dismante the fan base to get some more power.

Eddie...before you post anything else, check out the board policies and rules. If you have any questions, send me a private message. Cool?

Brob should be untouchable. I dont care about peavy, rameriez, babe ruth. Untouchable. he will add .300 close to a 100 runs 30 sb and some pop, plus excellent fielding for years to come. i dont think it is hard for him to replicate his 2005 season, with two healthy arms.

Hmm. I don't think this deal is any good for either side. LaRoche is a solid player, but he's also wildly inconsistent and last year was the first good year he's had. It remains to be seen if he'll ever replicate that, and if he doesn't, you've basically got an ADD platoon player. Yes, the ADD is a problem. Sometimes he just totally spaces out in the field and makes incredibly stupid plays. He's got very little range, too. One of the most maddening players I've ever watched. Not that this should impact our decision much, but many Braves fans irrationally hate the guy. I mean, they despise him, just because it really looks a lot of the time as if he's not trying. He also occasionally puts his foot in his mouth in the paper. And I don't know why the Braves would want to trade him, because despite all that, who's going to play 1B for them? Saltalamacchia?

Giles: His hitting fell off the table last year, and don't call him a leadoff hitter. He's a #2 hitter. They stuck him in the leadoff spot last year when Furcal left and it didn't work out too well. Maybe it was just an off year, but he has said numerous times that he hates batting leadoff, so that's probably not a good idea. He also seems to have lost most of his power. He used to be an incredible doubles hitter, and then he broke his collarbone and something happened to his power (I don't want to suggest steroids, but the poor dude's only 5'7", and it's long been a suspicion of many Braves fans). And that's another thing: the guy has a knack for attracting trouble. Most of his injuries have come from running into things: people, walls, etc. He's had a bum ankle since 2002 that occasionally flares up, some kind of freak thumb problem, acid reflux, hemorrhoids, wisdom teeth infections. . .the list goes on and on. A lot of it is bad luck, but when that bad luck keeps recurring, it gets you the injury-prone label, and Marcus Giles is freakishly injury-prone. He's also only 7 months younger than Brian Roberts, not a year. Defense is fine, but I think he'd probably hate it here and flee to California as soon as he became an FA. He's been talking about it for years.

I don't know what the Braves fascination with Hayden Penn is. I know they're obsessed with trading Giles before he hits FA and I guess Roberts was the logical extension of that, but really, these guys are good right where they are. I don't think anybody comes out ahead in this deal, so why do it?

Who said that? I certainly didn't, although I think you have to be open to the possibility of trading anyone if it improves the team. Duquette himself said, "The goal is to improve the team, not to impress the fanbase". That said, I would prefer not to move Roberts unless we're getting something more significant than Giles & LaRoche back.

Archived