New Sun article: Roberts/Penn vs Giles/LaRoche to be avoided by Angelos

Skywalker76

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.orioles05dec05,0,6371035.story?coll=bal-sports-baseball

"According to several industry sources, the Orioles have had serious discussions about a deal that would send second baseman Brian Roberts and pitching prospect Hayden Penn to the Atlanta Braves for power-hitting first baseman Adam LaRoche and second baseman Marcus Giles.

The deal has "several hurdles," according to a source familiar with the trade talks, with a major one being Peter Angelos' preference to keep Roberts, who has long been a favorite of the Orioles' owner"

Same old story with Angelos. I think if you can get Giles to sign an extension you'd have to make that deal, but what do I know. It's just so frustrating that the owner would rather keep one or two fan favourites and loose, instead of making this ballclub win again.

This whould be such a good trade I want to cry. Young, cheap talented players. LaRoche is so underappreciated. How many home runs did he have last year? 25-30? And he would probably do even better with the short porch

in right. Drooling at this deal right now...

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to make this trade. It satisfies a huge need...

The most disturbing part of this article is not the fact that we might not accept this trade, however, it's why we won't accept this trade. Again we see that Angelos is interfering with the work of Duquette and Flanagan. How can he not get it at this point? Set a budget and let the FO work!

Please Bill Miller, come save us!

This seems like a nice trade for the Orioles. Understanding that they could be unloading a future mid-rotation or better starter, they are still coming out quite a bit ahead offensively. Giles has a slight (or better) edge in most stats, career-wise; and Laroche adds about 25-35 HRs while simultaneously showing Millar the bench (one would think...or hope).

Giles - 2B

Mora - 3B

Markakis - RF

Tejada - SS

Laroche - 1B

Hernandez - C

Gibbons - DH

me? a rusty bike? Pauly Shore? - LF

Patterson - CF

That isn't so bad.

Man, if it isn't the money with Angelos, it's a sudden burst of sentimentality. You don't get rich (or better) hanging on to favorites. He must know that.

hahahaha god I haven't thought about Pauly Shore in ages. Thank you!

it would be a good trade, laroche is still young,

giles is pretty good.

brob kinda droped off with the homers.

penn i believe is just not good.

Roberts isn't meant to be a HR guy. Even then he only hit 8 fewer after almost getting his arm ripped off the previous summer. Give him a break. It was practically miraculous that he even started the season on time.

Penn is a good young pitcher, he will be good in the ML. He would probably tear up the NL East seeing how weak the NL is right now. Don't be fooled by the egg he laid up here this August, he is much better than that.

Giles is pretty good, but he does not replace Brian adaquately when you take into consideration Brain's role as leadoff man and the fact that we have a much better chance of controlling him for a lot longer than Giles.

LaRoche would be a great addition, but is Penn AND Roberts too much fro LaRoche, because essentially Giles is a rental and little more than compensation.

Personally I think the two players is too much for LaRoche, and trading Roberts fills one hole, but opens up another. Giles is not a leadoff man, not like Brian is. So now you need to find an effective leadoff man to replace him.

And I have no faith that Giles could effectively replace him, if he was an effective leadoff man the Braves wouldn't be after Roberts as much.

I'm not sure about these other mega-blockbuster deals, but this is a solid deal and one we should definitely consider.

Maybe shop this exact same deal around to other teams and see what you could get, but if this is still the best one you can get, I think its one you have to make.

Laroche is still pretty young (27) and certainly fills a big void at first for the next 3 years at a pretty cheap. It may be unrealistic to expect a season like last, but it would certainly be worth it if he put up an .880 OPS.

Giles is very comparable to Roberts. He got into problems last year where he got HR happy, but he has a 900 OPS season, and 2 .820 OPS seasons and his minor league numbers back up his MLB numbers. We could try to sign him to an extension, or we could spin him off somewhere else. We could also let him walk during free agency and get 2 draft picks in the process.

Even with this trade, we would still need a left fielder...

I want something better than this for BROb and Penn.

I agree with Mackus..Pursue Peavy.

What about this 3 way deal:

Atlanta gets:

Ray

BRob

SD gets:

Giles

Penn

Orioles get:

LaRoche

Peavy

Then deal Tejada and Gibbons for Kendrick, Aybar, Shields and Kotchman.

You just never know when SG will throw in Kotchman's name. Funny.

I'd love your scenario, minus the Tejada part. But I can't imagine the Padres giving up Peavy for one year of Giles (ok, perhaps they can get an extension out of him since his brother's there, but that'll still cost them) and Penn.

I'm sure Atlanta would pull the trigger on its end. The Braves would actually be getting more in this deal than what was reported, so maybe they could throw a prospect SD's way.

You just never know when SG will throw in Kotchman's name. Funny.

I'd love your scenario, minus the Tejada part. But I can't imagine the Padres giving up Peavy for one year of Giles (ok, perhaps they can get an extension out of him since his brother's there, but that'll still cost them) and Penn.

I'm sure Atlanta would pull the trigger on its end. The Braves would actually be getting more in this deal than what was reported, so maybe they could throw a prospect SD's way.

Do we even need Kotchman if we get LaRouche?

Guest oriofan8
The deal has "several hurdles," according to a source familiar with the trade talks, with a major one being Peter Angelos' preference to keep Roberts, who has long been a favorite of the Orioles' owner"

I'm at work and taking quick "peeks" at what on the board....Has there been anything more said about this particular "lil hurdle" ??? :(

Trading Brob would be the dumbest thing is org has ever done. this is almost as dumb as sitting cal jr when he was batting .209 in May 1990. which i am sure this message board would have been screaming for if it existed at the time. that move on paper might have made since, but can you imagine would that would have taken from all of baseball?

Since Cal's departure this team and its fans has needed another player to grab a hold to, support, and cheer for. A player who kids would want to be like both on the field and off.

I am sure Cal Jr did that for alot of you out there, including myself. And i want a o's player to do the same for my sons.

Even when the o's are at the basement of the East, I still tune in to see what brob has done for the night.

I cant stand Angelos, but this is the first thing he has ever done to make me happy. CARE ABOUT THE FANS! who cares about 25 hr and a doo doo 2b. BROB needs to be an career o. trading him is not the answer for the organization, and if it is, thank god my cable company has TBS.

Trading Brob would be the dumbest thing is org has ever done. this is almost as dumb as sitting cal jr when he was batting .209 in May 1990. which i am sure this message board would have been screaming for if it existed at the time. that move on paper might have made since, but can you imagine would that would have taken from all of baseball?

Since Cal's departure this team and its fans has needed another player to grab a hold to, support, and cheer for. A player who kids would want to be like both on the field and off.

I am sure Cal Jr did that for alot of you out there, including myself. And i want a o's player to do the same for my sons.

Even when the o's are at the basement of the East, I still tune in to see what brob has done for the night.

I cant stand Angelos, but this is the first thing he has ever done to make me happy. CARE ABOUT THE FANS! who cares about 25 hr and a doo doo 2b. BROB needs to be an career o. trading him is not the answer for the organization, and if it is, thank god my cable company has TBS.

Oh, you'll last long around here...

Archived