vs. Red Sox 4/20 (7:05 PM) On ESPN

weams

Schoop obviously had no awareness whatsoever as to where Pedroia was. The only possible explanation for such a boneheaded move would be to think that Pedroia had somehow tagged from 3rd and was 60 feet down the line towards home. If you thought that, you would let the throw go through. But how you could think that was the case when the ball was a line drive laserbeam is beyond me.

Schoop is just clueless.

Schoop has no role in that play. There is no cut on a play that short to left in that situation. Lough is firing home. Lough screwed up. It was a terrible throw. Besides, why would Schoop cut that when Pedrioa is running home to score the winning run?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the kind of loss that can stick with you for a while, and that I can easily see being a rallying moment for a slumping Boston team. I already wasn't optimistic about winning tomorrow on a short schedule, but after that epic collapse I sure don't feel confident about.

You don't cut the ball off in this situation. Absolutely no reason to cut off the throw. That's just a horrible throw by lough.

I could make that throw from that shallow in lf to home. Buck should have batted young for lough and maybe we wouldn't have had such a horrible end to the game. I bet young makes that catch/throw every time

If you are standing where Schoop was there is no reason NOT to cut the throw off because obviously it isn't going to the catcher.

Schoop has no role in that play. There is no cut on a play that short to left in that situation. Lough is firing home. Lough screwed up. It was a terrible throw. Besides, why would Schoop cut that when Pedrioa is running home to score the winning run?

Exactly. No way you can blame that on Schoop. Why would he expect the throw.

Because he wasn't running home until Schoop decided not to catch the ball

Lough sort of got caught in between. Looked like he thought he had a shot at. Pedroia at third

That's the only explanation that makes sense. And he couldn't throw to 3rd because Schoop was off 3rd - so he threw to Schoop. Clearly that ball wasn't on a line to the plate. It was thrown to Schoop.

Maybe, but he did throw it right to Schoop. Schoop literally dodged it to let it sail into noman's land.

Like he should have unless he heard the word cut 4. There was no way anyone would say that because everyone except apparently Lough knew he should have been throwing home.

His back is to the runner; has to rely on help from Wieters.

In a normal game situation, yes.

In this situation, the ball needs to be thrown to home. There is NO reason for the 3b to ever cut off the ball on such a short throw in this situation.

This is not on Schoop. Horrible, rushed throw that didn't need to happen.

Who knows if cut was called or not. I just wonder if his vision he saw Pedroia at all or not. It was a bad throw but to me that is mental not physical. Yes you have to be ready to throw but no need to rush like that.

I think that ball goes to the fence with our left fielder on all fours if Young had been in left.

Yep. Lough made a few nice plays in left tonight. Had a 2b and launched a missle to the wall in right that got caught in his first ab. He made a bad throw in a tough spot. He is an easy scapegoat tonight. Manny would ve saved him. Schoop didn't. He had to make a throw in a hurry there just in case Pedroia was going and he didn't get any help. Tough loss but its not on him.

We must not have been watching the same play, because Lough's throw was RIGHT AT Jonathan Schoop, who for some reason thought it wise to let the ball go past him into no man's land.

Whether Lough should have thrown the ball at Schoop or home is a different issue. He may have felt he had a chance to double up Pedroia. The point is he didn't throw home, he stupidly threw it at Schoop who opted to stop playing.

Archived