vs. Red Sox 4/20 (7:05 PM) On ESPN

weams

I agree Schoop should not have cut the ball.

Why would you want the left fielder throwing home if the runner isn't going home? You dont run the risk of taking a chance the ball gets past the catcher. Schoop does have a role there and that is to catch the ball if the runner isn't tagging up. 3rd base is the cut off on that play.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He threw the ball towards Schoop at thirdbase. I don't know if he thought he was the cut or what, but at the end of the day, his throw was absolutely terrible. Just an average throw near the plate at Pedroia stays at third.

Why throw all the way home if the runner isn't going home? 3rd is the cut off man there.

Perspective often gets lost in the heat of the moment, unfortunately.

Trust me, I know, my dog is currently terrified of me because I pushed over the ottoman on that play. (Which coincidentally had folded clothes on it that my wife reminded me I was picking up and folding again.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If Schoop doesn't duck at a ball obviously coming to him though, Pedroia also stays at third. Plenty of blame to go 'round.

Sorry, that's not how baseball works. Schoop can't really know where the ball is going. He's listening for cut 4 or cut. If doesn't hear anything, he's not supposed to do anything. It was a horrible throw by Lough. He gets 100% of the fault on that play.

There should be no need to communicate where to throw the ball after its caught. It needs to go home in this situation 100% of the time.

I don't agree. You don't make a throw home if the runner isn't going home. You hit the cut off man. He catches the ball so there is no risk of an overthrow.

Sorry, that's not how baseball works. Schoop can't really know where the ball is going. He's listening for cut 4 or cut. If doesn't hear anything, he's not supposed to do anything. It was a horrible throw by Lough. He gets 100% of the fault on that play.

Who is the cut off man on that play? He is right?

That ball was an absolute laser. It was hit right at him and sinking. I'm just glad he caught it. He didn't have time to process whether Pedroia would be running or not. He turned and fired. It was a terrible throw. Schoop had a chance to help him out and didn't. This loss isn't Lough's fault in any way whatsoever.

A TEAM LOSS, with a little bit of help from the new interpretation of the transfer rule.
You're right but with there is a discussion to be had with respect to the last play.

I have no opinion. Honestly don't know whose fault that was.

The last play was part of the team loss that I was referring to ...... along with the offense not being able to plate Jones in the top of the 9th, and the pitching and defense (especially the defense) breaking down late in the contest.

Why throw all the way home if the runner isn't going home? 3rd is the cut off man there.

Look again, he did tag. Regardless, the left fielder should make a good throw home on that play. Now, could Schoop had been further down and lined up for the throw, but either way, Lough should not need a cut off on that play from that distance.

But at some point you need to be aware the throw is offline to homeplate and you respond instinctively. It not like the throw was a few feet offline. I would estimate it was 20-30 feet offline.

Look again, he did tag. Regardless, the left fielder should make a good throw home on that play. Now, could Schoop had been further down and lined up for the throw, but either way, Lough should not need a cut off on that play from that distance.

If the runner doesn't go home you cut the ball off to avoid a chance of an overthrow. Yes he tagged up but he wasn't going home. He would of been out by 40 feet. Why take the chance of the throw getting away?

Archived