vs. Red Sox 4/20 (7:05 PM) On ESPN

weams

That's the only explanation that makes sense. And he couldn't throw to 3rd because Schoop was off 3rd - so he threw to Schoop. Clearly that ball wasn't on a line to the plate. It was thrown to Schoop.

Which is idiotic. Why not throw it to Hardy too? Or maybe Nick wants to play catch.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like he should have unless he heard the word cut 4. There was no way anyone would say that because everyone except apparently Lough knew he should have been throwing home.

The ball was 30 feet offline and making a beeline for his nose and Pedroria was heading back to the base. I don't understand why he wouldn't catch it.

In a normal game situation, yes.

In this situation, the ball needs to be thrown to home. There is NO reason for the 3b to ever cut off the ball on such a short throw in this situation.

This is not on Schoop. Horrible, rushed throw that didn't need to happen.

I agree Schoop should not have cut the ball.

We must not have been watching the same play, because Lough's throw was RIGHT AT Jonathan Schoop, who for some reason thought it wise to let the ball go past him into no man's land.

Whether Lough should have thrown the ball at Schoop or home is a different issue. He may have felt he had a chance to double up Pedroia. The point is he didn't throw home, he stupidly threw it at Schoop who opted to stop playing.

But you don't throw the ball to home if the runner isn't going home. The

Exactly. No way you can blame that on Schoop. Why would he expect the throw.

Who cares whether or not he expected the throw. The throw was clearly directly to him and not anywhere near a line to the plate. He has to catch the ball. (And) if Lough was throwing to Schoop instead of to the plate before Pedroia turned around, then he's to blame too for throwing to the wrong place. (But) I think that Pedroia had already stopped before Lough threw so Lough tried to double him up.

There should be no need to communicate where to throw the ball after its caught. It needs to go home in this situation 100% of the time.

Unless you think you are going to double up Pedroia because he ventured too far off base.

I don't see how it was a dumb throw. It was a bad throw but the runner was tagging, you have to make a throw to the plate.

He threw the ball towards Schoop at thirdbase. I don't know if he thought he was the cut or what, but at the end of the day, his throw was absolutely terrible. Just an average throw near the plate at Pedroia stays at third.

Who cares whether or not he expected the throw. The throw was clearly directly to him and not anywhere near a line to the plate. He has to catch the ball. (And) if Lough was throwing to Schoop instead of to the plate before Pedroia turned around, then he's to blame too for throwing to the wrong place. (But) I think that Pedroia had already stopped before Lough threw so Lough tried to double him up.
Exactly.

He threw the ball towards Schoop at thirdbase. I don't know if he thought he was the cut or what, but at the end of the day, his throw was absolutely terrible. Just an average throw near the plate at Pedroia stays at third.

If Schoop doesn't duck at a ball obviously coming to him though, Pedroia also stays at third. Plenty of blame to go 'round.

That's true, but the game was more than just that one play. The whole team needs to refocus and not turn this horrible game into a losing streak.

If Schoop catches the ball thrown to him, Pedroia stays at third as well.

Archived