vs. Red Sox 4/20 (7:05 PM) On ESPN

weams

I don't agree. You don't make a throw home if the runner isn't going home. You hit the cut off man. He catches the ball so there is no risk of an overthrow.

You don't have time to make that decision. The only thing I will say about Schoop is that he was not lined up withe home plate but regardless, the play is right in front of Lough. He should be firing towards Wieters, not towards Schoop.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the runner doesn't go home you cut the ball off to avoid a chance of an overthrow. Yes he tagged up but he wasn't going home. He would of been out by 40 feet. Why take the chance of the throw getting away?

Because the third baseman is looking at the left fielder. It's the catcher's job to yell cut. If the fielder doesn't hear anything, he's trained to let it go.

But at some point you need to be aware the throw is offline to homeplate and you respond instinctively. It not like the throw was a few feet offline. I would estimate it was 20-30 feet offline.

Maybe, but the speed of that play makes it a split second decision. Schoop hasn't played a ton of 3B in his career so he's probably not that familiar with the angle of the throw and where he was. In that case, it makes sense for him to let it go.

Ball to left, 3B is the cut off man to the plate. SS covers 3rd, at least that's the way we played it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Winning run on third base there is no reason for a cut in any scenario. Maybe Schoop cuts and tries to back pick if he sees something, but left field should be throwing through to the plate.

Winning run on third base there is no reason for a cut in any scenario. Maybe Schoop cuts and tries to back pick if he sees something, but left field should be throwing through to the plate.

I'm not arguing the play either way, someone just asked about who the cut off man should have been.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But the ball was way offline from home. How is he not aware of that? Just to exaggerate what if he was standing in the 3b coaches box and the ball comes at his head. What then? There has to be some point where he cuts the ball instinctively.

But the ball was way offline from home. How is he not aware of that? Just to exaggerate what if he was standing in the 3b coaches box and the ball comes at his head. What then? There has to be some point where he cuts the ball instinctively.

I'm extremely glad I didn't watch this game; listening to the bumbling through the last three batters was bad enough. Hopefully they can salvage the split. Too much inconsistency through this first ninth of the season for me to feel bullish about the squad, honestly.

Completely disagree. Schoops job is to give Lough a direct line to home plate, which he didn't do. You are telling me you have never seen a guy at 3rd cut the ball off in a situation like that before? The whole point of cutting the ball off is to avoid what happened.

It was a terrible through by Lough. But what good does Schoop letting it go do? The ball was 20-30 feet off line. It was so far off line that if Wieters went to go get it, Pedroia possibly would have run hoping to beat the throw AND relay that would need to happen from there.

Just an absolutely horrible game. And I am completely over Lough. It would be nice if we could have a healthy infield.

Why would you want the left fielder throwing home if the runner isn't going home? You dont run the risk of taking a chance the ball gets past the catcher. Schoop does have a role there and that is to catch the ball if the runner isn't tagging up. 3rd base is the cut off on that play.

You have the pitcher behind the catcher.

The minute Pedroia went back to tag up Schoop was out of the play. It doesn't matter that Pedroia stopped and ran back -- he tagged and took several hard strides towards home before changing his mind.

Completely disagree. Schoops job is to give Lough a direct line to home plate, which he didn't do. You are telling me you have never seen a guy at 3rd cut the ball off in a situation like that before? The whole point of cutting the ball off is to avoid what happened.

The throw was a beer league softball throw -- the type of thing you see a former player do to try and back pick a runner. It was ugly all around. Schoop didn't cut because he had no way of knowing Pedroia stopped running home.

You have the pitcher behind the catcher.

The minute Pedroia went back to tag up Schoop was out of the play. It doesn't matter that Pedroia stopped and ran back -- he tagged and took several hard strides towards home before changing his mind.

Why would you run the risk if the throw getting by the catcher for? Usain Bolt would not of scored on that play. Just because a runner tags doesn't mean he is coming home. The fielders job is to throw through the cut off man, not fire the ball to home plate in the air.

Archived