Most Valuable-Schoop's Bat or Flaherty's Glove

Bahama O's Fan

I should've been more clear: I'm not saying who cares about his glove. No way, it's the opposite. I'm saying: who cares if in a super, super small sample size this season he has only looked average? We know from a far bigger sample size of last season that he is better than that. So the question was meant to be: who cares (...if he has only looked average to your view in the very, very early goings this season?). I think it's quite a stretch to suggest that Flaherty is not a major upgrade on Schoop with the glove, and doesn't figure to be for at least this season...

We don't know that.

We know that he was better last year.

Players have good, bad and career years with the glove as well as the bat.

His sample of work isn't large enough to make encompassing comments about his defense.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems as though these are the two main things each brings to the table. Schoop's bat and Flaherty's glove (or his ability to wear many gloves). All other issues aside' date=' which of the two would you deam most valuable?[/quote']

In time Schoop.

We don't know that.

We know that he was better last year.

Players have good, bad and career years with the glove as well as the bat.

His sample of work isn't large enough to make encompassing comments about his defense.

Even so, unless I've missed it, you've yet to back up your claims about his defense dropping off from last year with any kind of numbers/objective evidence, and people have rightly made objections/qualifications to your claims. So forgive me if I still stick by my assertion that "I think it's quite a stretch to suggest that Flaherty is a not a major upgrade on Schoop with the glove, and doesn't figure to be for at least this season"...

As in, you seem to be anticipating/suggesting that Flaherty's glove is average or last season was a fluke/not indicative of his skill based on....what, exactly?

(Forgive me if my tone sounds antagonistic, I don't mean to be that way at all. That's just the way it comes out when I'm engaged in debate, lol. Not a good trait to have, I suppose.)

Sub .200 BA v.260ish BA with a near lead in RBI for the team. Schoop has a better bat.

SSS, homes.

Even so, unless I've missed it, you've yet to back up your claims about his defense dropping off from last year with any kind of numbers/objective evidence, and people have rightly made objections/qualifications to your claims. So forgive me if I still stick by my assertion that "I think it's quite a stretch to suggest that Flaherty is a not a major upgrade on Schoop with the glove, and doesn't figure to be for at least this season"...

As in, you seem to be anticipating/suggesting that Flaherty's glove is average or last season was a fluke/not indicative of his skill based on....what, exactly?

(Forgive me if my tone sounds antagonistic, I don't mean to be that way at all. That's just the way it comes out when I'm engaged in debate, lol. Not a good trait to have, I suppose.)

SSS, homes.

My claim as you put it is personal observation, something I had already acknowledged. Obviously if last season was an insufficient sample size then quoting anything from a couple weeks in April would be pointless.

As far as the other point you are trying to make, I don't think I said what you think I said. I was merely commenting on an observed drop in play.

I do understand Corn's conundrum here. He looks at utility guys a lot like he does relievers. Sure they have some value. But in his mind, you do not accommodate for it. Plus, he like those advanced defensive stats. Which I kinda throw out. Flaherty knocked in the winning run today BTW. With two out.

And it was a very mature piece of hitting. Flaherty has been accused here of having too long a swing and being capable of only hitting fastballs, but this afternoon he very deliberately half-swung an away breaking pitch into leftfield for what wd turn out to be the game-winning hit. He knew what the team needed and got it for us.

And it was a very mature piece of hitting. Flaherty has been accused here of having too long a swing and being capable of only hitting fastballs, but this afternoon he very deliberately half-swung an away breaking pitch into leftfield for what wd turn out to be the game-winning hit. He knew what the team needed and got it for us.
I guess I'm the only one but I have noticed a change in his approach this year as a result of his work with Surhoff. He looks much more focused and confident. Lays off more breaking balls seems to have a better idea of what he's doing. Also a shorter swing.

I guess I'm the only one but I have noticed a change in his approach this year as a result of his work with Surhoff. He looks much more focused and confident. Lays off more breaking balls seems to have a better idea of what he's doing. Also a shorter swing.

I thought he looked much more confident ST, then the ML changeups and breaking balls hit him when the season started. He seams to have made adjustments quicker than last year. We'll see how it goes.

Defense looks fine, obviously his best position is second base.

Don't sleep on Flaherty's bat just yet. It should be clear to anyone who's been following the team that he's super-streaky at the plate. When he's bad, he's bad, but when he's on he's an asset to the lineup. The last few weeks before they got Brob back last yr he was hitting the cover off the ball.

I thought he looked much more confident ST, then the ML changeups and breaking balls hit him when the season started. He seams to have made adjustments quicker than last year. We'll see how it goes.

Defense looks fine, obviously his best position is second base.

Yes, and it would be nice to see him just get settled at one spot for a change so everyone could make a valid assessment. I didn't think there was anyone who turned the DP better than he did from 2B. If he's made strides with the breaking stuff it'll be noticeable over 200-300 ABs.

BBref say Flaherty has no time at second base this year. Can that be right?

That didn't sound right to me but I checked MLB.com and you are correct. That's hard to believe but maybe it's because we have seen him play the 2b position in the shift this year.

Archived