Flash Era Coming to an End?

Shabadoo25

I don't see the O's trading Lombo. Not with him having options. The O's apparently have not decided to sign Hardy past this year. Who knows what happens there. But if they let him walk, Lombo may come in handy next year.

I think trying to make Lombo better is a better approach then trading him. The guy is 25 years old and may still improve with the proper conditioning.

I don't believe the team has actually come out and said this, you might be right.

However, they said they are not to going to discuss an extension with the public during the season.

The price for Lombo was cheap, a backup SS that they were going to DFA anyway, and whom the Tigers have already DFA.

I think it was done, more as a backup INF, since Manny wasn't available for opening day.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not only do I trust Buck's and DD's judgment, I trust my own as well. It is clear to me that Flaherty is a superior defender to other options, at 2B and SS. SSS, but his UZR/150 of 15 RS at 2B and 20 RS at SS tends to supports this. You would, I suppose disagree with Buck's judgment, but what statistical information do you have to show he is wrong?

Flaherty has been good defensively at 2B. I think there are enough innings to reach that conclusion (687.1 over two years). Strangely, though, he hasn't played 2B this year. Flaherty's also been good at SS, but his innings are very limited: just 105.2 innings spread across three years. Conversely, Flaherty has been bad at 3B, but, once again, limited innings (183.0 over three years). Accordingly, the only conclusion I'm comfortable reaching is that Flaherty can handle 2B well. But didn't this conversation start because Flaherty was supposed to play...

...7 positions averaging over a total of 5 RS each year...

Virtually all of that value has come from second base, with some of it coming at SS. How does Lombo compare? You came out and said that you haven't actually made the comparison statistically, and yet you were able to conclude that Lombo can only fill in with mediocre defense at one position.

And I say again, the funny thing is that you might be correct if you actually fleshed out the research. Flaherty might have an edge over Lombo when you factor everything (offense, defense at multiple positions, etc.), but you don't seem willing to do that. So again, if you just want to "trust Buck," fine, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't spread disinformation around by claiming, without any kind of support, that Flaherty is the better player because Lombo can only play one position at a "meh" level.

I don't believe the team has actually come out and said this, you might be right.

However, they said they are not to going to discuss an extension with the public during the season.

The price for Lombo was cheap, a backup SS that they were going to DFA anyway, and whom the Tigers have already DFA.

I think it was done, more as a backup INF, since Manny wasn't available for opening day.

Not trying to say I know what will happen with Hardy. I don't know. The emphasis should be on the next sentence in that post. "Who knows what happens there."

Not that this has much to do with the actual thread discussion, but I have never understood or liked seeing posters calling Flaherty "Flash." Whoever gave him that nickname, I would like to say it doesn't make sense. Flaherty is not "flashy" in the least and it also makes no sense with his last name either as it isn't Flasherty. So it just annoys the crap out of me when I see him being called this here. Even worse than Markakis being referred to as "Kakes," which I don't like either, but it at least makes a bit of sense with his name.

Flaherty has been good defensively at 2B. I think there are enough innings to reach that conclusion (687.1 over two years). Strangely, though, he hasn't played 2B this year. Flaherty's also been good at SS, but his innings are very limited: just 105.2 innings spread across three years. Conversely, Flaherty has been bad at 3B, but, once again, limited innings (183.0 over three years). Accordingly, the only conclusion I'm comfortable reaching is that Flaherty can handle 2B well. But didn't this conversation start because Flaherty was supposed to play...

Virtually all of that value has come from second base, with some of it coming at SS. How does Lombo compare? You came out and said that you haven't actually made the comparison statistically, and yet you were able to conclude that Lombo can only fill in with mediocre defense at one position.

And I say again, the funny thing is that you might be correct if you actually fleshed out the research. Flaherty might have an edge over Lombo when you factor everything (offense, defense at multiple positions, etc.), but you don't seem willing to do that. So again, if you just want to "trust Buck," fine, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't spread disinformation around by claiming, without any kind of support, that Flaherty is the better player because Lombo can only play one position at a "meh" level.

How about some evidence to demonstrate that Buck is wrong in playing Flaherty over Lombo at SS and 3B. If you don't think he is wrong there then why would you keep a UTIF who can't play SS and 3B over one who obviously can? The fact that Flaherty hasn't played 2B has more to do with Hardy and Manny being out and Schoop playing poorly at 3B than anything else. In the absence of evidence to the contrary, I'll take Buck's judgment and my own eyes over your specious arguments.

Wow, nobody cares. His nickname is Flash because that's what the guys in the clubhouse call him. Deal with it! No one care what you do or do not approve of in the nickname department, guy.

Exactly!

It annoys the crap out of me how some people can pick apart everything on here. :)

Defensive metrics are so inaccurate its a waste of time to try to prove much with them.

From what I has seen Flaherty plays a good 2B, is the 2nd best SS on the O's(since Manny is not playing there now), Though he had some problems early at 3B he has the arm, mobility and skills to play the position well. I don't like Flaherty in the outfield. His experience is very limited there. Flaherty can play defense at 1B but he doesn't have the bat be anything be a fill in there.

Lombo has shows a nice bat when hitting for average. He has limited power. He has shown in several cases that his arm is not that strong. With Flaherty available I see no reason to play Lombo at 3B or SS.

Schoop appears to be an impact player in the making. He has a strong accurate arm that will play well at 2B. His play at 3B mostly showed inexperience.

The O's are in win now mode. So the decision on whether Schoop is ready to be be the starting 2B probably comes when Manny is ready to return. That is when O's management will have the most data. We will see how that turns out.

Not that this has much to do with the actual thread discussion, but I have never understood or liked seeing posters calling Flaherty "Flash." Whoever gave him that nickname, I would like to say it doesn't make sense. Flaherty is not "flashy" in the least and it also makes no sense with his last name either as it isn't Flasherty. So it just annoys the crap out of me when I see him being called this here. Even worse than Markakis being referred to as "Kakes," which I don't like either, but it at least makes a bit of sense with his name.
I have frequently heard other players refer to him as Flash. It stands for Flashing the leather. Some baseball people seem to think he has a good glove at a number of different positions. Perhaps you are old enough to have heard that expression before? It is also easier for lazy typists like myself to spell Flash.

Wow, nobody cares. His nickname is Flash because that's what the guys in the clubhouse call him. Deal with it! No one care what you do or do not approve of in the nickname department, guy.

I just believe a nickname ought to make sense, but I didn't know his teammates gave it to him. Apparently, it makes sense to them for some reason. So, I will accept it, but would like someone to investigate the story behind it. Makes me wonder if he didn't "flash" one of them or something. If so, I get it and that would be funny. I had an uncle nicknamed "Skip" who recently passed away and nobody (other than he) ever knew how he got that name. He took it to his grave, but there had to be a story behind it...somewhere along the way.

I just believe a nickname ought to make sense, but I didn't know his teammates gave it to him. Apparently, it makes sense to them for some reason. So, I will accept it, but would like someone to investigate the story behind it. Makes me wonder if he didn't "flash" one of them or something. If so, I get it and that would be funny. I had an uncle nicknamed "Skip" who recently passed away and nobody (other than he) ever knew how he got that name. He took it to his grave, but there had to be a story behind it...somewhere along the way.

Here's a clue. His last name begins with flah. Just put an 's' between the 'a' and the 'h' and you've got it. Probably has been his nickname for years.

Flaherty is overmatched at the plate. I think that he needs glasses.

Flash went 0-4 in his first 5 G, then he went .278 .395 .361 .756 for the next 12 G. Current league average for 2B: 217 .260 .331 .363 .694. Last night he went 0-4 again. If he gets 3 hits tonight his number will go up again. That's how it is early in the season.

Here's a clue. His last name begins with flah. Just put an 's' between the 'a' and the 'h' and you've got it. Probably has been his nickname for years.

Still doesn't make sense. It would make more sense calling him "Flair." Since the Dano said the clubhouse gave him the nickname, I bet he "flashed" someone and if so, I think it is a great nickname. Otherwise, not so much...

Archived