Flash Era Coming to an End?

Shabadoo25

Well it only took the pro-Flaherty guys 500 PA to realize he isn't a hitter...

Until of course he launches a couple hangers then he will be an everyday player again...

I don't consider myself a pro-Flaherty guy, but you make it sound as though 500 PA spread out over 3 seasons is a lot. It isn't, really. It's still possible Flaherty will develop into a better hitter than he has shown so far. I certainly agree with you that he hasn't really done anything to seize that opportunity.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id just like that ppl who are fixated on his bat to realize he isnt on this team to be an everyday player.

Hes being forced to be an everyday player because of the injuries. And he's doing an exceptional job.

He has to play a different base every other day and is doing ahell of a job. And when you have to focus on playing different positions, your bat suffers because of it.

But for the ppl who want Ryan gone because of his bat. Let's get rid of Lough too, because they're averages are about the same. Then find two whole new replacements. That should make the team better...Not.

Abd don't forget. When you are trying to find a replacement for Flaherty. Not only do you have to make sure he is a better hitter, you have to make sure he can play every position. Otherwise it's not an upgrade.

Flaherty is here because he can play basically every position sans catcher at a high level while still being able to swing the bat (despite what some on here seem to think). He may or may not have the bat to be an everday player, but ideally he would'nt be an everyday player. Injuries are making him play more than he ideally would. I know I just repeated what many before me have said.

Id just like that ppl who are fixated on his bat to realize he isnt on this team to be an everyday player..

He was, for all practical purposes, going to be the everyday second baseman at the beginning of the year. Yes, injuries have changed that and he actually hasn't played any second base as it turns out, but lets not discount that he was being counted on for a significant number of AB's this year and his offensive production has been a disappointment thus far.

I'm flat out disappointed in Flash. His bat simply has not developed. Maybe it worked against him that he was learning against ML competition as a rule V guy. Be that as it may, the bat is just not there and it doesnt have to be that good. He does provide value as a defensive guy, but if he's going to hit .200 and strike out a ton, then his days are eventually numbered. Maybe he doesn't go down before Lombo, but DD will be lookin to upgrade that position in the offseason.

And this is looking at him strictly as a UTIL guy. I hoped he might develop into and everyday guy at 2B. Don't see it happening. He's gotten enough ABs that we kind of know who he is as a hitter.

I just don't get the number of posters here who had such major expectations out of Flaherty. He is what he is, an above average defensive utility guy who can't hit. I have no idea what some of you were seeing in his bat that would think he would develop into a decent hitter. He just can't hit major league pitching and I believe his days are numbered.

As far as his developing into an everyday guy at 2b, who cares? We have Schoop there now don't we? I do think Flaherty defensively has it all of Schoop, but alas, he can't play often with an average akin to a major league pitcher hitting. Too bad we couldn't morp Flaherty's defensive skills with Schoops bat.

He was, for all practical purposes, going to be the everyday second baseman at the beginning of the year. Yes, injuries have changed that and he actually hasn't played any second base as it turns out, but lets not discount that he was being counted on for a significant number of AB's this year and his offensive production has been a disappointment thus far.

I agree. I see little difference between him and our former guy filling that role - Robert Andino. He could play second, third or short also, and I thought he had more pop and better hitting in the clutch than Flaherty has ever shown. Not sure why Flaherty is considered much better. I don't think he is, other than he bats left handed, not much difference.

Flaherty is here because he can play basically every position sans catcher at a high level while still being able to swing the bat (despite what some on here seem to think). He may or may not have the bat to be an everday player, but ideally he would'nt be an everyday player. Injuries are making him play more than he ideally would. I know I just repeated what many before me have said.

So you think he can play Left, Right and Center field at a high level?

He is an utility infielder, who is comfortable at all four infield positions.

HES NOT ON THIS TEAM TO BE A HITTER. When will you anti Flaherty guys realize that?

When the team gets fully healthy and you guys see his true role for this team yall wont.be complaining about his bat.

And as a matter of fact. We should be glad he isn't hitting .300 because then he would definitely be gone because he would ask for a **** tion of money.

Id just like that ppl who are fixated on his bat to realize he isnt on this team to be an everyday player.

Hes being forced to be an everyday player because of the injuries. And he's doing an exceptional job.

He has to play a different base every other day and is doing ahell of a job. And when you have to focus on playing different positions, your bat suffers because of it.

But for the ppl who want Ryan gone because of his bat. Let's get rid of Lough too, because they're averages are about the same. Then find two whole new replacements. That should make the team better...Not.

Abd don't forget. When you are trying to find a replacement for Flaherty. Not only do you have to make sure he is a better hitter, you have to make sure he can play every position. Otherwise it's not an upgrade.

Don't use BA, it is an outdated stat. Use OBP, OPS, OPS+, or wOBA. Even RC

He is under team control for at least three more seasons (It's odd how folks are not clamoring they need to get a seventh year or team control). He isn't going to be making

a **** tion of money
in arbitration, even if he does hit .300.

He isn't doing an "exceptional" job, Fangraphs and Baseball reference both have him below replacement level so far this year. You can't spin that into exceptional.

Odd how Zobrist guy in Tampa gets moved around constantly and manages to hit. I guess he would be a triple crown contender if they would leave him in one place?

Lough is the backup CF, whose glove, btw plays well enough to have his WAR higher then Flaherty using both systems.

As oldfan said, he's basically Andino, not without worth but certainly replaceable.

Where's your proof for "changing positions = worse offensive production"?

Flaherty's made finding a better hitter an absurdly easy task.

He hasn't played very well at 3B (just last night he allowed a routine ground ball to 3B to turn into an infield hit that led to the tying run being scored). He's also made another error at 3B. He also isn't very good at 1B (he has an error there, as well, and he misplayed a ground ball there on Friday that proved costly). His primary defensive value is at 2B. Unfortunately, for him and us, that seems to be Schoop's best position. Thus, we're left with Flaherty at 3B out of necessity...not because he's good. Once Manny comes back, Flaherty should never, ever appear in the lineup unless there's a need at 2B or SS.

In the end, I agree with you that he isn't on the team to be an everyday player, and I agree that injuries have forced the team's hand. But that doesn't mean he's done an exceptional job in the interim. He really hasn't.

Where's your proof for "changing positions = worse offensive production"?

Flaherty's made finding a better hitter an absurdly easy task.

He hasn't played very well at 3B (just last night he allowed a routine ground ball to 3B to turn into an infield hit that led to the tying run being scored). He's also made another error at 3B. .

This is relatively absurd imo. Flaherty was positioned deep/medium on Valencia. He's a RHB with power against a LHP. He should be positioned deep in that situation and the coaches position the infielders anyways. It was a slow roller. The other play was a tougher slow roller that Davis could have at lest knocked down of not caught. Flaherty is fine at third base. Hes done fine at shortstop and I doubt we'd have anybody that would have done better defensively.

This is relatively absurd imo. Flaherty was positioned deep/medium on Valencia. He's a RHB with power against a LHP. He should be positioned deep in that situation and the coaches position the infielders anyways. It was a slow roller. The other play was a tougher slow roller that Davis could have at lest knocked down of not caught. Flaherty is fine at third base.

It absolutely wasn't a slow roller. And Danny Valencia isn't Frank Robinson. The ball wasn't smashed, but it wasn't a nubber, either. Should have been a routine play.

And saying "he's fine at 3B"...I completely disagree, but I feel like making the argument is impossible if you're convinced of the opposite just because..."SSS." Fangraphs has him in the negative in almost every category at 3B, but defensive metrics are unreliable across small samples, right?

Of course, saying he's fine at 3B...that's acceptable...

It absolutely wasn't a slow roller. And Danny Valencia isn't Frank Robinson. The ball wasn't smashed, but it wasn't a nubber, either. Should have been a routine play.

And saying "he's fine at 3B"...I completely disagree, but I feel like making the argument is impossible if you're convinced of the opposite just because..."SSS." Fangraphs has him in the negative in almost every category at 3B, but defensive metrics are unreliable across small samples, right?

You have to admit he is better the Schoop right now.

Talk about a low bar.

It was a slowly hit groundball into the IF grass. I'm not sure how that's not a slow roller and yes you have to take into account where Flaherty was initially positioned on the play. Flaherty looks "fine" at third base. No, I'm not going to argue defensive metrics over ridiculously small sample sizes. Try Frobby.

Archived