Flash Era Coming to an End?

Shabadoo25

Don't use BA, it is an outdated stat. Use OBP, OPS, OPS+, or wOBA. Even RC

He is under team control for at least three more seasons (It's odd how folks are not clamoring they need to get a seventh year or team control). He isn't going to be making in arbitration, even if he does hit .300.

He isn't doing an "exceptional" job, Fangraphs and Baseball reference both have him below replacement level so far this year. You can't spin that into exceptional.

Odd how Zobrist guy in Tampa gets moved around constantly and manages to hit. I guess he would be a triple crown contender if they would leave him in one place?

Lough is the backup CF, whose glove, btw plays well enough to have his WAR higher then Flaherty using both systems.

As oldfan said, he's basically Andino, not without worth but certainly replaceable.

Find me one player who has played 4 different positions thus year and hitting.better than Flaherty and who has less errors.

Andino couldn't play first or third and without flaherty the defense would be that much worse.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Find me one player who has played 4 different positions thus year and hitting.better than Flaherty and who has less errors.

Andino couldn't play first or third and without flaherty the defense would be that much worse.

Andino looked very good at third actually.

Andino could play third and was better in the outfield.

As for your oddly specific parameters, yeah, not going to bother. It's April and Ryan has played a total of one game in two of his four positions, I don't think his one inning in RF this year wins him any versatility awards. Flaherty wishes he was Zobrist but he isn't, not even close.

At this point how can anyone defend Flaherty? I am sure Brandon Fahey could play 4 positions, but who cares he couldnt hit. Flaherty has an OPS of .502....that is beyond horrific. In fact, I cant believe I got into it with some members as they actually thought he would OPS near .800.

This has to end, seriously. In 509 career PA's, he is hitting .216, with an OPS of .636. That is terrible.

He is 27 years old, not 22. When Manny comes back it would be inexcusable to not give 2b to Schoop at this point.

Does Schoop's BB/K rate not irk anyone other than me? 1/24...and yes it is only 76 at bats, but yikes.

Schoop's OBP is .278/Flash is .268

Not sure I get how everyone thinks Schoop walks on water just yet. Talented kid for certain, but just not ready. Send him down and let him become more selective and consistent. What is best for Schoop' long term development? Maybe I'm nuts...

Does Schoop's BB/K rate not irk anyone other than me? 1/24...and yes it is only 76 at bats, but yikes.

Schoop's OBP is .278/Flash is .268

Not sure I get how everyone thinks Schoop walks on water just yet. Talented kid for certain, but just not ready. Send him down and let him become more selective and consistent. What is best for Schoop' long term development? Maybe I'm nuts...

This is where scOtt went wrong the other night.

Yes over the course of a month or so Schoop might only project to be a quarter of a win better.

If you are a team that thinks itself a contender can you afford to have a potential win playing at AAA?

If the O's were clearly out of it, or clearly running away with it then sure, give Schoop some more experience at AAA and secure the extra year of team control.

Edit- and yes the walk rate worries me.

Yesterday I heard Buck say that AL teams will all go with 13 pitchers soon, and that means teams will put a greater emphasis on the super utility guy- like a Flash who can play multiple positions. I hope Buck is wrong. I don't to see a roster spot for a Flash type of person who can't hit. Watching Markakis play first in lieu of Crush, tells me that are probably a lot more players who can hit and play multiple positions well, but have never been asked to do so. Nelson Cruz plays rf now while Makrakis as as first base- lets get more guys like Nelson and Nick rather than the super utility player who can't hit.

The Flash Era ends when Manny is back, mark your calendar. But if Buck is right, Flash will be back and more guys like Flash will be on the way. No matter, one thing is clear: the one dimensional player is becoming a dinosaur.

Andino could play third and was better in the outfield.

As for your oddly specific parameters, yeah, not going to bother. It's April and Ryan has played a total of one game in two of his four positions, I don't think his one inning in RF this year wins him any versatility awards. Flaherty wishes he was Zobrist but he isn't, not even close.

Oh yeah? did he say he wishes he was as good as Zobrist?

Compare their contracts and then ill tell you if him being as good as Zibrist actually matters.

Oh yeah? did he say he wishes he was as good as Zobrist?

Compare their contracts and then ill tell you if him being as good as Zibrist actually matters.

You do realize that, with under three full years of team control, that salary has exactly nothing to do with anything.

Oh wait, this is the second time you have mentioned salary so I guess you don't understand that.

OK, here it is: Teams decide how much players make their first three years in the league.

Btw, how is comparing a role player to a everyday player even fair? Especially when one has 5+ years over Flaherty.

Flaherty is a bench player who is versatile. Zobrist is an everyday player who can also pay other positions.

Oh that's easy. They are both super utility types that made their MLB debut at 25 and struggled offensively.

Zobrist managed to became the BCS for Flaherty.

You do realize that, with under three full years of team control, that salary has exactly nothing to do with anything.

Oh wait, this is the second time you have mentioned salary so I guess you don't understand that.

OK, here it is: Teams decide how much players make their first three years in the league.

Well understand that even when his first three years are up he's not making Zobrist money.

Oh that's easy. They are both super utility types that made their MLB debut at 25 and struggled offensively.

Zobrist managed to became the BCS for Flaherty.

BCS? Best case scenario?

Well come back to me when Flaherty is Zobrist' age. Then we can compare.

Everyone talks about PAs.

How many more at bats (experience) does Brist have over Flaherty? That doesn't make a difference to you?

And I'm sure Zobrist woild be offended with you calling him.a utility player. He's much better. Which is why the comparison to Flaherty makes no sense to me.

Compare Flaherty to Josh Harrison from Pitt or Mike Carp of Boston.

Archived