Flash Era Coming to an End?

Shabadoo25

Flaherty's value is not, and never has been, his bat. He was a Rule 5 guy, and it was because of his glove and his versatility that he stayed with the team and has become an extremely valuable piece. He's not going anywhere.

The year before he was selected he hit .280 with a .347 OBP with 19 homers and 88 RBIs between AA-AAA. The Orioles might not have expected him to hit year one but I'm certain they expected him to hit.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Flaherty's value is not, and never has been, his bat. He was a Rule 5 guy, and it was because of his glove and his versatility that he stayed with the team and has become an extremely valuable piece. He's not going anywhere.

Extremely valuable?

Hyperbole much?

Somewhat valuable is a lot closer to the truth.

Robert Andino could backup at short and third as well I don't recall anyone calling him extremely valuable.

Last year Davis and Machado were extremely valuable.

The year before he was selected he hit .280 with a .347 OBP with 19 homers and 88 RBIs between AA-AAA. The Orioles might not have expected him to hit year one but I'm certain they expected him to hit.

Oddly, the book on Flaherty was that he was a decent hitter with solid OBP skills who could play several positions defensively but none of them particularly well. Instead he's been a pretty poor hitter with terrible OBP skills who plays good defense at several positions. He's a useful player, but that may not be enough once Manny is back. We'll see.

Extremely valuable?

Hyperbole much?

Somewhat valuable is a lot closer to the truth.

Robert Andino could backup at short and third as well I don't recall anyone calling him extremely valuable.

Last year Davis and Machado were extremely valuable.

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::old5fan:

Next up - value of BRob to O's 2011 - 2013....

I'm flat out disappointed in Flash. His bat simply has not developed. Maybe it worked against him that he was learning against ML competition as a rule V guy. Be that as it may, the bat is just not there and it doesnt have to be that good. He does provide value as a defensive guy, but if he's going to hit .200 and strike out a ton, then his days are eventually numbered. Maybe he doesn't go down before Lombo, but DD will be lookin to upgrade that position in the offseason.

And this is looking at him strictly as a UTIL guy. I hoped he might develop into and everyday guy at 2B. Don't see it happening. He's gotten enough ABs that we kind of know who he is as a hitter.

I am OK with him as the last arm out of the pen.

Somebody needs to suck up the Gregg innings this year.

From this point on, I will forever refer to mop-up innings in a blowout as "Gregg Innings". I encourage everyone to do the same.

As for Ryan Flaherty, he is a utility infielder, not an everyday player. If you want to look at what his playing time should look like, look at Lenn Sakata's baseball stats from 1983 or 1984 - 66 games, 140 plate appearances. He should be a late inning defensive replacement who occasionally starts to give people a day off. Instead we're playing him every day, whether due to injury or an assumed lack of option as 2B. He can't play every day when Manny gets back. He may not even platoon. But he does have value on this team due to his versatility.

There's always space for a guy like that. When Sakata was playing and the team had a 9 man pitching staff, you could keep a good glove/no bat guy without much worry. Interestingly, when there's a 13 man pitching staff and you've only got 3 guys on the bench, his ability to play multiple positions well still keeps him around.

Unless the organization focuses more on options than logic, you have to feel like Ryan is headed out of town soon.

Lombo has outhit him and even though Ryan has more power potential, you can't keep 2 of the same type of guy with a short bench. With Machado back, bringing up a Weeks or Casilla makes even more sense.

The coaches love Flaherty. They aren't going to just throw away someone who can play every position.

I'm flat out disappointed in Flash. His bat simply has not developed. Maybe it worked against him that he was learning against ML competition as a rule V guy. Be that as it may, the bat is just not there and it doesnt have to be that good. He does provide value as a defensive guy, but if he's going to hit .200 and strike out a ton, then his days are eventually numbered. Maybe he doesn't go down before Lombo, but DD will be lookin to upgrade that position in the offseason.

And this is looking at him strictly as a UTIL guy. I hoped he might develop into and everyday guy at 2B. Don't see it happening. He's gotten enough ABs that we kind of know who he is as a hitter.

HES NOT ON THIS TEAM TO BE A HITTER. When will you anti Flaherty guys realize that?

When the team gets fully healthy and you guys see his true role for this team yall wont.be complaining about his bat.

And as a matter of fact. We should be glad he isn't hitting .300 because then he would definitely be gone because he would ask for a **** tion of money.

Well it only took the pro-Flaherty guys 500 PA to realize he isn't a hitter...

Until of course he launches a couple hangers then he will be an everyday player again...

I think most of us were looking at Flaherty as a low 700 OPS guy in a platoon situation who provided additional value with his defense at second and low cost. I still wouldn't rule that situation out. But right now he's not even hitting dead red fastballs.

I also don't think people want to stay with Flaherty when we have someone better (and Schoop looks better at this point).

Archived