Cruz- would you try and extend him?

terps19

I didn't watch the game but I looked at the box score and noticed Cruz had all of our RBIs again. Really? Pathetic. We need roster changes on the offensive side of the ball. This is nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Cruz becomes primarily a DH Ortiz becomes a good comp. He has averaged around 3.4 WAR the past 4 seasons (age 34-37), and has been paid about 13M per with incentives. So Cruz could expect something close to that over 2 -3 years. Say 2/26M with options and incentives to raise it.

Funny how most of us on here didn't want Cruz, me included.

Egg on face:)

I had no belief that he would be worth the 4 year 65 million dollar contract he was insistent on. I was surprised and happy when he fell into our laps at a reasonable deal.

I love the camaraderie that seems to have been built fairly quickly with the rest of the team...especially with Schoop and Machado.

I'd love to see a 3 year extension and solidify that DH position for the next few years.

This is freakin hysterical. I wish Manny and Schoop would worry less about the HR hand shake with Cruz and more about their terrible performances at the plate. Way too much celebration for individuals versus team performance IMO.

This is freakin hysterical. I wish Manny and Schoop would worry less about the HR hand shake with Cruz and more about their terrible performances at the plate. Way too much celebration for individuals versus team performance IMO.
Manny and Schoop are 21 and 22 respectively . They have a lot they can learn from the 34 YO Cruz. As I am sure Drungo would tell you they are both doing pretty well at the ML level for their ages.

Trying to negotiate an extension with a no-defense 33yo in the midst of a career year sounds like something the Mets would do. I don't want to be the Mets.

So I think I'd try the Qualifying Offer route.

Investment: 55th Overall Draft Pick + $8M

Return: 35th Overall Draft Pick + One year of elite offensive production at a discount rate

:skeletor:

Trying to negotiate an extension with a no-defense 33yo in the midst of a career year sounds like something the Mets would do. I don't want to be the Mets.

So I think I'd try the Qualifying Offer route.

Investment: 55th Overall Draft Pick + $8M

Return: 35th Overall Draft Pick + One year of elite offensive production at a discount rate

:skeletor:

About the NO defense thing. I said this back in spring training and it would have helped a great deal when Chris Davis was hurt..Buck should have given Cruz a 1st baseman's mitt and played him there in ST. Markakis took reps there, why not have as many guys as you can learning other positions. Cruz is pretty mediocre in the OF but who knows, maybe he'd be a fine 1st baseman. It would be nice to have upgraded him from a DH/sort of crappy OF to a DH/possibly ok 1B.

But what do I know lol.

As I see it Cruz' current numbers are better than the big Poopi's, and Cruz can be a s productive as he has been the next 4 years as a DH. We don't need to worry about his glove, which is better than David Diva's, and he is a better base runner as well.

As I see it Cruz' current numbers are better than the big Poopi's, and Cruz can be a s productive as he has been the next 4 years as a DH. We don't need to worry about his glove, which is better than David Diva's, and he is a better base runner as well.

O's can't afford to give a DH Ortiz money.

I don't think hardly anyone was against the signing at 1/8. A lot didn't want to go anywhere near his original reported asking prices. There's a big difference.

This. He was looking for 5/$75 mil last off season. If he looks for that again I predict he'll have another long winter. I love what he's doing for us right now, but he'll be hard pressed to put up these numbers again.

QO and we recoup the pick when he turns it down. Whatever they try to negotiate as an extension won't be enough for what he thinks he can get next off season.

But it is at least possible that he could be a productive DH for a few years....would it be laughable to the Orioles or to him to consider say a 5 yr 40 deal? Would it be worth structuring at say 12 10 8 6 4? Long day, just thinking out loud. Sorry.

But it is at least possible that he could be a productive DH for a few years....would it be laughable to the Orioles or to him to consider say a 5 yr 40 deal? Would it be worth structuring at say 12 10 8 6 4? Long day, just thinking out loud. Sorry.

No, he might like the security, but at this pace I have to think he's looking to cash in.

Funny how most of us on here didn't want Cruz, me included.

Egg on face:)

Remember the choice was Cruz or Morales at the time and most people thought Morales was the better fit. All this of course before Cruz's price fell to 1/8. It was reasonable to question whether Cruz without the help of PED's was worth taking a risk on.

I was against signing him before the sweetheart deal. I'm glad I was wrong.

Archived