Cruz- would you try and extend him?

terps19

Blow it up! Burn it down!! Pray we're back to .500 by 2019!

There is a portion of the fan base that is so thirsty for a blown up team that they seem to root for poor performance.

I think they miss they days of trading at the deadline. For prospects.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is a portion of the fan base that is so thirsty for a blown up team that they seem to root for poor performance.

Incredibly we've identified a substance even more addictive than crack cocaine.

Or so it would seem at times...

For better or worse they go with Billy Beane's motto of:

Of course, Beane had the b*lls to trade Gio Gonzalez, Trevor Cahill, and Brett Anderson. Of course, last time I looked, they were doing pretty well. I'm not saying we should tear it down but there could come a time when you either think THIS group has a REAL chance in the next two years or not.

As much as I like Billy Beane, I think that:

1) The A's circumstances aren't the Orioles'.

2) You can take any bumper sticker way too seriously*.

3) Even a mid-market team can go from 65 wins to 90 in a year or two.

4) This isn't the 2003 Orioles, who were so thin they'd have an injury and call up a replacement from Frederick.

In any case, I don't see how this team could go into rebuild mode, trading current talent for prospects, with Bundy, Gausman, Machado, Jones, Harvey, Schoop here or arriving soon.

* And not to get into politics, but I think some of our national problems stem from taking a debate insult from 25 years ago and turning it into an ethos.

That's not me at all. What I know is that this team has not looked good for the last year and a half and that there are five regulars with major contracts ending this season or next. If things don't appear to be improving in six weeks it's not unreasonable to look at trading one of those five players IF the right deal is available. It seems more prudent than sending KG & Erod to Chicago for Samardzija and praying several players get hot. You're free to disagree.

4) This isn't the 2003 Orioles, who were so thin they'd have an injury and call up a replacement from Frederick.

In any case, I don't see how this team could go into rebuild mode, trading current talent for prospects, with Bundy, Gausman, Machado, Jones, Harvey, Schoop here or arriving soon.

* And not to get into politics, but I think some of our national problems stem from taking a debate insult from 25 years ago and turning it into an ethos.

4WdFl.gif

If you are DD, and knowing that Crush and Wieters might not sign with the orioles, would you be making strides to come up with a number for Cruz?

Provided he stays healthy, he could be the all time DH for the next 3-4 years in Baltimore. I have a feeling he is going to MASH the rest of the season especially when it gets warmer...

How many years and how much money would you think it would take to get him signed?

Remember what happen to Davis after the All Start break last year sure love to have him back talk later.

Tend to agree with the part in bold.

Moving current talent though does not necessarily mean getting back prospects. If the O's make moves my only desire is that it is for guys who can get on base and will be around here to compliment the guys you mentioned.

Rebuilding and retooling are different things. Moving assets were you are strong andhave a number of them to get assets that are MLB ready or darn close were you are weaker should be the goal. Don't make moves just for the sake of it, only make them if they make sense both now and in the big (longterm) picture.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
o

(vs. NATIONALS, 7/07)

He's making it very difficult not to.

Again, hit him with a qualifying offer. If he accepts, we've got him for another year. If he doesn't, we get a pick. Win, win.

You don't extend an aging DH that's having a career year. You just don't.

Again, hit him with a qualifying offer. If he accepts, we've got him for another year. If he doesn't, we get a pick. Win, win.

You don't extend an aging DH that's having a career year. You just don't.

Too many baseball evaluations by stat geeks are made in a vacuum. You fail to notice how well liked he is and how the team reacts to his exploits. Overpay to keep the chemistry in tact if you have to. Don't fix what isn't broken. That being said, don't do something crazy, just pay him what he is worth at the end of the year or sooner.

Archived