Cruz- would you try and extend him?

terps19

No, he might like the security, but at this pace I have to think he's looking to cash in.

He has six point three he needs to make up too. HE came here, so he could put up these numbers so he could get his money. A year removed from the steroids, he will be able to ask for even more.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After Kevin Millar, Derrek Lee, the old Vlad, Garrett Atkins, and Michael Morse, I am very grateful to the baseball gods for kindly sending Nelson Cruz our way. Is my hope that Peter Angelos would spend extra to keep him in Baltimore completely futile?

If the O's don't improve and contend, it might be that Cruz will be looking to head to a perennial contender. Just saying at this point of his career how the close a team is to making a WS run may be just as important as years/$$$.

Remember the choice was Cruz or Morales at the time and most people thought Morales was the better fit. All this of course before Cruz's price fell to 1/8. It was reasonable to question whether Cruz without the help of PED's was worth taking a risk on.

I was against signing him before the sweetheart deal. I'm glad I was wrong.

You weren't wrong. The O's waited him out and got a better deal.

After Kevin Millar, Derrek Lee, the old Vlad, Garrett Atkins, and Michael Morse, I am very grateful to the baseball gods for kindly sending Nelson Cruz our way. Is my hope that Peter Angelos would spend extra to keep him in Baltimore completely futile?

Yes. I think is not only futile, but probably foolish. This is really an outlier in his career. And the season is not over. I am very happy with him. I do not think he will hit 60 and drive in 160 which is the pace that he is on which has us this excited.

You weren't wrong. The O's waited him out and got a better deal.

Got a deal that they would consider. They were never players in that other arena. I think they were listeners. Showed interest. Hung around. Waited for the chairs to go. Well played.

Yes. I think is not only futile, but probably foolish. This is really an outlier in his career. And the season is not over. I am very happy with him. I do not think he will hit 60 and drive in 160 which is the pace that he is on which has us this excited.

He also won't play 159 games.

If the O's fall out you have to listen to offers.

Sure, and I think we're still ~.500 at the ASB so I'd seriously consider selling because this isn't working. It would have to be a very nice trade offer though since we're looking at a 1st if/when someone else signs him.

Sure, and I think we're still ~.500 at the ASB so I'd seriously consider selling because this isn't working. It would have to be a very nice trade offer though since we're looking at a 1st if/when someone else signs him.

So you are saying that there is no chance that a .500 team could improve by 7 games over the final 81 games?

Assuming we are going to be right around .500 around mid July. Would DD trade Cruz? If he's still hitting .300ish and on pace for 60/150 what is his trade value as a rental for 2-2.5 months? I can't think of a guy having this big of year being dealt around the deadline. But it would sure be better getting a trade package instead of 1 draft pick.

As I see it Cruz' current numbers are better than the big Poopi's, and Cruz can be a s productive as he has been the next 4 years as a DH. We don't need to worry about his glove, which is better than David Diva's, and he is a better base runner as well.

There were 46 players in history who were DHs or 1B from age 32-34, with an OPS+ between 110-130, in at least 350 games. Ortiz was in the middle of that group with a 120 OPS+.

From age 35-on 23 of the 46 were worth less than 2 rWAR for the rest of their careers. Only 11 of the 46 (24%) were worth 8 or more rWAR from 35-on. And only Ortiz, Jake Daubert, and Andres Galarraga (6%) were worth 10+ wins.

The chances are better than Cruz is out of the league at 37 than of him being a productive DH.

Archived