Is It Too Early to Start Talking About Nick Markakis?

Aristotelian

You think a realistic forecast is no decline over his age 31-35 seasons?

An insignificant decline. He is trim -- shouldn't lose that much foot speed or reaction time in the field pre-35.

That said, the man makes the "quietest outs." Even his hits are whispers. Impossible on the 17 mil. Maybe 3 years, 30 mil. But that's only if he finishes somewhere around .290 90 15 80, with 35 doubles. But I can't say that I believe he has that kind of pop in his bat now. Gotta let him go FA.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Say Nick finished with a 366 OBP and .406 Slugging like he has right now, what would the QO likely be if the O's made one?

The QO is fixed for MLB, and doesn't depend on the individual player's performance. Last year it was $14.1 mm and I'd expect next year it will be closer to $15 mm.

Nick has not hit lefties well so far this year. And he didn't hit them last year. I think the O's have to determine what kind of a player he is now and might be in the future. Is he headed toward being a platoon player? They don't get paid what full time players do.

Its a little early. I agree that looking at it during All-Star break sounds about right. Right now he is not worth a QO of 14-15M. He is still someone the O's might want to sign at the right price though.

The O's have three options here, IMO, resign Nick, go with someone in house, e.g. Alverez/Urrutia? or sign a cheaper better FA. What's best? BTW, according to DRS Total Runs, Nick is currently worth more than Cruz at 21 TR to 19.

I think he's average at best in RF and I know the stats hate him. However, I still don't feel is a liability out there. He catches everything he gets too and makes some nice catches going back to the wall.

Not as much as people think. DRS only has him about 4 runs per year below average over the past 3 years while UZR has him closer to a minus 8. i'm more inclined to go with DRS over UZR. In any event, neither is all that horrible imo and I thought his defense was pretty obviously affected by injuries last year. Similar to Jones, they don't like his range but he makes up for a lot on the arm.

Nick has not hit lefties well so far this year. And he didn't hit them last year. I think the O's have to determine what kind of a player he is now and might be in the future. Is he headed toward being a platoon player? They don't get paid what full time players do.

I am not very worried about Nick's splits vs. LHP. He's only had 32 at bats against them, that's too small a sample to be concerned with. Last year was a poor one for Nick all around, but his OPS vs. LHP was only about 50 points lower than for RHP. For his career, he's about 75 points lower vs. LHP, and that is actually pretty good compared to the platoon splits of most players. I don't see him platooning any time soon.

Not as much as people think. DRS only has him about 4 runs per year below average over the past 3 years while UZR has him closer to a minus 8. i'm more inclined to go with DRS over UZR. In any event, neither is all that horrible imo and I thought his defense was pretty obviously affected by injuries last year. Similar to Jones, they don't like his range but he makes up for a lot on the arm.

If Markakis' fielding is the primary determining factor whether the Orioles extend/re-sign him, I'll be a monkey's uncle. I want hitters in corner outfield positions. If he starts hitting with good power, great! If not, see ya later.

The problem with Markakis is his complacency....

If you give him a contract now his overall performance would go to hell.

He's in the best shape he can be now because he doesn't have a job next year, this seems to be a trend in MLB players.

I picked him up in Fantasy Baseball because I knew he would come prepared to perform this season, I'm in first place by the way.

Really? Can you tell me what you think it is?

Yes. I think for several days now you have been making posts like this:

No, I think walks are a better bet than hits. Most ML players have the hand eye coordination to spoil a pitch. Far fewer have the hand eye coordination to square it up. Much easier to try for walks than hits and less risky. Putting the ball in play leads to outs. Walks also use up more P/PA. If every one on the team took this approach you'd be through the opposing team's entire pitching staff in less than 9 innings.
Yes you make my point. It's better to walk than to hit.
Actually the O's will be replacing him with me and my revolutionary hitting theory of Don't Swing, Take a Walk. The game will never be the same, and people like Presley will be relegated to history's dust bin.
We all know the name of the game is walks. Schoop has yet to walk this season.
I don't care if he can hit or field as long as he can take a walk.

I think there is about an 95% chance that you are mocking people who you think overvalue walks, and a 5% chance that you are serious.

The problem with Markakis is his complacency....

If you give him a contract now his overall performance would go to hell.

He's in the best shape he can be now because he doesn't have a job next year, this seems to be a trend in MLB players.

I picked him up in Fantasy Baseball because I knew he would come prepared to perform this season, I'm in first place by the way.

Wow!!! That's amazing! You are in first place of your fantasy league:2yay-thumb: ...with only five months to go?:awesome::grouphug::awesome: Make sure you keep us up-to-date on your fantasy team -- at least one post per day. Nothin' better than hearing the opinions of a guy who can back up his baseball acumen with championship-caliber fantasy baseball management!

Wow!!! That's amazing! You are in first place of your fantasy league:2yay-thumb: ...with only five months to go?:awesome::grouphug::awesome: Make sure you keep us up-to-date on your fantasy team -- at least one post per day. Nothin' better than hearing the opinions of a guy who can back up his baseball acumen with championship-caliber fantasy baseball management!

Amazing way to focus in the least important thing about a post.

Did I hit a nerve with my argument?

You can go check Markakis numbers after he got a big contract....and please make sure you improve your reading comprehension skills.

Archived