Officially Worried About Tillman

Rene88

Anyone else?

Caveat: didn't see game today, heading back from Pittsburgh/Falling Waters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's two poor outings in a row. He needs to pitch better. But I'm not worried. I didn't see a lot, but the Braun double was a good pitch that got in on his hands, just a good piece of hitting by Braun.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely a poor outing today. Velocity was ok, but he hung some breaking balls, elevated some fastballs and couldn't find the strike zone consistently. He did strand a couple of runners on 3rd with less than 2 outs, and ultimately that enabled the O's to come back and win.

If he has a groin strain, why not skip him once in the rotation and bring Gausman back for his next scheduled start?

This is a great point because even the best allow runs. To be fair though only 7 of those runs were earned and it was at the height of the baseball's offensive era. But my idea is baseball's are put in play the majority of the time. There's only 9 guys in the field and sometimes they find holes or become misplayed.
I think it's a really goofy point because he's looking at Pedro's entire career and counting the bad starts. But how many good starts were there in between?

"At Pedro's absolute peak," *cites one bad start*.

How is that supposed to mean anything here? Yes, everyone has bad starts, even the best, that's a given. It doesn't mean Chris isn't seriously scuffling.

Tillman was consistently high in the strike zone, and he hung more than a few curve balls. I thought he was lucky more damage wasn't done. He was struggling with his release point and he was not following through on a lot of pitches. It also seemed he was really falling off to the left at times, which I haven't noticed before. All this could very well be because his groin is still bothering him. Maybe skipping a start wouldn't be a bad idea.

Tillman was consistently high in the strike zone, and he hung more than a few curve balls. I thought he was lucky more damage wasn't done. He was struggling with his release point and he was not following through on a lot of pitches. It also seemed he was really falling off to the left at times, which I haven't noticed before. All this could very well be because his groin is still bothering him. Maybe skipping a start wouldn't be a bad idea.

Very lucky, The Brewers hit four of five balls that were caught on the warning track in the first three innings, Could have been pulled sooner if some have gotten out. Looked like he was flying open. His velocity was up but pitches liked straight and nice pitches to hit.

Good pitchers find ways to have OK games when they don't have their best stuff. They can adjust. I thought Tillman had become that type of pitcher. It appears there is till a learning curve going on. He is still young and may become more dependable from start to start. It would be fun if the starting pitching and hitting would synch together. The O's are lucky to be 3 games over .500, but they seem to have the potential to have a 15 out of 20 run in them.

I think it's a really goofy point because he's looking at Pedro's entire career and counting the bad starts. But how many good starts were there in between?

"At Pedro's absolute peak," *cites one bad start*.

How is that supposed to mean anything here? Yes, everyone has bad starts, even the best, that's a given. It doesn't mean Chris isn't seriously scuffling.

The point wasn't whether or not Tillman is scuffling. He is. It was in response to a statement something along the lines of "good pitchers don't have starts like that." They most certainly do, and I picked Pedro because he was a good as anyone ever was and he still had two season's worth of starts where he was bad.

I thought he looked much better yesterday. Velocity was up. He was one ill advised hanging curve to Segura away from a win and a quality start. The entire Orioles staff is too concerned with using secondary pitches. Command the fastball and throw it 75% of the time.

Britton gave up a hit yesterday on a hanging curve. He doesn't need to throw curve balls... Zach your the closer now, throw 10 nasty 95mph sinkers and your done.

The entire Orioles staff is too concerned with using secondary pitches. Command the fastball and throw it 75% of the time.

Number of qualifying MLB starters: 106

Number of qualifying MLB starters who throw at least 75% fastballs: 6

MLB ERA: 3.79

ERAs of those six: 4.82, 3.30, 3.91, 3.60, 5.32, 5.34

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see throwing 75% fastballs as some kind of magic solution.

Archived