Reimold Rising?

mdbdotcom

Manning seems to be doing OK.

Manning said he had to learn all over again how to throw. As much as it sounds bad. Swinging a baseball bat violently is probably more stressful than the 20 QB hits Manning takes a year. It was so bad with Manning he would only let his Dad and Wife watch him throw in the beginning. Manning also went to Europe I believe. I don't think Nolan did that. Tiger went to Canada for his stuff.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And if you had earned all that while in pretty hefty tax brackets? And you had a wife and kids? No real skills outside of baseball? (I'm guessing)

I don't think Nolan is at a point of long term financial independence yet.

Three million just seems like so much money that you couldn't possibly spend it

all. Hope he has saved some of his bucks. Or is saving some.

Manning said he had to learn all over again how to throw. As much as it sounds bad. Swinging a baseball bat violently is probably more stressful than the 20 QB hits Manning takes a year. It was so bad with Manning he would only let his Dad and Wife watch him throw in the beginning. Manning also went to Europe I believe. I don't think Nolan did that. Tiger went to Canada for his stuff.

The surgery is absolutely a huge deal, there were issues with both of their surgeries.

I don't however think swinging a bat is more stressful then having a 290 pound defensive lineup lay one on you.

Three million just seems like so much money that you couldn't possibly spend it

all. Hope he has saved some of his bucks. Or is saving some.

Considering what he now knows about his situation I sincerely hope he is being very careful with this year's salary.

I'm the biggest Reimold fan on this forum. When he first came up, I thought he might be the best power hitter from the O's farm system since Eddie Murray. Even Adam Jones has been quoted as saying Nolan's easily the best athelete on the team.

That being said, I'm not counting on anything from Reimold because the guy just can't stay healthy. He reminds me of Jeffrey Hammonds. Plus where would they play him?

And if you had earned all that while in pretty hefty tax brackets? And you had a wife and kids? No real skills outside of baseball? (I'm guessing)

I don't think Nolan is at a point of long term financial independence yet.

He also received a $590,000 signing bonus "way back" in 2005, plus whatever he made in the minors (relatively negligible, I know) prior to 2010. Yes, taxes probably took a big chunk, but if he (or anyone else) managed to blow through the leftovers in the intervening years, especially if he (or anyone else) hadn't actually established himself as a surefire, everyday ML player with the long term contract to prove it, then that's on him.

With that much money in the bank, he should be able to pick up a job teaching Driver's Ed and still live comfortably (his family, too) for the rest of his life. How many "outside baseball" skills does a person really need to land a job that pays 30-40k per year?

EDIT: and for that matter...is his wife incapable of working?

This is nothing but good news. It is impossible not to root for Nolan. It would also be unwise to expect much. That said, this is a good investment on many levels for the O's, and if it pays off you can count me among the very very happy.

Nolan says he's feeling better than he has in years. He played LF this weekend and reportedly is hitting the ball hard. It shouldn't be too long now before he's out on a rehab assignment.

Fire away!

Didn't he say that in spring training? I hope it is true this time.

I think when a player has surgery on his neck then retirement seems the best

thing to do. You just never know. His health is the most important thing.

really annoying to have someone other then the doctors giving advice without any information. I'm rooting for him and i'm sure he's fully aware of the risks and consequences, unlike you

Didn't he say that in spring training? I hope it is true this time.

From what I saw in ST, he was hitting the ball well. I love Nolan, I'll never give up hope until he officially hangs up the cleats.

You never know. I'll always root for this guy. No one hustles down the line like him. His first month at Norfolk way back when is one of the best months anyone, especially an Oriole prospect, has ever had in AAA. AND, he crushed his first ML homerun off of Mariano Rivera to dead CF.

I was in the Yankee Stadium rightfield bleachers for that.

After he hit it (the moonshot to straightaway center), a couple of Yankee fans sitting near me said, "Who the hell was THAT?" :eektf:

And it's historical, also ...... Nolan Reimold is the only player ever to hit his first career home run off of Mariano Rivera.

Archived