Just Keep on Winning the Series

Jonesy10

20 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

It's nice to get 2/3, but sometimes you have to slam the door. When we're in September fighting for our playoff lives, we're going to wish we had a few more sweeps.

Yeah, I don't buy into this argument.  They're starting off the year with one hell of a stretch against the entire division, and they've either won or split every series so far.  A sweep is great, doesn't matter who it's against, but if you don't win the series you were never in position to sweep it in the first place.  As has been the case every year they haven't made the playoffs since 2012, if this team doesn't make the playoffs this year it'll be because of what they didn't do in August and September, when it really matters. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Yeah, I don't buy into this argument.  They're starting off the year with one hell of a stretch against the entire division, and they've either won or split every series so far.  A sweep is great, doesn't matter who it's against, but if you don't win the series you were never in position to sweep it in the first place.  As has been the case every year they haven't made the playoffs since 2012, if this team doesn't make the playoffs this year it'll be because of what they didn't do in August and September, when it really matters. 

There seems to be a few misguided posters who either think the O's take it easy after winning the first two games of a series... or have fallen prey to some "curse" that prevents sweeps. I say this because I've seen numerous folks complaining about it already this year.

A sweep isn't easy. Just because you won the first two games doesn't make the third game any easier. You're still facing a competitive MLB opponent.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, dan-O said:

I don't really think you can ask for better than the 2nd best record in baseball right now. 

23 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Sure you can... you can ask for the best!  1st place or nothing!

(didn't say it was reasonable)

Well, he has what he wants now. :-)

On 4/23/2017 at 9:49 PM, Roy Firestone said:

o

I'll always take 2 of 3, but it's uncanny how this team can't seem to sweep anyone, especially on a Sunday ...... Can't do it.

o

On 4/24/2017 at 1:34 PM, OFFNY said:

o

I don't think that anything can be quantified as uncanny after a team has played only 17 games of a 162-game season.

If it is late August or early September, and the Orioles still have not swept a 3-game series, then I would concede that it is at least somewhat uncanny for a solid team like the Orioles never having been able to secure a single 3-game sweep in a season which is mostly made up of 3-game series.

It's not late August or early September. It's not even May 1st yet. So to me, there is nothing uncanny about the Orioles' only sweep of the season so far having been the 2-games that they swept from the Blue Jays to open the season.

o

o

Today was the Orioles' first 3-game sweep of the season, and their second sweep of the season overall.

o