Zrebiec: Other teams in the mix

JCK

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think I would want to wait that long to get control of a young player who is not going to get the full 100% attention of coaching staffs. This is the most important time for draft picks to develop and our coaching staff wouldn't even get to coach them.

The other side of that is that you won't have anyone else to trade for them in 6 months, and if they are that much more of a talent than other players (like Vitters or Heyward) it becomes worth it.

I think getting either the Yanks or the Red Sox involved could be the absolute smartest move to make right now. It's become pretty obvious that the Yanks/Sox were mostly interested in just keeping Santana away from the other team; they don't seem cut up about him going to the Mets. If we can get that dynamic going for Bedard, it should MASSIVELY ramp up demand.

That article is pretty blah. Just mentions teams that dropped out. Im with the crowd that this may be filler or a way to get the M's to increase offer.

Yep - and again, I think he is countering Bavasi's comments yesterday about how they are talking with a couple teams about pitching. Hey, I hope I'm underestimating this article. I really do. I hope MacPhail milks Clement out of them somehow and gets the deal done.

Im sorry, but sometimes I think the Sun plays us for fools, and thinks we dont pay attention. Or maybe this article is for the average O's fan who knows nothing about whats going on.

Yeah we do have to remember that we are pretty much the most intense of the O's fans around, and the Sun caters to a much larger audience.

I don't think they will trade with them either but they could get the M's to increase their package.

Yeah but I could see the Mariners sticking with that same package and I would be hard pressed to find anyone else that will match or beat their package...

IMO the Mariners FO know that we won't be dealing with the Red Sox and the Yankees and probaby don't feel threatened to up their offer...

But I hope I'm wrong and they really are that desperete to land Bedard.

I don't think the article is all that revealing either, but I think it's definitely worth looking at, for those of us who are looking for each hint as to what on earth is going on. After all, a direct quote from our GM is more than we can hope to get ourselves, isn't it. I think the article is more telling for what MacPhail doesn't say than what he does. He doesn't say "no comment," he doesn't say the deal is being finalized, and he doesn't say the M's deal is dead either. Also worth seeing is that he said that he is talking to Angelos on a daily basis, including today.

Wouldn't Votto, Cueto, & Bailey be right up there with any Mariners deal? I'd prefer Jones but Votto might be a safer bet as a hitter. Cueto & Bailey are better than any of the Mariner's pitching prospects, IMO. I just don't see how anyone can say Bruce NEEDS to be in any Cincy deal.

I thought the Sun article just said, the reason the talks with the Reds broke off was because the O's asked for Bruce at the Winter Meetings. That tells me MacPhail would want Bruce in the deal for Bedard.

Archived