Still think O's were wrong on Balfour?

LookitsPuck

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True but we can agree with the general idea that the less expensive the established player is from a salary standpoint the more expensive they are from a trade piece standpoint. So if Baltimore is trading prospects for affordable, potential impact bats, it is going to be maybe one really good bat and maybe one more solid first division bat, right? I mean, the system has some talent up top, but it's not likely to see a big influx of talent before the next draft, and those guys won't be traded until the following July. So basically, look at the pieces you have now and try to figure who you might be able to land.

Again, I'm doubtful that ultimately plays, and of course you're trading your pitching depth so hopefully the more expensive Jimenez doesn't end up in a situation where you are eating a chunk of the contract for below value performance (which we have to acknowledge is a possibility).

I'm fully aware that you're very, very skeptical of Duquette and his plan and execution. I have a bit more faith in the way things are progressing. But I also am not some wild-eyed optimist who think it's terribly likely the Orioles magically become an annual contender for anything but one of the wildcards, which means an average talent level in the .500 range. And I'm fine with that. I enjoy watching a watchable Orioles team, I'm comfortable with the realities of a middling budget and a GM who doesn't think plodding along towards a very distant goal of meaningful games is good. And if that means that the 2017 team has some holes and a few bad contracts and finishes 75-92, well, so be it. I'd rather watch that then any of the 1997-2011 years.

I'm fully aware that you're very, very skeptical of Duquette and his plan and execution. I have a bit more faith in the way things are progressing. But I also am not some wild-eyed optimist who think it's terribly likely the Orioles magically become an annual contender for anything but one of the wildcards, which means an average talent level in the .500 range. And I'm fine with that. I enjoy watching a watchable Orioles team, I'm comfortable with the realities of a middling budget and a GM who doesn't think plodding along towards a very distant goal of meaningful games is good. And if that means that the 2017 team has some holes and a few bad contracts and finishes 75-92, well, so be it. I'd rather watch that then any of the 1997-2011 years.

Dan has ruffled some feathers in the community that Stotle inhabits as well. I'll gladly watch any teams that Dan and Buck give us. They will compete.

• 4 weeks later...
Dan has ruffled some feathers in the community that Stotle inhabits as well. I'll gladly watch any teams that Dan and Buck give us. They will compete.

Me to :)

I think saying the O's were right on Balfour is a mixed bag. Lets not forget they were willing to sign him based on the medicals just not for the originally proposed deal. Its a case were the medicals and Balfour's ego saved us from what would have been a bad signing regardless of how many seasons it was for. Thank god Balfour has that ego and thank god we picked up the medical stuff that started this ball rolling. At the end of the day I am just thankful its Tampa's problem not ours.

Why is that? Because he cut back on some scouts and replaced them with stat people? Or has just been rude? Or maybe they don't like his choice of ties?

I am surprised at this post and find it to be very discouraging. I want to build for a winner and see it compete in a serious manner.

SI just picked the Astros to be in the 2017 World Series based on their collection of young talent.

Honestly picking the World Series champ in 2017 is about accurate as predicting were the stock market might be.....lol

That said Houston has some impressive talent in their system and seem to be intent on doing it right much like we have IMO. They will be a force in a few years.

Archived