Last-minute attempt by O's to sign ace holding up trade

birdsfan4ever

I know this has all fried our brains, etc with hearing this and that - but what brand are you smoking tonight that makes you think you will get Jones, Morrow, and Tillman in a trade let alone adding in Butler to that also? That is leaps and bounds above Jones/Sherrill/Tillman/Butler.

I still think you get that deal. If Bavasi has any pull than you only get Jones/Tillman/Sherrill and thats it - no 4th guy for making this whole trade scenario into a mockery of baseball business.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know this has all fried our brains, etc with hearing this and that - but what brand are you smoking tonight that makes you think you will get Jones, Morrow, and Tillman in a trade let alone adding in Butler to that also? That is leaps and bounds above Jones/Sherrill/Tillman/Butler.

I still think you get that deal. If Bavasi has any pull than you only get Jones/Tillman/Sherrill and thats it - no 4th guy for making this whole trade scenario into a mockery of baseball business.

Yeah, I don't think there's any chance we get Morrow. Bavasi loves him for some reason. There was talk he was more untouchable than Adam Jones, which of course makes no sense, but it was reported.

Actually its Jones, Sherrill,Tillman, Butler, & Micklos... I agree Morrow is a pipe dream.

I think Jones, Clement, Tillman , & Chen would do it.

Bavasi really wants & quite franlkly needs Bedard. The Orioles dont need to trade him. Especially if Angelos is willing to throw a fortune at him. I agree they should trade Bedard ... But Bavasi really has no pull... He meets the Orioles terms or doesn't get Bedard. And in that case who wins??? The M's wont over take the LAA without hum IMO.

Plus his job is rumored to be on the line!

Agreed 100% Lamda.

Clearly the M's thought they had a deal back on Sunday. The wheels they set in motion down in Venezuela made that abundantly clear, and some insiders here have confirmed it.

Now here it is Wednesday, and not only is the deal not done, but now they're reading in the papers about how maybe the O's might decide to try and extend their guy instead. Disgraceful.

If this jackassery on the part of the O's is ultimately rewarded with a higher yield, then it will be a travesty of epic proportions. The very notion is disgusting.

As it is, O's fans should be ashamed (yet again) at the manner in which their front office has operated, and be grateful if the original deal can still be salvaged.

I can only imagine the venom and righteous indignation that would be spewing around this place if the O's were the ones being strung along like this.

I can only imagine the venom and righteous indignation that would be spewing around this place if the O's were the ones being strung along like this.

Believe me. I've already developed a guilt complex this off-season. Sometimes I feel like I need to go onto the mlbtraderumors site and beg forgiveness.

Edit: I mean, I was thoroughly annoyed with the whole Santana drama, but this is just as bad if not worse.

Agreed 100% Lamda.

Clearly the M's thought they had a deal back on Sunday. The wheels they set in motion down in Venezuela made that abundantly clear, and some insiders here have confirmed it.

Now here it is Wednesday, and not only is the deal not done, but now they're reading in the papers about how maybe the O's might decide to try and extend their guy instead. Disgraceful.

If this jackassery on the part of the O's is ultimately rewarded with a higher yield, then it will be a travesty of epic proportions. The very notion is disgusting.

As it is, O's fans should be ashamed (yet again) at the manner in which their front office has operated, and be grateful if the original deal can still be salvaged.

I'm not really ashamed in any way. I assume that MacPhail is a competent business and baseball man and I'll judge him by facts and results. You make some real assumptions there. I think there's a strong case to be made that the M's made the blunder by not keeping Jones on a shorter leash, which is what spawned this whole damn cluster$#%! in the first place

I'm not really ashamed in any way. I assume that MacPhail is a competent business and baseball man and I'll judge him by facts and results. You make some real assumptions there. I think there's a strong case to be made that the M's made the blunder by not keeping Jones on a shorter leash, which is what spawned this whole damn cluster$#%! in the first place

Oh please.

Jones has been rumored to be in this trade for 6 weeks for crying out loud. You don't think anyone would've been able to put two and two together after he was abruptly lifted from the middle of his team's championship series and whisked back to the States? Give me a break.

This phony outrage over Jones' comments is not making the O's look any better. Strong case my arse.

hmm... I guess that is true. Afterall - nobody in the whole baseball world saw a trade coming with Seattle for Bedard with Jones going back the other way right? It completely blew me away when I heard it the first time this sunday, lol. If they truly were upset with that they need to get out of the baseball business.

Depending on the money, I'd rather extend Bedard than trade him for the Jones/Tillman/Butler/Sherill package. If Clement or Triunfel is included, then I'd probably be more willing to trade him, but I don't think a reasonable extension is a bad idea by any means. I think the timing of it now is odd, because we should have been dumping guys like Mora and Huff if possible to shed some salary and make other moves to acquire younger position players.

If Bedard is asking for 7/$100M, then its probably structured like:

$8M, $12M, $16M, $16M, $16M, $16M, $16M

If he'd agree to a similar deal but for only 5 years guaranteed:

$7M, $11M, $13M, $14M, $17M, $3M buyout or $18M club option

that would make it a 5/$65M or 6/$80M deal, and I'd be fine with something like that.

I'd still want to trade Roberts, which in all liklihood wouldn't happen, but I do think signing Bedard to a reasonable extension is better than trading him for the current Mariners offer. If it's definitely gonna take that 7/$100M deal though, then I trade him.

Agreed 100% Lamda.

This saga has been a lot of things but one thing it has never been is CLEAR. I don't see how anyone can make allegations against anyone at this point. Nobody knows the real story here. We will never know the whole story and frankly I don't care as long as the return for Bedard is great.

Extend him, trade him, send him to Japan. I don't even care anymore. This offseason has drained me of whatever energy I had left as an Orioles fan. I need Spring Training to re-invigorate me, but for now, I could give a rats behind what they do!

Here's the allegation I'd like to make: this latest turn of events show the O's lack of vision and/or communication. If you're going to try and extend Bedard, then you explore that option fully first. You don't shop a guy for months, trade an all-star veteran, prepare to trade another all-star veteran, all with the hopes of getting younger and rejuvenating a moribund club. You don't get so close to a deal being completed that every major sports media outlet mentioned the deal and the other team pulls their centerpiece player from winter ball, and then back out and say.... eh, maybe not. Maybe we'll extend our guy.

To me, if the club extends Bedard now, it shows that once again, they aren't willing to commit to one specific view for the team. Instead of going all-out to build around Bedard and Roberts, (or before that Tejada/Hernandez/Lopez) or instead of going all out to get younger and stock the club with as many quality prospects as possible, we'll muddle forward and maybe do this... maybe do that.

I'm sorry - you all can continue to defend the club, and think this latest development of PA getting personally involved as a good thing. I'll see it as another example of a club that doesn't truly know where it's going. If the deal goes down (and a Roberts deal, or other minor deals, follow) then I'll write a -whole lot- of this boondoggle off as rumor and miscommunication. On the other hand, if I see Bedard and Roberts down in ST in a few weeks, and the only move we made was trading Tejada.... well things really haven't changed that much huh? Both on the field, and in the FO.

Extend him, trade him, send him to Japan. I don't even care anymore. This offseason has drained me of whatever energy I had left as an Orioles fan. I need Spring Training to re-invigorate me, but for now, I could give a rats behind what they do!

Dipper I here you man. Although as excited as I am for Spring Training I won't be nearly as excited if none of these deals go down.

Archived