Say It Aint So But it Looked to me Like Markakis was loafing on both that triple and double!

Old#5fan

Going into tonight, Nick was at 0.0 dWAR, -1 Rtot, 4.2 UZR, -0.8 Def. Basically, average. According to Inside Edge, he has caught 100% of the balls rated "routine" or "likely," 50% of balls rated "even" or "unlikely," 14% of balls rated "remote" and 0% of plays rated impossible. He may look plodding out there, but there's not a lot of evidence that he's failing to get to a lot of balls than another RF would reach.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's suddenly pushing Gus Triandos slow. You could have almost taken a cat nap it took him so long to even approach that "triple." He gave up 25 feet before it hit the ground.

Did Nick say,"No," to a proposed hunting trip you had in mind? I can't imagine why anyone would turn you down, such a cheery fellow.

Yup. I didn't see the double, but I saw the triple. I don't know that I've seen a ball hit with that much hang time that wasn't even close to being caught. And it was very costly. And Jones doesn't make up for Markakis' lack of pure speed.

The situation is what it is. It ain't gonna get better. Nick catches what he can and has good coordination, but he's just really slow.

Should add that Nick plays RF walls and corners like a billiards champ and still has a very feared arm that runners seldom dare when considering taking another base. Makes up for a lot. As we saw when playing the A's, Cespedes, who can run and throw, but seems to misread and mishandle balls into the corner, made up for even that with his cannon arm.

Should add that Nick plays RF walls and corners like a billiards champ and still has a very feared arm that runners seldom take a chance on when considering taking another base. Makes up for a lot. As we saw when playing the A's, Cespedes, who can run and throw, but seems to misread and mishandle balls into the corner, made up for even that with his cannon arm.

Very good point. A lot of jokes being made at the expense of Nick here, but the truth is he came into ST in better shape not worse and that has paid off. Is the same guy he was when he came up? Uh, no. Not a surprise, but he isn't killing us out there either.

Did Nick say,"No," to a proposed hunting trip you had in mind? I can't imagine why anyone would turn you down, such a cheery fellow.

But he is: Seems to me that he's jumped on one of his buddy's few shortcomings as an opportunity to revel in Oriole nostalgia (From Gus to the Switch-hitting Slug: Memories of Oriole Slow-Footedness) and generate one hilarious analogy after another (beer-guzzling softball players, the Colt drum major). I'm sure Nick's honored to play the straight man here (speaking of Abbot and Costello), 's just waiting for the pie.

Nick is just that slow. And yes, the Orioles better be buying him out or extending him for something like 3/$21 million.

I think with him back hitting and putting up his OBP. He will certainly get it.

I don't know, it looked like little effort to me. In other words, I will do the minimum to make it look like I tried effort.

You and Nick have a lot in common, then. I guess you could say, you are to discussing baseball as Nick is to running down fly balls.

Going into tonight, Nick was at 0.0 dWAR, -1 Rtot, 4.2 UZR, -0.8 Def. Basically, average. According to Inside Edge, he has caught 100% of the balls rated "routine" or "likely," 50% of balls rated "even" or "unlikely," 14% of balls rated "remote" and 0% of plays rated impossible. He may look plodding out there, but there's not a lot of evidence that he's failing to get to a lot of balls than another RF would reach.

Shouldn't every player have a 0% rating for those balls rated "impossible?" Otherwise, they're not "impossible."

Shouldn't every player have a 0% rating for those balls rated "impossible?" Otherwise, they're not "impossible."

Sometimes the impossible happens.

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=31263919&topic_id=63371196&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Archived