Are the pitchers improving that much or is it Joseph?

wildcard

In June the O's have a 3.16 ERA second in the AL. Joseph has a 2.87 ERA in the games he has caught in May and June. That is about a run less then an average year for Wieters. Hundley has a 4.45 ERA since joining the O's with the same pitching staff.

Oh, and Joseph is 12 for 24 (50%) in throwing out runs.

Way to go Rookie.

What do you think? Is the pitching just getting better or are Joseph game calling, defense and throwing skills making the difference?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really tremendously small samples! That said, Buck thinks he is good. Hundley has actually played quite well. We are weathering the loss of Wieters far better than I would have expected. And the data? It's a pretty small sample don't you think? I guess you have to go with the eye test and Caleb "looks" like a guy. Also, I think Hundley has the pleasure of catching Ubaldo, and that would change a few things.

Really tremendously small samples! That said, Buck thinks he is good. Hundley has actually played quite well. We are weathering the loss of Wieters far better than I would have expected. And the data? It's a pretty small sample don't you think? I guess you have to go with the eye test and Caleb "looks" like a guy. Also, I think Hundley has the pleasure of catching Ubaldo, and that would change a few things.

If i had to catch Ubaldo, I'd probably end up screaming and issuing ultimatums by the third inning.

Or made sure I knocked in a few runs that day.

If i had to catch Ubaldo, I'd probably end up screaming and issuing ultimatums by the third inning.

Or made sure I knocked in a few runs that day.

Scoring some runs would help considering he's tied for dead last in the mlb for run support among qualifying starting pitchers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand how a guy can have a reputation as a mediocre defender for years in the minors and suddenly become a prodigy after 45 days in the majors. Are the MiL scouting reports that poor, or is it just a fluke that he's had a few good weeks in the majors?

The scouting reports on Flaherty were decent bat, but somewhat subpar at all defensive positions. Totally off base there too.

I don't understand how a guy can have a reputation as a mediocre defender for years in the minors and suddenly become a prodigy after 45 days in the majors. Are the MiL scouting reports that poor, or is it just a fluke that he's had a few good weeks in the majors?

The scouting reports on Flaherty were decent bat, but somewhat subpar at all defensive positions. Totally off base there too.

At least as far as throwing goes they made some adjustments in his footwork last season (using Wieters as the proper example).

In 2013 Joseph's Baysox were a .500 team with average pitching.

In 2012 Joseph's Baysox were a good team with average pitching.

In 2011 Joseph's Baysox were a good team with pitching that ranked 4th of 12 EL teams.

In 2010 Joseph's Baysox were an over-.500 team with average EL pitching.

If he's a catcher whose presence is enough to dramatically improve a pitching staff in even a small sample of games then we'd have to conclude he's either changed something very significantly very recently, or that the Baysox actually had bad pitching over the last four years and he improved it to average.

In 2013 Joseph's Baysox were a .500 team with average pitching.

In 2012 Joseph's Baysox were a good team with average pitching.

In 2011 Joseph's Baysox were a good team with pitching that ranked 4th of 12 EL teams.

In 2010 Joseph's Baysox were an over-.500 team with average EL pitching.

If he's a catcher whose presence is enough to dramatically improve a pitching staff in even a small sample of games then we'd have to conclude he's either changed something very significantly very recently, or that the Baysox actually had bad pitching over the last four years and he improved it to average.

Or that the improvement in scouting reports, defense, and the pitchers' ability to execute have acted in concert to highlight his strengths.

(it's the sss)

The staff improvement really has to make you question our catching in previous years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Folks,

He spent four years at Bowie.

That is as long as most of our starters spent in the minors.

They had eyes on him.

If he was really this good a defensive catcher they would have noticed.

I am enjoying the fairy tale but prepare for him to turn back into a pumpkin.

Joseph is a guy who was defensively deficient at one point. He has talked about it himself and the impact that Don Werner had on that aspect of his game. I think that some guys get a rep and it tends to stick, particularly were defense is concerned. I think that Werner did an excellent job of getting Joseph to focus on details that he could control to increase his defensive value. He is still not great at blocking balls ..not terrible by any stretch but not great. He is great though at pitch framing, calling the game and making sure he adjusts his positioning/mechanics when the situation calls for it (baserunner potentially stealing etc). Joseph is a testament to good coaching and hard work .

In June the O's have a 3.16 ERA second in the AL. Joseph has a 2.87 ERA in the games he has caught in May and June. That is about a run less then an average year for Wieters. Hundley has a 4.45 ERA since joining the O's with the same pitching staff.

Oh, and Joseph is 12 for 24 (50%) in throwing out runs.

Way to go Rookie.

What do you think? Is the pitching just getting better or are Joseph game calling, defense and throwing skills making the difference?

I'd like to present the Occam's Razor approach. Either:

a) Joseph, a 28-year-old journeyman minor leaguer who spent much of 2013 DHing, is now worth an historic 162 runs/season over Matt Wieters on defense.

or

b) It's a coincidence that he started catching as the staff has improved recently.

I know what I think is more likely...

Folks,

He spent four years at Bowie.

That is as long as most of our starters spent in the minors.

They had eyes on him.

If he was really this good a defensive catcher they would have noticed.

I am enjoying the fairy tale but prepare for him to turn back into a pumpkin.

I am not under the illusion that Joseph is a everyday starting catcher long term for a winning baseball team.

I do think however he is a guy that can be an adequate backup catcher and could with the right platoon partner be a bridge to another young catcher such as Cisco if you fill out the rest of your roster appropriately. Worst case scenario he is a AAAA type guy you can move up and down as necessary.

The real positive here for me is that IMO 10yrs ago this kid would have washed out of system. Improved coaching and development spotted some potential and developed it to positive effect on the team. Joseph is a guy who fills a role, fills it a low cost and allows you spend resources elsewhere. That's good stuff right there and what winning teams and organizations do.

Archived