Orioles Trade Targets?

Nite

Headley hasn't been very good for a season and a half now' date=' has injury issues, and is a rental. He had so little value on the trade market, the Padres had to send money to the YANKEES to get the deal done. The best you could hope for if you were the Padres is a boom or bust type prospect, and that is what the Padres got.[/quote']

It seems like a reasonable trade for both sides.

The Padres screwed up asking so much for him the past several years and ended up getting squat..... course that would among the many reasons they let their GM go.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Headley has not had a good year or even last year but stilll he would net more then that in a trade. Dupaula was bad in A ball at 23 and Solarte was not anything special. I would say this is equivalent of Flaherty and Hobgood.

Eduardo has had a poor year at AA. Hobgood has no trade value. Flaherty, very little.

I wonder if DD is going to make any moves at all. If no moves are made, I would be fine with it. I'd rather not give up anything of value if the return is just above average or average player. I'd be happy with an addition of Suzuki(kurt), LH bat or a BP arm(preferably LHP). I don't want a starter because there are not any out there we can afford and the ones we can afford I don't think they would help much.

I tend to think a move or perhaps two might be made. Nothing huge but perhaps shore up the bullpen to shorten the game and maybe a 2B/C who is an upgrade but not a big name or high cost.

I am fine with this approach, I would be furious if they gave up their future just to take a shot this season. KG, Bundy, Harvey are talents you just do not move if your a team operating with the budget the O's do (reasonable but not unlimited)

I tend to think a move or perhaps two might be made. Nothing huge but perhaps shore up the bullpen to shorten the game and maybe a 2B/C who is an upgrade but not a big name or high cost.

I am fine with this approach, I would be furious if they gave up their future just to take a shot this season. KG, Bundy, Harvey are talents you just do not move if your a team operating with the budget the O's do (reasonable but not unlimited)

I wonder if Schoop is untouchable.. or would they give him up for the right player in return.

And Solarte isn't great' date=' but they aren't paying him great money. He will probably be a solid bench guy that contributes to your team, that you will be paying nothing for for the next 5 years. That's not bad to go along with your boom or bust prospect.[/quote']

Du paula is not even in the Yanks top 20 prospect lists and they have no farm. I don't call him a boom or bust prospect.

Du paula is not even in the Yanks top 20 prospect lists and they have no farm. I don't call him a boom or bust prospect.

He's a high upside guy that has control issues and is starting to reach the age where you aren't sure if he is going to figure it out in time. But he didn't reach the ranking he did because he didn't have high upside. He's fallen because it looks like he won't reach that upside.

He's a high upside guy that has control issues and isn't starting to reach the age where you aren't sure if he is going to figure it out in time. But he didn't reach the ranking he did because he didn't have high upside. He's fallen because it looks like he won't reach that upside.

Expanding on this, his fastball is an absolute plus pitch and can be completely dominating. The problem is that he can't locate either his slider or change up. His stuff is quite good as can be seen by his K rate, but if you can only throw one pitch over the plate consistently it doesn't much matter how good that pitch is. If he ever learned to control those two secondary pitches he could be quite good, but he's already 23 and any progress has been fairly minute.

Expanding on this, his fastball is an absolute plus pitch and can be completely dominating. The problem is that he can't locate either his slider or change up. His stuff is quite good as can be seen by his K rate, but if you can only throw one pitch over the plate consistently it doesn't much matter how good that pitch is. If he ever learned to control those two secondary pitches he could be quite good, but he's already 23 and any progress has been fairly minute.

Thanks for the analysis!

Have you seen him pitch?

He's a high upside guy that has control issues and is starting to reach the age where you aren't sure if he is going to figure it out in time. But he didn't reach the ranking he did because he didn't have high upside. He's fallen because it looks like he won't reach that upside.

He has very similar numbers to Parker Bidwill this season both in A ball with the ERA, Whip BAA and K's. Bidwell is also younger then him. I don't see him as a starter and the drop in prospect ranking seems to agreee with that. He may end up a 7-8th inning guy but that is not a boom prospect IMO.

Archived