Orioles Trade Targets?

Nite

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>On paper, decent haul for Padres in Street trade. One less destinaton for Papelbon. DET, SF, BAL still possibilities.</p>— Matt Gelb (@MattGelb) <a href="

">July 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>On paper, decent haul for Padres in Street trade. One less destinaton for Papelbon. DET, SF, BAL still possibilities.</p>— Matt Gelb (@MattGelb) <a href="

Oh my, no to Paplebon.

Hundley to StL?

I have yet to see one person on this entire board support getting Burnett.

Considering that this place usually has disagreements on damn near everything, that is NOT a good sign that we should want him.

I would be ok with Burnett. Ok. Not in love. Ok.

I think trading for Burnett means someone else is going somewhere. We need six starters, but we don't need seven. right now there are rumors about the O's interest in Burnett and the Cards' interest in Hundley. If we can work a 3-way deal with Hundley to St. Louis, a prospect to Phillie, and Burnett to the O's, I'd be fine with that if it also meant Gonzo for Suzuki.

Basically, we would give up Gonzo and Hundley and get back Burnett and Suzuki. I think that makes us better.

As a salary dump or something, I would too. But Burnett is going to mean the loss of a few prospects. That I'm not okay with in light of what they have already given up over the last season and a half to shore up the rotation.

As a salary dump or something' date=' I would too. But Burnett is going to mean the loss of a few prospects. That I'm not okay with in light of what they have already given up over the last season and a half to shore up the rotation.[/quote']

I think he is mostly a dump.

I think he is mostly a dump.

And I just don't see that. Philly isn't hurting financially. I don't see how they have any need to get out of Burnett's contract. I think they will eat salary in a Burnett trade before they dump salary. But I hope you're right, kinda. I'm still not excited about the idea of paying Burnett 7.5 million next year. Which is why even a salary dump doesn't make sense. Philly is going to be sending money our way either way. I don't see how this deal gets done, with the Orioles just straight up taking Burnett's contract. If Philly is sending any money, they aren't getting a bag of balls in return.

That was interesting. Then we'd go after Suzuki?

I'm not sure why the Cardinals don't go after Suzuki directly. Makes me wonder how much the Twins are looking for.

Will Buck be comfortable enough with Joesph and Clevenger? What could Hundley bring back?

Some tidbits in here

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/07/19/jon-lester-easy-solution-for-red-sox/y3ueBCyv4tFCNhjtqFaxBI/story.html

3. Cole Hamels, LHP, Phillies ? The Phillies have been discouraged by what they?re hearing from other teams on Hamels. The Phillies consider him their biggest trade chip, but will hold on to him if they don?t get what they consider a fair deal. The Red Sox sent their top pitching scout, Eddie Bane, to watch Hamels before the break. The Phillies have scouted the Red Sox? major and minor league teams all season. One major league source said if the Phillies get a taker on the full contract and they get three top prospects, he?s gone, and Hamels, according to another major league source, wouldn?t mind.

4. Chase Utley, 2B, Phillies ? Right now it doesn?t appear that Utley is going anywhere because he can invoke his 10-5 rights and it looks as if he wants to remain in Philadelphia. But there?s time. And it hasn?t stopped teams such as the Blue Jays and Giants from taking their best shot, and they likely will through the end of the month.

5. Jonathan Papelbon, RHP, Phillies ? The Dodgers already have some interesting personalities in their clubhouse, so adding one more probably isn?t a big deal. Papelbon has worn out his welcome in Philly, but he?s had a very good year. So the Dodgers, in need of a late-inning reliever, could partake. The Angels were also dabbling before acquiring Street.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/07/19/jon-lester-easy-solution-for-red-sox/y3ueBCyv4tFCNhjtqFaxBI/story.html

Archived