Bottom line we need a real closer.

Greg

Number of pitches after the swinging bunt until the end of the game: 3

Real time covered during those three pitches: less than 2 minutes

If O'Day wasn't warm when the inning started, there is no chance he could have gotten warm before Donaldson hit even with stalling techniques employed. There just wasn't enough time.

Warming O'Day just in case is not a good idea for obvious usage reasons that Buck routinely explains.

Even if O'Day could have been used, the next two hitters being left handed makes bringing him in problematic. I like McFarland, but any strategy that has McFarland or O'Day facing the highest leverage lefties rather than Britton is a poor strategy IMHO.

In other words, I think Britton was the right choice there. It just didn't work out.

I disagree because, with one runner in scoring position against Donaldson and his numbers against lefties, the odds weren't bad (enough) that the one or more of the batters following Donaldson would come up with at least one run scored, and another runner in scoring position (possibly 3B) with less than two outs.

I disagree, but Hell...at least you've provided some reasoning.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buck should have had all the relievers throwing at one time. You never know when you're going to need one. They should start throwing in the 1st inning. We should get rid of Lough, Young, Hundley, Flaherty and go with a 11 man bullpen. Just so you can match up all game long.

I would have held back Chris Davis in case of extra innings.

Which is more then we can say for you.

I've spent most of this thread providing reasoning. Though I suppose that doesn't really shine through the light of your spot-on impression of a 15 year old girl typing lazily slapped together slang on the internet.

I've spent most of this thread providing reasoning. Though I suppose that doesn't really shine through the light of your spot-on impression of a 15 year old girl typing lazily slapped together slang on the internet.

Your reasoning, isn't reasonable. Maybe you should consult a 15 year old girl.

This is nuts: 15 pages on this thread in what, 13 hours?

Zack is the closer and there is zero chance of that changing. Deal with it.

This thread is how we deal with it.

Also booze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orioles standing in AL East at the All Star Break +4

Orioles standing in AL East at the beginning of second half +4

Orioles standing in AL East at the beginning of last nights game +4

Orioles standing in AL East at the end of last nights game +4

Orioles standing in AL East at the beginning of this thread +4

Orioles standing in the AL East 15 pages later +4.

You and I need to learn that we know less about how baseball is actually played at this level than the professionals that do it. It is a game of failures. And you and I really hate when we fail.

True of most of us, myself included.

Last week all of you were saying Britton belongs in the all star game. I said he did not. Now you guys are saying we need a new closer? Because of one pitch? The train of thoughts that some of you have is totally illogical. I can only imagine how you act in real life.

OMG. zOMG. OMG, you guys, srsly. Srsly, guys.

It only took him six pitches to put two baserunners on AND give up the game winning home run. It took him five pitches to find himself in a two-on, nobody out situation facing a guy who's OPSing approximately 1.090 against lefty pitchers.

And you think he should have just stayed in to face Donaldson no matter what? Did you get all that, or should I add some zzz's or extra o's to the ends of my words?

With Britton on the mound, there's a greater chance that sixth pitch induces a double play than a homer.

Fluky inning.

The chances it happens again like this are so slim it's crazy to call for a change after last night.

Fluky inning.

I will grant people the opportunity to flame up immediately after the game because none of us like the loss... But we have to be able to see what last night was in a more rational way right now. Cooler calmer rational.

That was a fluky inning.

Today is a new day

Archived