Bottom line we need a real closer.

Greg

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These threads are overreactionary and overblown. They express extreme ignorance on the part of the poster.

I understand you're frustrated, but there's no use looking like an idiot when you're at your lowest.

These types of reactionary threads should be prohibited on the OH.

Yea, you're right. Nobody should expect a win in that situation nor should they be frustrated or comment on it. They should just gladly accept a loss and say "Oh, well, that's just baseball."

Silly ignorant passionate Oriole fan. How dare a post like this be allowed.

Yea, you're right. Nobody should expect a win in that situation nor should they be frustrated or comment on it. They should just gladly accept a loss and say "Oh, well, that's just baseball."

Silly ignorant passionate Oriole fan. How dare a post like this be allowed.

This board has a game thread in which reactionary posts are welcome. It also has a rant forum that can be used for that purpose.

Some folks just love the page views posting on Orioles Talk gives them.

There is a certain randomness to blown saves in small samples. Show me two pitchers with an equal ERA and WHlP, and I'd say they have an equal chance of converting a save, regardless of whether one is a strikeout pitcher and one is a ground ball pitcher. But if you take a penny and a nickel and flip each 18 times, chances are that one will turn up heads more than the other. That's not because one is a penny and one is a nickel. It just worked out that way.

In Britton's case, he may have been a little rusty with his command and too strong after four days off. Sinkerballers get more sink when they're throwing regularly. It's disappointing that with an ERA and WHIP as low as his, his save rate isn't higher, but in 18 chances, things like that happen. One save vs. blown save makes a 5.6% difference in his save rate. Overall he's doing a good job and hopefully this was just a blip.

Britton had six days rest. July 11 to July 18.

Britton had six days rest. July 11 to July 18.

Thanks, I was posting from my phone and couldn't look it up. So that just reinforces my point. I think Britton will be just fine down the stretch. But maybe not perfect, so he'll probably draw more fire.

Not to worry. All is well, fellow kvetchers and reactionary pessimists like me! It is a bright morning and the Os are 4 games ahead in the AL East. Loss? What loss? Go after the As and their ugly softball uniforms!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heck with a closer. If your reliever is looking strong in the 8th, stick with the hot hand and pitch him in the 9th. Baseball is the only sport where you pull a guy with a hot hand to follow conventional wisdom and replace him.

I did not see the game, but I see the box score and it shows a reliever (even Hunter) mow down 4 guys then get replaced for the "closer" it infuriates me to no end.

You already know the guy on the mound has his good stuff, why risk changing that?!

WHY!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not see the game, but I see the box score and it shows a reliever (even Hunter) mow down 4 guys then get replaced for the "closer" it infuriates me to no end.

You already know the guy on the mound has his good stuff, why risk changing that?!

WHY!?!?

Because if you bring the closer in and he blows it you can say "I brought in my Closer, the other side just got it done." If you leave Hunter in and he blows it then you have to explain why you didn't use your Closer. If you pull Britton and bring O'Day in to face Donaldson then, even if he gets him out you have to explain why you pulled your Closer and if he is still your Closer.

It is a lot easier to manage if you just go with the GroupThink and robo-manage the ninth.

Because if you bring the closer in and he blows it you can say "I brought in my Closer, the other side just got it done." If you leave Hunter in and he blows it then you have to explain why you didn't use your Closer. If you pull Britton and bring O'Day in to face Donaldson then, even if he gets him out you have to explain why you pulled your Closer and if he is still your Closer.

It is a lot easier to manage if you just go with the GroupThink and robo-manage the ninth.

Or you want to have a straightforward way to manage workload. But I guess slavish devotion to orthodoxy could be it.

I was in the Bronx. It was away. Against a top team, with a two run lead. Britton allowed a couple scratch hits. And then a homer. I'd like to have options. does he have 4 blown saves? Or is it only three. It seems like four. If so, that is close to a 22 percent failure rate.I guess that is about normal for closers, but it scares me down the road if we have no options.

WHY!?!?

Most human beings perform better when they know what is expected of them, so they are assigned roles.

Or you want to have a straightforward way to manage workload. But I guess slavish devotion to orthodoxy could be it.

Don't forget cover if things go wrong. Very little second guessing when the closer blows the save.

Coming off the ASB there is no reason O'Day could not have been ready to face Donaldson (1.096 OPS vs LHP in 2014)

Archived