Bottom line we need a real closer.

Greg

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't forget cover if things go wrong. Very little second guessing when the closer blows the save.

Coming off the ASB there is no reason O'Day could not have been ready to face Donaldson (1.096 OPS vs LHP in 2014)

There was no guarantee that Donaldson was going to hit a homer there, in fact, that outcome was fairly unlikely. Then sitting right behind Donaldson were Voigt and Lowrie, both very vulnerable to lefites. I'm not sure you play matchup with Donaldson when nobody is out and you're going to have to pitch to the guys behind him if he does anything other than homer.

Of course, this is an academic discussion, because Buck was going with his closer, period, as virtually every manager does.

There was no guarantee that Donaldson was going to hit a homer there, in fact, that outcome was fairly unlikely. Then sitting right behind Donaldson were Voigt and Lowrie, both very vulnerable to lefites. I'm not sure you play matchup with Donaldson when nobody is out and you're going to have to pitch to the guys behind him if he does anything other than homer.

Of course, this is an academic discussion, because Buck was going with his closer, period, as virtually every manager does.

Of course you don't assume the homer but an OPS north of a grand is something to pay attention to. I guess they could have stuck Britton in right field while Donaldson was batting if you wanted to keep him in the game.

Tough loss for sure. I'm concerned about Britton, but not for his pitching. we'll find out about his mental toughness next time out. We can't have a repeat of what happened in Arizona last year.

Why would this loss bother him more then the blown save against the Yankees? To me the Yankee game would have been significantly worse on his psyche.

Of course you don't assume the homer but an OPS north of a grand is something to pay attention to. I guess they could have stuck Britton in right field while Donaldson was batting if you wanted to keep him in the game.

Used to be a manager a long time ago who was famous for that... forget who it was. I guess they didn't worry about arms getting cold in the outfield in those days.

Used to be a manager a long time ago who was famous for that... forget who it was. I guess they didn't worry about arms getting cold in the outfield in those days.

I don't think one batter would have hurt him.

If you would rather I guess Britton could have given him the IBB but man I hate putting the winning run on base.

Then you get into the debate about whether the platoon advantage for one batter outweighs having essentially a high school outfielder in the outfield for one batter.

I don't think one batter would have hurt him.

If you would rather I guess Britton could have given him the IBB but man I hate putting the winning run on base.

You would also be putting the tying run in scoring position.

Why would this loss bother him more then the blown save against the Yankees? To me the Yankee game would have been significantly worse on his psyche.

Long west coast road trip against 3 of the 5 teams that would make the playoffs if the season ended today.

I believe SO closers have an advantage over contact closers. If you don't want to admit that then so be it.

Closers Ranked by Reliever Swing%

1 Sean Doolittle

2 Kenley Jansen

4 Koji Uehara

7 Rafael Soriano

13 Glen Perkins

14 Jonathan Papelbon

15 Mark Melancon

18 LaTroy Hawkins

19 Hector Rondon

21 Huston Street

40 Darren O'Day

47 T.J. McFarland

51 Ryan Webb

56 Brad Brach

66 Tommy Hunter

80 Zach Britton

Closers Ranked by Reliever Contact %

6 LaTroy Hawkins

13 Jim Johnson

21 Tommy Hunter

44 Ernesto Frieri

59 Glen Perkins

63 Grant Balfour

66 Steve Cishek

80 Fernando Rodney

86 Joakim Soria

95 Jonathan Papelbon

109 Zach Britton

Source I know which team I want closing for me.

Archived