Bottom line we need a real closer.

Greg

I like Britton but unfortunately he is a sinker baller. If it is not sinking he is done. I am not a huge fan of left handed closers to begin with as it causes to many favorable match ups. he has done well but he has blown 3 of 18. I would never give the farm to get Koji back. if we give the farm it better be for a starter and another bat.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's true. Britton isn't as good as the best in the game. It's cause he "pitches to contact."

And that cost us in 2012 post season and most of 2013 season. The Orioles need to move on from this kind of closer.

Should I now scour the internet and find all the pitchers w higher K rates than Britton who are far worse pitchers, and feel as if I've proven something?

Or should I just get high and drink a beer and leave the inanity alone?

Your still going to lose games like this playing "matchup."

And I think the reason they don't do it is because the players prefer and perform better with defined roles.

Of course. You are always going to lose games, that's not really much of a reason to not do something. My argument would be that match ups put you in the best position not to lose the game. Which is why managers play match ups until the 9th. You double down when you have an 11 not because you are guaranteed 21, but because its the high % thing to do.

And I don't think bullpen guys need to have a defined role, I think many of them just need to have a not defined role: "closer." So many guys just seem to crumble when you call them closer and put them in for the 9th to shut the door. But I think continuing to play match ups helps that because no guy is coming into the 9th with the weight of the team on this shoulders. He isn't "the guy," he is just one of many that might be used, depending on the situation.

Should I now scour the internet and find all the pitchers w higher K rates than Britton who are far worse pitchers, and feel as if I've proven something?

Or should I just get high and drink a beer and leave the inanity alone?

Only the anti-SO or pro-GB or pro-Britton crowd (whichever form it is taken) scoured the internet to find a name in an attempt to disprove what nobody in this thread was trying to prove.

Of course. You are always going to lose games' date=' that's not really much of a reason to not do something. My argument would be that match ups put you in the best position not to lose the game. Which is why managers play match ups until the 9th. You double down when you have an 11 not because you are guaranteed 21, but because its the high % thing to do.

And I don't think bullpen guys need to have a defined role, I think many of them just need to have a not defined role: "closer." So many guys just seem to crumble when you call them closer and put them in for the 9th to shut the door. But I think continuing to play match ups helps that because no guy is coming into the 9th with the weight of the team on this shoulders. He isn't "the guy," he is just one of many that might be used, depending on the situation.[/quote']

Well, I don't think Britton lost this game cause he crumbled. He lost it b/c of a little bad luck, and a bad pitch. The same thing could have happened to every other pitcher in baseball, including those who strike out more; and it could have happened to Britton in any other game scenario.

I suggest the "fantasy"/"optimal" usages of relief pitchers isn't done is b/c, by and large, players want defined roles. They want to know when they're likely to come into a game and what kind of situation they're likely to be facing- before the game even begins. Night after night.

I will ask again. Who do you suggest the O's get? What SO reliever is out there you would suggest the O's go and get?

I would suggest they get a lefty, but that would be true even if Britton was having the greatest closer season in the history of baseball. The Orioles need another left hander in the pen, especially when TJ can't get lefties out and Buck seems done with Brian.

I suggest the "fantasy"/"optimal" usages of relief pitchers isn't done is b/c, by and large, players want defined roles. They want to know when they're likely to come into a game and what kind of situation they're likely to be facing- before the game even begins. Night after night.

You mean not done in the 9th? Because it is done every inning before the 9th.

I will ask again. Who do you suggest the O's get? What SO reliever is out there you would suggest the O's go and get?

Balfour strikes out a lot of guys and I am sure the Rays would trade him for a bucket of balls.

This thread is typical overreaction.

Yep. Britton in many ways reminds me of 2012 Jim Johnson.

The only similarities I see between Johnson and Britton are that, if the sinker isn't working, it's going to be a stressful ninth. Britton's stuff is ultimately better, he throws more strikes and he doesn't look traumatized when he's on the mound.

I would suggest they get a lefty' date=' but that would be true even if Britton was having the greatest closer season in the history of baseball. The Orioles need another left hander in the pen, especially when TJ can't get lefties out and Buck seems done with Brian.[/quote']

Wait, I'm confused. Not trying to be difficult but haven't you been preaching for 3 pages that the O's need to get a SO guy to be our reliever? Now your suggestion seems to be to go out and get a lefty MR or are you suggesting a left handed flamethrower for closer?

The only similarities I see between Johnson and Britton are that, if the sinker isn't working, it's going to be a stressful ninth. Britton's stuff is ultimately better, he throws more strikes and he doesn't look traumatized when he's on the mound.

No doubt, 2012 JJ was a poor man's version of 2014 Britton.

Archived