Bottom line we need a real closer.

Greg

Buck has to get out of this rigid box. Look at the drastic shifts. That has never been done before and now its routine. Matchups at the end of the game have to take precedence over this lone gunslinger approach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Should we just disregard the fact that Zach Britton has an 80% GB rate, like FIP does?

No. We just accept that it is what it is. If he is going to be your closer, he's going to have games like this. It's not "bad luck," its just the logical extension of his pitching style. To me the solution is to not have a closer. If we are going to have one, Britton is the best option out of the available ones. But every time he blows a save it can't be because of "bad luck." Guys make contact with his pitches. You have to take the good and the bad that comes with that.

I think that the 2012 team was a little better, particularly playing within the division that they did, which was much tougher than the 2014 team is playing within this year.

The 2012 team won 93 games, and had to settle for the wildcard (and a pressure-packed one-game playoff game.)

This team could win the division going 87-75, or 88-74.

Sometimes you get the breaks, and sometimes you don't.

Yep, the important thing is we put this behind us. I believe we can still play .500 despite this loss on the road trip. It is a brutal loss but it doesn't have to define the road trip.

Koji is 18/20. Blown saves happen to all closers, no matter how good.

2 for him 7 for Britton/Hunter. Give me Koji and Drew for Alvarez, Ed Rod, Comp pick, Int'l pool money. And I can guarantee you I won't be crying we gave too much up next year even if Alvarez and Ed Rod are All Stars.

No. We just accept that it is what it is. If he is going to be your closer' date=' he's going to have games like this. It's not "bad luck," [b']its just the logical extension of his pitching style.[/b] To me the solution is to not have a closer. If we are going to have one, Britton is the best option out of the available ones. But every time he blows a save it can't be because of "bad luck." Guys make contact with his pitches. You have to take the good and the bad that comes with that.

It bothers me when people don't understand this is what you sign up for with a sinkerballer.

No. We just accept that it is what it is. If he is going to be your closer' date=' he's going to have games like this. It's not "bad luck," its just the logical extension of his pitching style. To me the solution is to not have a closer. If we are going to have one, Britton is the best option out of the available ones. But every time he blows a save it can't be because of "bad luck." Guys make contact with his pitches. You have to take the good and the bad that comes with that.[/quote']

This is going to happen to every closer.

And it's going to happen to every pitcher who pitches in the 9th enough times, whether you want to call him a closer or not.

The guy Ks 7/9 and has an unheard of 80% GB rate. He's our best relief pitcher.

We lost with our best pitcher out there. It happens.

There's no need to change a thing about the back of that pen.

2 for him 7 for Britton/Hunter. Give me Koji and Drew for Alvarez, Ed Rod, Comp pick, Int'l pool money. And I can guarantee you I won't be crying we gave too much up next year even if Alvarez and Ed Rod are All Stars.

That's a trade the O's would regret like mad. You trade all that away for a pitcher who will likely throw 30 innings for you this year? Not me.

SO pitchers blow games too chief.

And there are many SO pitchers who are far inferior to Britton as an option to close.

I bet a SO closer would get the K on a 0-2 count.

Archived