Duquette owes it to the team and City to go for it...

mskrulz

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you're right. The mid 2000s, that was a hazy time. :)

It's understandable though. Everyone remembers Pujols's homer off of Brad Lidge that NLCS but people forget that the Stros won that series- I think because the Cards won it all the next year and '11 as well as the fact that the Stros have been one of the worst teams in baseball since. In fact, we're going to be having moments when we forget that the Astros were NL for years I suspect.

It certainly helps to have an ace but given the structure of the MLB playoffs I'd take my chances equally with quality starting all around than one guy. So, no we don't

have a classic ace like we did with Mussina in the mid 90's but I'd say we have better pitching from top to bottom.

o

The Cincinnati Red Machine won 4 Pennants and 2 World Series in 1970, 1972, 1975, and 1976.

Of those 4 teams, only the 1972 squad had an ace in Gary Nolan, who led the league in winning percentage (15-5) in that strike-shortened season, and also had a 1.99 E.R.A., and a 1.006 W.H.I.P.

The 1970 squad also had Nolan going 18-7 with a 3.27 E.R.A., but in those days, those numbers were not as vaunted as they are today.

Jim Merritt did win 20 games for that 1970 team also, but his E.R.A. was 4.08 (again, that number was not what it is today.)

The Reds' 1973 N.L. West division-winning team that was upset by the Mets in that year's N.L.C.S. also had several starting pitchers that had very good (but not great) seasons (Don Gullett, Jack Billingham, and Ross Grimsley.)

True. At this point Lester's value is astronomical for a guy that will bring back no pick if traded.

Trades are fun but once I trust the people in charge, whatever happens I can live with. Suzuki makes sense if price is reasonable, need a BP arm and a LH bat: the last two shouldn't cost a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trades are fun but once I trust the people in charge, whatever happens I can live with. Suzuki makes sense if price is reasonable, need a BP arm and a LH bat: the last two shouldn't cost a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. That said, I expect a record on the Hangout come Thursday at 4 PM.

I'm not talking about mortgaging future for a small time player but if you could honestly make a play for a Price, Lester, Sale, Shields, you wouldn't be willing to give up a Harvey or a Bundy? This team has so many question marks going forward (Cruz, Davis, Wieters, Markakis, Chen etc...) and has proven that it can win on the road and beat good teams. You don't take a chance on trading a minor league stud (I can name tons that haven't panned out) for a chance to win it all??? Anyone of those guys would pitch Game One in any playoff series and give us a great shot to win atleast 2 games.

I'm all in. Nobody remembers the okay teams. We all remember 1966, 1970, and 1983.

That's exactly what I'd not do. I also wouldn't do a Josh Hader for Bud Norris type trade.

There is no way to guarantee a world series win so how do you make moves to do it? You don't. The goal should be competitive for a long time and maximize the number of playoff appearances to maximize your chance at a world series. I can't disagree more with the premise of this post and I wouldn't be upset if we did nothing or made minor moves. The only way for the Orioles to compete long term is to build the farm system into a top 5-10 system.

There is no way to guarantee a world series win so how do you make moves to do it? You don't. The goal should be competitive for a long time and maximize the number of playoff appearances to maximize your chance at a world series. I can't disagree more with the premise of this post and I wouldn't be upset if we did nothing or made minor moves. The only way for the Orioles to compete long term is to build the farm system into a top 5-10 system.

It is very true that the organization has been rebuilt from the ground up. Ask Lou Angelos what impact the 2012 season and statue games had on him.

I don't think they need an ace. But I think there are a few small upgrades that could be made, namely a LH reliever and a 2B. I would like to see two trades, one for Andrew Miller and one for Asdrubal Cabrera. Those 2 shouldn't cost a big time prospect but would help the team tremendously.

That's exactly what I'd not do. I also wouldn't do a Josh Hader for Bud Norris type trade.

Sale is 25, a stud, with a fair contract. I would absolutely make a trade centered around Harvey or Bundy for him. I love having pitching prospects but at some point we have to be willing to use them as assets. I doubt that's happening anytime soon though. What is the argument for not trading Harvey or Bundy in a deal that nets Sale? He is currently as good as the ceiling of either of those two and is only 25.

Archived