Duquette owes it to the team and City to go for it...

mskrulz

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Braves?src=hash">#Braves</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Mariners?src=hash">#Mariners</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cubs?src=hash">#Cubs</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Nationals?src=hash">#Nationals</a> also have top evaluators present for Price-Lester.</p>? Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="
">July 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So...explain to me why the Orioles would need to be there to evaluate Price and/or Lester? How many times have we faced them?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The team that trades for Lester, and gives up anything of real value is stupid. He's already said that if they trade him, he'd like to go back to Boston as a FA, so what team would give up the farm for 2 months of Lester and know they have little shot of extending him? I hope not us. I'd hate to help the Sox for years to come with young talent, then also get to face Lester for another 6 years.

I'm not talking about mortgaging future for a small time player but if you could honestly make a play for a Price, Lester, Sale, Shields, you wouldn't be willing to give up a Harvey or a Bundy? This team has so many question marks going forward (Cruz, Davis, Wieters, Markakis, Chen etc...) and has proven that it can win on the road and beat good teams. You don't take a chance on trading a minor league stud (I can name tons that haven't panned out) for a chance to win it all??? Anyone of those guys would pitch Game One in any playoff series and give us a great shot to win atleast 2 games.

I'm all in. Nobody remembers the okay teams. We all remember 1966, 1970, and 1983.

Bundy or Harvey for 1 year rentals? No way. 6 years for 1 years is stupid.

Okay so it's a relevant argument in general but not for this topic. I'm not denying that these guys won't be good. I'm saying they are not gonna help us win a WS THIS YEAR!

You play for the present with an eye towards the future. So you trade away Bundy and Harvey. Maybe Walker. Maybe Cisco. Mayber EdRod. Add to the fact the Orioles didn't pick until the third round this year.

Considering their budget. How do you plan to field a competitive team in 2016?

You play for the present with an eye towards the future. So you trade away Bundy and Harvey. Maybe Walker. Maybe Cisco. Mayber EdRod. Add to the fact the Orioles didn't pick until the third round this year.

The Red Sox model? First. Last. First. Last. Oh, I forgot. you need a 220 million dollar payroll to do that.

Be honest with this answer.

Would you rather have 1 World Series victory or a competitive team for the next 5-6 years?

Would you rather have 1 World Series victory or a competitive team for the next 5-6 years?

Rather have 5-6 years of runs at the playoffs, Odds go up in winning a world series over 5-6 year period then doing a 1 off chance having to face the A's staff this year in ALCS.

Rather have 5-6 years of runs at the playoffs, Odds go up in winning a world series over 5-6 year period then doing a 1 off chance having to face the A's staff this year in ALCS.

Me too. I'll take more shots. I'd rather be the Buffalo Bills than the Tamp Bay Buccaneers.

I want to be competitive every year.

I think the best way to get that "1 World Series victory" is to be competetive every year for as many years as possible, and in one of those years you will get hot at the right time (October) and get the championship. I think that a team that tries to be competitive every year is actually MORE likely to get a World Championship than a team that tries to build to one specific year and puts all their eggs in the basket of winning that one year and then runs into Michael Wacha shutting them out in a key playoff game.

Look at the Ravens under Harbaugh... they put together a good team that has been inthe playoffs 5 of 6 years. The team that won the Super Bowl two years ago might not even have been the best overall team of the 6 years... but they got red hot in the postseason and took it all down.

Put your team in a position where they can contend nearly every year, and hope the championships come.

Now I'm not saying we shouldn't try to improve this team, but not at the expense of mortgating the future.

Archived