Final Day Trade Rumor Countdown thread. (Deadline 4 PM)

weams

If you are trying to win now, why deal Cespedes and Gomes for Lester? This deal makes little sense to me from an A's or Red Sox perspective. I want prospects not ML ready projects with very limited ability to be retained.

Red Sox have plenty of prospects. They want contributors for now and will likely spend big on a couple of players this offseason to augment.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When they re-sign Lester in the off-season it is like they traded Cespedes for Gomes. Would you call that bad?

Lester is taking the biggest deal he can find and that is obvious by his turning down Boston's offer and hitting free agency. I will take the field when it comes to any free agent departing from a team to hit FA. If the A's win the World Series this year than they clearly won the deal unless Boston wins it next season with Cespedes. Do the Red Sox lose the chance to offer Lester a qualifing offer because he was dealt?

Lester is taking the biggest deal he can find and that is obvious by his turning down Boston's offer and hitting free agency. I will take the field when it comes to any free agent departing from a team to hit FA. If the A's win the World Series this year than they clearly won the deal unless Boston wins it next season with Cespedes. Do the Red Sox lose the chance to offer Lester a qualifing offer because he was dealt?

If A's win World Series, yes it is a win for the A's for sure. Yes, Boston lost its chance to get a qualifying offer I believe (though I am no expert). Lester is signing back with the Sox - he said this pretty blatantly. I think there is a great chance he is back there and teammates with Cespedes next year.

They aint winning anything this year and they got worse.

I don't know... Yeah, they're not winning anything this year but NEXT year they may just resign Lester and they'll have a full season of Craig (who they obviously hope will rebound) and Cespedes. If they can't resign Lester, I'm sure they will be players either through trade or FA or any other top pitchers that are available.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Athletics?src=hash">#Athletics</a> getting “flooded” with calls on Hammel. Weren’t planning to trade him, but . . .</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Red Sox have plenty of prospects. They want contributors for now and will likely spend big on a couple of players this offseason to augment.

I get it, but you have next year of Cespedes. Without signing him to an extension and they could have just signed him as a FA. I can see how the Red Sox win the deal if Lester signs with the team down the line. I hate this deal from an A's perspective and hate it a little less from a Red Sox perspective. This is an odd trade IMO.

When they re-sign Lester in the off-season it is like they traded Cespedes for Gomes. Would you call that bad?

If re-signing Lester was a done deal, they would have done it months ago. Last I heard the Sox and Lester were far apart.

I just don't get why everyone thinks that's a given. It's far from it.

From ESPN, 6 days ago:

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Red Sox left-hander Jon Lester said Friday night that he would not be surprised if the team elected to trade him before Thursday's deadline, but said he still would be open to re-signing in Boston as a free agent."Yeah, why not?'' Lester said when the trade-then-sign scenario was proposed to him after Friday's 6-4 loss to the Tampa Bay Rays. "I mean, this is what I know, this is what I love. Like I've said many times, this is where I want to be. If they trade me, I completely understand.

"Like I said, no hard feelings. I know what they have to do for their organization. If that involves me, so be it. If it doesn't, I'll keep running out there every five days, pitching, and like I said, hopefully November we'll get something done.''

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Athletics?src=hash">#Athletics</a> getting “flooded” with calls on Hammel. Weren’t planning to trade him, but . . .</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

It will be funny if Oakland gets a good return for Hammels.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The As are blowing up their roster completely. It doesn't make sense to me.</p>? The Wayward O (@TheWaywardO) <a href="

Certainly an excellent point. You usually don't tinker with a team so dominant.

Archived