Was ERod too much for Andrew Miller

isestrex

ERod for Miller  

224 members have voted

1. 1. ERod for Miller

• It's a steal
    • I'm fine with that price but I'll miss him.
    • Too much: worried about only 2 months of Miller vs a long career of ERod

A couple of factors I think people on the outside don't pay any attention to that do matter:

- If Miller likes Baltimore and the O's organization, he's much more likely to sign here than he would if he wasn't traded here.

- The O's are now in a position where they don't have to go to both O'Day and Britton every game they have a small lead. Those 2 were both bound to get over-used. I want to see Britton here for many years to come (and then got more than EdRod for him in trade :cool: ) and not end up like JJ.

A couple of factors I think people on the outside don't pay any attention to that do matter:

- If Miller likes Baltimore and the O's organization, he's much more likely to sign here than he would if he wasn't traded here.

- The O's are now in a position where they don't have to go to both O'Day and Britton every game they have a small lead. Those 2 were both bound to get over-used. I want to see Britton here for many years to come (and then got more than EdRod for him in trade :cool: ) and not end up like JJ.

But how much money is Miller likely to sign for, and can the Orioles really afford to invest that much in a bullpen arm? I'm not sure we are the type of team that can afford to pay market prices for the bullpen.

But how much money is Miller likely to sign for' date=' and can the Orioles really afford to invest that much in a bullpen arm? I'm not sure we are the type of team that can afford to pay market prices for the bullpen.[/quote']

I do not think this deal has anything to do with the Orioles in 2015.

Ok ciol.

I have I've Kat question for anyone who actually knows. I dont want an opinionated answer.

Hypothetically we traded

Bundy

Flaherty

Lough

To me that proposal is the equivalent to if not better than what they actually got.

We receive David Price. If it's correct that Price is under control through 2015.

Why not trade for him then deal him at next year's deadline to bring back what we lost.

Therefore he would have been a full years worth rental. And ended up bringing us something back if we traded him next year. On top of being a possible piece that helps us hoist the trophy.

Wouldnt that be a win win? Would that not make the most sense?

That is as far from the truth as a person could stretch something.

Ok ciol.

I have I've Kat question for anyone who actually knows. I dont want an opinionated answer.

Hypothetically we traded

Bundy

Flaherty

Lough

To me that proposal is the equivalent to if not better than what they actually got.

We receive David Price. If it's correct that Price is under control through 2015.

Why not trade for him then deal him at next year's deadline to bring back what we lost.

Therefore he would have been a full years worth rental. And ended up bringing us something back if we traded him next year. On top of being a possible piece that helps us hoist the trophy.

Ok. Three facts. Not Opinions.

Price is worth more now than he can ever possibly be.

For next year there are only 15 teams that can pay him.

At the break next year, he no longer is traded with a pick as compensation. He is worth dramatically less then.

But how much money is Miller likely to sign for' date=' and can the Orioles really afford to invest that much in a bullpen arm? I'm not sure we are the type of team that can afford to pay market prices for the bullpen.[/quote']

That's a good question. My thinking is that he's still going to be underpaid since he's being severely underpaid this year at 1.9 mil. People usually use the prior year as a starting point to figuring how much they'll get paid next year. Another factor might be that the closer is getting paid peanuts, so theoretically there's more money to pay the rest of the pen. And I'm guessing that they let Matusz and his 2.4 mil (plus raise) go if they keep Miller. Remember, our next door neighbors decided they could afford to give Soriano a 2/28 contract when they already had Storen and Clippard.

Ok ciol.

Hypothetically we traded

Bundy

Flaherty

Lough

What did the Rays receive.

- A potential starting Major League middle infielder. That costs nothing.

- A Seasoned Left Handed American League rotation replacement for Price. That costs nothing.

- A High Ceiling 18 year old Short Stop in class A. That costs nothing.

Why do you think the Rays traded David Price? Because he costs and will cost, and will always cost MUCH more than they can pay for him. Now or next year. They were playing good. And they still traded him.

The Tigers do not care what he costs.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...