Was ERod too much for Andrew Miller

isestrex

ERod for Miller  

224 members have voted

1. 1. ERod for Miller

• It's a steal
    • I'm fine with that price but I'll miss him.
    • Too much: worried about only 2 months of Miller vs a long career of ERod

9 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

i thought there were pitchers at AA and AAA performing better and thought to have a better slot at the parent club, of course, wasnt one of those we traded to the Brewers later on?

He was ranked below Bundy and Harvey.  He had also been having a down year when traded.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He was ranked below Bundy and Harvey.  He had also been having a down year when traded.

Going into 2014, he was no. 3 on most lists, behind Gausman and Bundy and ahead of Harvey.   By the time he was traded, Gausman had graduated and Harvey (then at Delmarva) had passed EdRod in the minds of most people.    Agreed that EdRod was having an inconsistent season to that point, but I believe he still would have ranked ahead of Wright and Davies, who were well below him on most lists going into the season.    

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Going into 2014, he was no. 3 on most lists, behind Gausman and Bundy and ahead of Harvey.   By the time he was traded, Gausman had graduated and Harvey (then at Delmarva) had passed EdRod in the minds of most people.    Agreed that EdRod was having an inconsistent season to that point, but I believe he still would have ranked ahead of Wright and Davies, who were well below him on most lists going into the season.    

I agree.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I think his pitched himself out of that number 3 slot on pre-season ranking list.

At best EdRod was thought to be a middle of the rotation starter.

Harvey was/is consider a top of the roation, much like both Gausman and Bundy

9 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think his pitched himself out of that number 3 slot on pre-season ranking list.

Did he have a problem with "constituency"?  ;-)  

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Harvey’s stock rose considerably during the 2014 season.    Going into 2014 he was unranked by BA and MLB.com, 58 by BP.    After the season, he was ranked 68, 41 and 20 by those three publications.   

EdRod was ranked 65, 68 and 61 going into the season, and 59, 85 and 65 when it was over.    His stock was a little lower at the time of the trade, and bounced back after a strong performance after the trade.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Harvey’s stock rose considerably during the 2014 season.    Going into 2014 he was unranked by BA and MLB.com, 58 by BP.    After the season, he was ranked 68, 41 and 20 by those three publications.   

EdRod was ranked 65, 68 and 61 going into the season, and 59, 85 and 65 when it was over.    His stock was a little lower at the time of the trade, and bounced back after a strong performance after the trade.   

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/orioles-to-acquire-andrew-miller.html

Though he profiles more as a middle-of-the-rotation arm,

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

That’s, fine, I didn’t quarrel with the idea that he was projected as a middle of the rotation arm.   And in fact, that’s about what he is, when he’s been healthy (105 ERA+).    FWIW, Bundy has an ERA+ of 105 and Gausman is at 101.    I still think they both have more upside than EdRod, but we’re still waiting for them to prove it.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know what you mean by “ahead of EdRod on the food chain.”    EdRod was a top 100 prospect going into 2014 and so far as I recall was ranked above Wright on every reputable list.    I’m not sure what other pitchers you are referring to, unless you mean Bundy or Harvey.

Erod was clearly the #3 pitching prospect in the organization behind Bundy and Harvey. Davies was #4 at the time. Everyone else were just guys.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If it was the 2017 Orioles making that same deal, then I would have a problem with a 2 month rental for a team clearly not equipped to win a pennant.  

Agreed, but the 2014 was a World Series contender with Miller. That's why I never had a problem with the deal. 

17 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Agreed, but the 2014 was a World Series contender with Miller. That's why I never had a problem with the deal. 

People forget how good that 2014 team was. Even with the injuries/suspension. KC beat us in 4 one run ball games.  They got every bounce/break that postseason. 

Would Ed Rod have changed anything about our 2015-2017 seasons?  We still miss the playoffs twice and make the WC game once. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

People forget how good that 2014 team was. Even with the injuries/suspension. KC beat us in 4 one run ball games.  They got every bounce/break that postseason. 

Would Ed Rod have changed anything about our 2015-2017 seasons?  We still miss the playoffs twice and make the WC game once. 

People forget.  

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

40 minutes ago, weams said:

People forget.  

Apparently it’s you guys who forget.    The Orioles did not lose either of the first two games of that series by one run, though they were both close games.    

In any event, I don’t think people have forgotten how good that team was.    It was the best team the O’s have had since 1997.    We all know that.   But it doesn’t change my opinion that the short-term advantage of having Miller wasn’t worth the long-term advantage of having EdRod.    And as I’ve said, reasonable minds can differ on this.