Was ERod too much for Andrew Miller

isestrex

ERod for Miller  

224 members have voted

1. 1. ERod for Miller

• It's a steal
    • I'm fine with that price but I'll miss him.
    • Too much: worried about only 2 months of Miller vs a long career of ERod

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Apparently it’s you guys who forget.    The Orioles did not lose either of the first two games of that series by one run, though they were both close games.    

In any event, I don’t think people have forgotten how good that team was.    It was the best team the O’s have had since 1997.    We all know that.   But it doesn’t change my opinion that the short-term advantage of having Miller wasn’t worth the long-term advantage of having EdRod.    And as I’ve said, reasonable minds can differ on this.   

"Reasonable minds" can differ on many things, including this. To imply that someone isn't reasonable because they have a different opinion than you is a very naive sentiment. 

• 1 year later...

Bump....

My mind turned to this subject when EdRod won a game a couple days ago.    He’s now 40-29 for Boston, ERA+ of 106, valued at 8.3 rWAR.     And he still has 2.5 years to go until he’s a free agent.    Seems like he’s been pitching up there forever, though he never seems to stay healthy for 162 games.   

• Upvote 1

I have no idea what factors played into DD’s mind but for me the way ownership operated I get going for it. 

The odds that you were ever going to build a long term contender like a St Louis were very poor. There was a window and he went for it. If we had a modern thinking owner who was open to doing things the right way -like I hope now- then maybe I would feel different. 

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bump....

My mind turned to this subject when EdRod won a game a couple days ago.    He’s now 40-29 for Boston, ERA+ of 106, valued at 8.3 rWAR.     And he still has 2.5 years to go until he’s a free agent.    Seems like he’s been pitching up there forever, though he never seems to stay healthy for 162 games.   

Honestly, he seems pretty underrated around baseball especially being on the Red Sox. 

He wasn't doing well here when we traded him and that's almost certainly entirely the Orioles' fault at the time with regards to their pitcher development. 

Oh well! Miller was fun while we had him.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Honestly, he seems pretty underrated around baseball especially being on the Red Sox. 

He wasn't doing well here when we traded him and that's almost certainly entirely the Orioles' fault at the time with regards to their pitcher development. 

Oh well! Miller was fun while we had him.

Or, you know, the lingering effects of the injury he had suffered that year.

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bump....

Roughly 8-10 wins a year and a 106 ERA+. I feel like if you told me that was what he would be at the time of the trade, I'd have been more ok with the trade, not less. That should be replaceable by a good franchise. We did not, of course, but that's because we were a dumpster fire.

He's not a TOR type pitcher. Any competent franchise should able to replace his production. Now given how embarrassing the previous regime was at creating a consistent talent pipeline/accurately assessing free agent pitching, it's fair to question whether it was too much. But at face value, it wasn't too much at all.