Jim Johnson released by the A's (Signed by Detroit)

xian4

If you are right he is a Oriole next year.

I hope so. I really think JJ is a much better pitcher than he has showed, actually I know he is based on his prior results. He may be dealing with some shoulder stuff, that could be a factor and it also could be largely mental. Either way I really feel regardless of what he does this year, if we bring him in he will bounce back to a pretty serviceable guy out the pen at a pretty cheap price so long as he is physically right.

Think about it, you go to a contender who is paying you 10 million to close, you struggle out the gate, people are talking, you have very few confidants/shoulders to lean on because your new there. I can see how that can snowball for a guy who is good but not dominant. You start to doubt yourself etc.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Jim is healthy, I have a lot of confidence that the O's will get him back to being a good pitcher mechanically, mentally and emotionally. Buck has great confidence in him. That is something that was probably missing in Oakland. I think Jim has a good September if he is with the O's.

It would be great. And as likely as Joe Saunders pitching well in October. It could happen.

If he goes to Norfolk and pitches well, he will surely come up in September and could be insurance for a reliever who gets hurt. But when Ubaldo returns the bullpen will consist of:

Group 1 - The Celestial Hurlers

- Britton

- O'Day

- Miller

Group 2 - The Lesser Luminaries

- Hunter

- McFarland

- Brach

And 3 - The 6th Starter

This leaves Matusz the odd man out and no room at the inn for JJ or Saunders. But, as Buck always says, these things have a way of working themselves out.

Former O's favourite and many people will be hoping that he returns to Baltimore.
Orioles fans are never satisfied. I am extremely happy with the job Tommy Hunter and Zach Britton have been doing. We don't need Jim Johnson back here to disrupt the Karma we have going in the bullpen, which happens to be one of the best right now.

Orioles fans are never satisfied. I am extremely happy with the job Tommy Hunter and Zach Britton have been doing. We don't need Jim Johnson back here to disrupt the Karma we have going in the bullpen, which happens to be one of the best right now.

In September, there will be plenty of room for relievers. I"d rather risk an inning on Jim than Meek or Guilmet.

We don't need more short relief. I think we ask him to go to AAA or AA to stretch him out for 2-3 inning stints and see if he can help us in middle/long relief. Gives him a chance to get MiL innngs, audition him for a 2014 role with O's where we need help, and gives him a chance to give the O's and other teams a look at him over extended inning work.

We don't need more short relief. I think we ask him to go to AAA or AA to stretch him out for 2-3 inning stints and see if he can help us in middle/long relief. Gives him a chance to get MiL innngs, audition him for a 2014 role with O's where we need help, and gives him a chance to give the O's and other teams a look at him over extended inning work.
in September, there is no long relief.

Why overuse your best bullpen arms in September when you can supplement them with battle-tested guys like JJ, Saunders, Webb, and Rapada? Get these guys going in Norfolk and let 'em loose in September.

Archived