Jim Johnson released by the A's (Signed by Detroit)

xian4

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Athletics?src=hash">#Athletics</a> release RHP Jim Johnson</p>— Oakland Athletics (@Athletics) <a href="
">August 1, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'd take him on a MiL deal and bring him up in September. Definitely not better than Brach, Webb, T.J., or anyone else in the pen he'd be replacing.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Johnson's crash and burn is pretty nuts. It's pretty amazing how bad he pitched this year. I assume he is not hiding an injury otherwise he would have been on the DL a long time ago. Just crazy.

No way he fits into the O's this year. It would be great if you could sign him to a "flyer" type deal in the offseason, but I don't even see how he would fit into an expanded roster bullpen. Realistically fit, that is. The O's are going to have three or four decent arms to call up if they so choose. Only one or two of those are likely to throw more than just a couple of innings. So Johnson would throw two or three innings and then be a free agent. Not worth the trouble. But an offseason flyer type deal would be good. He'll probably get a ML contract from someone in the offseason though.

Shouldn't this be in the MLB section?

If it did, I would never see it. I don't care for the thread topic layout, so I just hang out in here...and since people take these categories so seriously, I just limit my discussions to Orioles (MLB) topics exclusively...

That said, I don't see how this wouldn't be relevant to the Orioles, given there has been some talk (whether in support or against it) of trying to bring him back if this did indeed happen...for the record, I don't think it is worth it unless he would accept a minor league deal. And even then, I would worry about old loyalties giving him chances that he doesn't earn and then blowing a game for us in September when the rosters expand...

So, no thanks on bringing back JJ...

Going to Norfolk and retiring some AAAA players in a no pressure situation for a couple of weeks wouldn't be really impressive.

Not enough to warrant a call-up in September when all our games are likely to be must-win pressure cooker 1, 2, & 3 run nail-biters (since we don't play in blow outs).

I hope DD passes on the idea of bringing him back (at least until the offseason).

Going to Norfolk and retiring some AAAA players in a no pressure situation for a couple of weeks wouldn't be really impressive.

Not enough to warrant a call-up in September when all our games are likely to be must-win pressure cooker 1, 2, & 3 run nail-biters (since we don't play in blow outs).

I hope DD passes on the idea of bringing him back (at least until the offseason).

I can see the value in sending him to Norfolk to get some eyes on him before deciding to offer him a deal in the offseason.

I still think he would be better served moving to the National league.

The O's won by not paying Johnson 10 million dollars.

The O's would win further if they'd promote the guy they got for him (that's sporting a 791 OPS in Norfolk) as opposed to suffering through the anemic production from our 2B's.

Does Duquette just simply not want to show up Billy Beane in this trade?

People are letting their emotions get the best of them. Yes, he sucked it last year and possibly cost us the playoffs. However on a minor league deal, this is a no-brainer. If he can turn it around anywhere, it is here. Heck, he can try starting: lord knows Norfolk needs it!

I want to see this done! No brainer IMO.

I'd sign him to MiL deal. Why not? Maybe even stretch him out to start, something he always wanted to do.

Since it's been explained to you, repeatedly, that the "make him a starter" suggestion is ridiculous, here's a Bart Simpson .gif. Because, why not?

Random_bart.gif

Archived