Jim Johnson released by the A's (Signed by Detroit)

xian4

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doesn't Rick Peterson still work for the Orioles? Don't hear much about what he is doing this year.

Rick is our Minor League pitching coordinator. The last time I saw Rick, he was working with Eduardo Rodriguez on his breaking pitches with the string in the bullpen for Bowie in Harrisburg. He goes among the teams to help various high profile pitchers. He is a very important part of all the good thing that have been happening with Orioles minor league pitching.

If JJ were willing to come in and work at AAA to get himself on track then I can see a use for him and it is a no brainer to add him. If not then no thanks. I tend to suspect someone will offer him a spot in their bullpen to get a look at him but you never know.

Glad to read that Buck says the O's are interested in JJ.

August is a tough month for pitchers. Its hot, humid and arms get tired 2/3 of the way through the season. Injuries happen. Chen has a history of fading in August, but it can happen to anyone.

I hope they sign JJ to a minor league contract and tell him they will promote him on Sept 1st to the O's if not before. I'd give him a locker in Bowie and one in Camden Yards and let him hang with his friends on the team whenever he is not pitching. The Orioles know him best and will turn him around faster than anyone else. It will cost the O's about 200k. Money well spent IMO.

You never have enough pitching.

JJ isn't the only Oriole to live in Sarasota. Wieters lives there too.

Glad to read that Buck says the O's are interested in JJ.

August is a tough month for pitchers. Its hot, humid and arms get tired 2/3 of the way through the season. Injuries happen. Chen has a history of fading in August, but it can happen to anyone.

I hope they sign JJ to a minor league contract and tell him they will promote him on Sept 1st to the O's if not before. I'd give him a locker in Bowie and one in Camden Yards and let him hang with his friends on the team whenever he is not pitching. The Orioles know him best and will turn him around faster than anyone else.

You never have enough pitching.

That would be a win if the O's can talk him into it or it turns out to be his best option.

I won't blame JJ though if he gets a MLB opportunity if decides to take it. I would love to see them bring him in to compete next ST...I think some off time and a familiar team environment could put him in a position to rebound nicely.

That would be a win if the O's can talk him into it or it turns out to be his best option.

I won't blame JJ though if he gets a MLB opportunity if decides to take it. I would love to see them bring him in to compete next ST...I think some off time and a familiar team environment could put him in a position to rebound nicely.

There is no financial interest for Jim Johnson to pitch in the major leagues until he is confident that he has his mojo back. He is fully vested.

As far as next year there is a pretty big money issue to overcome. Jim made 10m this year by signing as a closer. Next year I don't see him as a closer. That will drop his salary dramatically. To the O's he is probably worth about 3M. If he wants or can get more, I think he signs elsewhere. He will be a FA, just have to see how it goes.

As far as next year there is a pretty big money issue to overcome. Jim made 10m this year by signing as a closer. Next year I don't see him as a closer. That will drop his salary dramatically. To the O's he is probably worth about 3M. If he wants or can get more, I think he signs elsewhere. He will be a FA, just have to see how it goes.

I do not see Jim getting much of a contract unless he can show he has stuff again.

JJ will be lucky to get someone willing to give him more than say 1 million.

If he were to close out the year on a high note, show some signs of getting right then maybe someone goes crazy and gives him 1.5 million ...if he continues to struggle he may end up only getting a league min contract or a minor league deal.

I do not see Jim getting much of a contract unless he can show he has stuff again.

If Jim is healthy, I have a lot of confidence that the O's will get him back to being a good pitcher mechanically, mentally and emotionally. Buck has great confidence in him. That is something that was probably missing in Oakland. I think Jim has a good September if he is with the O's.

If he were to close out the year on a high note, show some signs of getting right then maybe someone goes crazy and gives him 1.5 million ...if he continues to struggle he may end up only getting a league min contract or a minor league deal.

Either scenario he might be worth a look. If he gets right he is an effective reliever. He may not be closer material but he was pretty good at one point. If he struggles and you get him on a league min or minor league deal then you could have a cheap bounce back candidate. Rest and familiar environment might be the right elixir for JJ

If you are right he is a Oriole next year.

Archived