Much Deserved Separation in the Standings

JR Oriole

Right. This is the formula. 6 great innings out of a rested starter becomes a 6 inning game for the other team with Miller/O'Day/Britton; add a 2 or 3 run homer and stir. The home run is a much bigger weapon in a low scoring game. We have a very big singular advantage over most of the other playoff teams in this regard. Even CD hitting under .200 has 19 dingers (on a pace for 25). We can win a low scoring game with one swing. That gives us the proverbial sluggers chance in any playoff game. It also makes the Andrew Miller acquisition all the more notable, in shortening the game to 6 innings.
You might want to re-run those numbers. You may be including games he didn't play in for his per-game rate.

Chris is currently sitting at 21 homers with 100 games played. There are 44 team games remaining. That's a rate of 4.76 games per home run. Applying that rate to the remaining 44 games gives us 9.24 projected homers to close out the season, or a projected total of 30.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chris is currently sitting at 21 homers with 100 games played. There are 44 team games remaining. That's a rate of 4.76 games per home run. Applying that rate to the remaining 44 games gives us 9.24 projected homers to close out the season, or a projected total of 30.

I'll take the over, despite Chris' struggles. He really hasn't had what I'd call a hot streak, by his standards.

Blue Jays lose again to the Mariners, 6-3. Our lead over them is now 6.5 games, 8 in the loss column, and they have 41 games in which to try to catch us. We lead the Yankees by 7 games, 7 in the loss column, and they have 44 games in which to catch us. We are making it really tough on them. Toronto has to play .658 ball from here to win 90 games, while thevYsnkees have to play .659 to do so. We can get to 90 by playing .500 baseball. It's our division to lose.

Blue Jays lose again to the Mariners, 6-3. Our lead over them is now 6.5 games, 8 in the loss column, and they have 41 games in which to try to catch us. We lead the Yankees by 7 games, 7 in the loss column, and they have 44 games in which to catch us. We are making it really tough on them. Toronto has to play .658 ball from here to win 90 games, while the Yankees have to play .659 to do so. We can get to 90 by playing .500 baseball. It's our division to lose.

I agree.

It would take a pretty significant Orioles collapse for them to not win the division, and I don't see this team doing that, with or without Manny Machado for the rest of the season.

I agree.

It would take a pretty significant Orioles collapse for them to not win the division, and I don't see this team doing that, with or without Manny Machado for the rest of the season.

We can almost put the division away these next 10 games if we play great ball and be too far ahead even before September. I still think we won't even have to win 90. I said a month ago that 87 wins would be the number and I think that is still the case. I can't see anyone else getting close to 90. In order to get to 88 wins we have to go 20-24. If we can put a 7-3 or 8-2 mark up the next 10 we only have to go 13-21 the rest of the way to get to 88 wins.

Only problem is we still have a lot of games left vs NYY and TOR. Still, Baseball Prospectus has us >90% to win the division. That seems about right. That's 8 series wins in a row, all against >.500 teams. Next up Cleveland. Looking forward to being there on Sunday!

Only problem is we still have a lot of games left vs NYY and TOR. Still, Baseball Prospectus has us >90% to win the division. That seems about right. That's 8 series wins in a row, all against >.500 teams. Next up Cleveland. Looking forward to being there on Sunday!

E.S.P.N. has us at 94 %.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings

They just love the Orioles over there. ;)

Mariners beat the Blow Jays AGAIN. 7.5 game lead over them (9 in the loss column), 8 game lead on the Yankees. Do these teams have a pulse?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eFwkv14u3b4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's a lot of fun this way.

As I pointed out in another spectrum, the other side of the success coin speaks very well of the Orioles ........ avoiding losing streaks.

The Orioles have not lost 2 games in a row in 33 games.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2014-schedule-scores.shtml

The last time that the Orioles lost 2 games in a row was on June 28th and June 29th, against the D-Rays.

Of the many positive attributes that this team has, putting a loss behind them is right up there with any of the others.

Actions speak louder than word. Any manager, any player will always say, "We just have to put this loss behind us."

PROOF that you can indeed put said losses behind you bear out in the results on the field. And going 33 consecutive games without so much as a 2-game losing streak certainly bears that out.

Make that 37 consecutive games.

The Orioles have gone 37 consecutive games without so much as a 2-game losing streak.

No sexy 8 or 9-game winning streaks so far this year, but they sure as hell stem the bleeding of a loss pretty well.

38 consecutive games without back-to-back losses.

Archived