Gonzalez optioned to Norfolk

mdbdotcom

What if we are facing the Angels and Josh Hamilton? (1/14, 9 Ks vs Matusz).

Assuming we get in there are going to be some tough decisions to make regarding both the playoff rotation and bullpen.

The Tigers have a RH dominant lineup, not sure we carry Matusz if we play them.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think people are overstating this move. I don't believe for one second that the Orioles have chosen Jimenez over Gonzalez for the rest of this season, or even for the next three weeks. They are just trying to keep all six options for five rotation spots in play until Aug. 31, to see if everyone's healthy and then make some decisions. Don't forget, you have to be on the roster on Aug. 31 to be eligible for the playoffs, unless you are replacing an injured player. I will bet dollars to donuts that Gonzo will be on the playoff roster. But he has options, and the O's are going to take advantage of that to keep as many options open as long as they can.

I get a little tired of hearing how great Ubaldo's stuff is when he's on. He's had two excellent half-seasons in a 7+ year career. The odds that he is going to pitch better than Gonzo has for the rest of this year are probably 5-1 against, or worse. And by the way, Gonzo had a 2.43 ERA and averaged 6.78 IP per start over his last six starts. It's a lousy time to have to yank him from the rotation, but I believe he'll be back before long as Dan and Buck maneuver their way to Aug. 31.

I think the Wieters and Santana injuries free up two roster spots for the playoffs. Even if a player is at AAA on August 31 they are still eligible. I think Miguel will be here on the team by then anyway. That loophole gets taken advantage of every year.

I think the Wieters and Santana injuries free up two roster spots for the playoffs. Even if a player is at AAA on August 31 they are still eligible. I think Miguel will be here on the team by then anyway. That loophole gets taken advantage of every year.

Good heads up.

Velocity doesn't generally come back.

Generally, I agree. But I think Ubaldo's a bit of a special case with those whacked out mechanics.

I see lots of people saying they're not going to "throw away" 50 million on Ubaldo, but essentially giving up on him this year doesn't mean that you're giving up on him permanently. Stash him away for the rest of the year and pencil him back into the rotation next spring.

I wouldn't even mind Gausman being optioned either. But Miguel Gonzalez deserves to be on this team, not be the shuttle guy to Norfolk.

Generally, I agree. But I think Ubaldo's a bit of a special case with those whacked out mechanics.

I see lots of people saying they're not going to "throw away" 50 million on Ubaldo, but essentially giving up on him this year doesn't mean that you're giving up on him permanently. Stash him away for the rest of the year and pencil him back into the rotation next spring.

I wouldn't even mind Gausman being optioned either. But Miguel Gonzalez deserves to be on this team, not be the shuttle guy to Norfolk.

Gonzo is part of the team, he has options and frankly as loved as he is (I include myself in that group) he is not as big a part of the future as is Norris, Tillman, KG or Ubaldo (50 million reasons like it or not). MiGo is a big boy and handle this, way to much drama about it. Its a numbers game and one we are fortunate to consider an issue. This is a team, sometimes you have to take one for it, right now it's Gonzo's turn. KG has done that dance, Webb is doing it and it possible others will to. Its really not that big of a deal and once again its a fortunate problem to have.

Giving $50 million to a guy who lost about 10 miles off his fastball may be DD's worst move. In 3 years, when we talk about last off season, it will be about how terrible Ubaldo's signing was, not signing Cruz.

I remember posting that Gonzalez had similar numbers, and would be much cheaper for the same period of time, but everyone was convinced he would turn into a pumpkin at some point. Now we have to work around another $12mil hole in the payroll. It's like Brob 2.0.

"Generally" yes. But Tillman and Kazmir are two very successful cases of it happening in recent years.

...but I don't think Jiminez falls in that category.

Actually he kinda does. This is not the first time his velocity has dropped. He tends to be dependent on his motion and mechanics, when they are not right his velocity is not either. In 2012 that was the case, not saying this is the case now but I see nothing physically that leads me to think it is not.

Giving $50 million to a guy who lost about 10 miles off his fastball may be DD's worst move. In 3 years, when we talk about last off season, it will be about how terrible Ubaldo's signing was, not signing Cruz.

I remember posting that Gonzalez had similar numbers, and would be much cheaper for the same period of time, but everyone was convinced he would turn into a pumpkin at some point. Now we have to work around another $12mil hole in the payroll. It's like Brob 2.0.

Yes, we know, DD is a bad man.

In spite of that.

This team is in first and 17 games above .500, and 5 in front of Toronto.

I shook my head when he signed Ubaldo, it didn't make sense, but, I am not the GM, just a fan.

But, dang it, the guy has a plan and if you can't see the past 3 seasons as being an significant improvement over 14 years of losing, then I really don't know what else I can say.

Giving $50 million to a guy who lost about 10 miles off his fastball may be DD's worst move.

It's one mph off his 2013 velocity. One, not ten.

Yes, he's about 5 mph slower than in 2007, but that's what happens to pitchers. In 2007 Josh Beckett threw 94.7, now he's at 91.9. Verlander sat at 95 as recently as 2011, now he's throwing 92.5. Burnett was over 95 in '07, down to 91.6 today. King Felix is almost 4 mph off his peak.

It's one mph off his 2013 velocity. One, not ten.

Yes, he's about 5 mph slower than in 2007, but that's what happens to pitchers. In 2007 Josh Beckett threw 94.7, now he's at 91.9. Verlander sat at 95 as recently as 2011, now he's throwing 92.5. Burnett was over 95 in '07, down to 91.6 today. King Felix is almost 4 mph off his peak.

Correct!!!!!!

Don't forget, David Price, he has lost some velocity on his fastball, and yet, lots of teams were still courting Tampa trying to trade for him.

Archived