Do the Orioles give Jeter a parting gift?

throwingthings

Buck agrees on weams' Maier theme; per Roch....

Like every other team, the Orioles will give shortstop Derek Jeter a retirement gift during the Yankees' final trip here in September. Showalter suggested an enlarged photo of Jeffrey Maier from the 1996 American League Championship Series.

"I would give him a big picture of the home run," Showalter said. "Well, it wasn't a home run. We know that. That's what I'd give him. A big picture and have the whole Baltimore Orioles team sign it.

"That's a good idea. That's cheap, too, right? Make it in bronze or something. Not that we remember that at all."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/08/showalter-on-hardy-davis-and-more.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I think it'd actually be a pretty good idea. It's an iconic picture and it's at the center of everything that started building his general reputation. It's a huge moment in our franchise too and in the Yankee-Oriole rivalry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It may not be a popular view but I think a classy fan base would give this man exactly what he deserves...a standing ovation for a guy we loved to hate but when your being honest, has always been classy, represented the game well and played it the right way. Considering he is a Yankee, that is no small feat.

Ripken had a legendary career and was treated as such even by the obnoxious classless MFY fans. Jeter deserves the same.

Jeter: "always classy." I call bullshi. "Do I feel bad?" Jeter said. "We won the game. Why should I feel bad? Ask them that." I'm sure we all recognize that quote.

I'm really sorry, but I don't understand all the negativity. OK, so he played for the Yankees, but he has had an amazing career, deported himself as a gentleman and was always above the fray.

I wish he had deported himself.

Sure they do. Cal Ripken certainly did. Chipper Jones did when he retired a couple years ago. It's not uncommon. There have also been a few players (like Todd Helton last year) who didn't announce their retirement until the end of the season, specifically so they could avoid having a "retirement tour."

I don't really see how Rivera "revolutionized the game." He's the best closer in history, but the closer position existed before he had it. In terms of career WAR, Jeter comfortably beats Rivera, which isn't surprising considering how much more an everyday player is on the field compared to a relief pitcher.

Long story short, the O's will certainly give Jeter some sort of retirement gift.

What did Brooks get from the Yankers?

The Orioles should have some sort of celebration, but come on. One standing ovation will be quite enough. Every time he comes to the plate? That would be a little disgusting, frankly.
The mere fact WAR would make two guys like Grich and Jeter essentially dead even tells you exactly what use it has in terms of judging a career IMO. 1873 hits in 17 years for Grich, 3400 plus in 20 seasons for Jeters....the two guys are not even remotely close in terms of accomplishments and impact on the game. That does not even take into consideration post season. I hate the MFY, I appreciate great players and Jeter was a great one. Not Cal Ripken by a long shot but diminishing his accomplishments because he was not Cal is like being critical of Magic, Larry Bird or Lebron because at the end of the day they are not MJ.

Numbers matter, boiling down a career to a neat little number like WAR discounts the game and makes it a simple exercise in mathematics. 3000+ hits, a career avg greater than .300 and a OBP of .379....without a sniff of using any type of PED, those are numbers that Grich only wishes he could have gotten.

You have seriously insulted Bird & Magic.

You really don't think Jeter used steroids!? Buddy, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn we should talk about...

I got nothing against Jeter. He's a great player and seems like sort of a decent guy. But if you notice it's almost always only great players that have had the fortune to be with one team their whole careers who get this round the league send-off and gifts from all the other teams in the league. It's not unclassy to make fun of this whole business. Humor is built into it. In fact it's the perfect opportunity for a white elephant -- maybe a gift of a dozen kegs of National Bohemian beer in oak barrels.

What did Brooks get from the Yankers?

Or, more appropriately, what did Cal receive? Since they're often compared and played the same position during a lot of the same time.

But of course, Cal wasn't a villain, and is often credited with partially saving the game with the streak post-strike.

We'll give him a gift.

We'll give him an ovation.

Then we'll cheer for the O's, and hopefully eliminate them from the division with 2 weeks left in the season. (We're up 7 now, if we can expand that to 13 by Sept 14... a win would eliminate them).

I wasn't going to be able to make this game becuase I was going to Blacksburg that weekend for a VT game. By the time I wake up, get out of my hotel, soothe my hangover, and hit the road, the best I can do is get back to Baltimore by 2 or 3 PM.

But now that they've made it a night game... I think I'll go to this one even if it means buying a cheap LF UD seat and going by myself.

I respect Derek Jeter, I do think he has been overrated but I'm not a hater. He's a great player, just not as great as some people make him out to be.

But a win would be very sweet.

Or, more appropriately, what did Cal receive? Since they're often compared and played the same position during a lot of the same time.

But of course, Cal wasn't a villain, and is often credited with partially saving the game with the streak post-strike.

http://touch.baltimoresun.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-335102/

Cal was treated well by everybody including the Yankees. I think Cal sort of started the modern version of the retirement tour. The gifts have gotten more extravagant.

Archived