Do the Orioles give Jeter a parting gift?

throwingthings

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm just saying I don't remember other ( at the time ) future HOFers getting parting gifts everytime they visited a stadium for their final time. It's not like it happens all the time and I dont think Jeter revolutionized the game like Rivera did. So yes, maybe I think Jeter is getting a little more than he deserves.

Sure they do. Cal Ripken certainly did. Chipper Jones did when he retired a couple years ago. It's not uncommon. There have also been a few players (like Todd Helton last year) who didn't announce their retirement until the end of the season, specifically so they could avoid having a "retirement tour."

I don't really see how Rivera "revolutionized the game." He's the best closer in history, but the closer position existed before he had it. In terms of career WAR, Jeter comfortably beats Rivera, which isn't surprising considering how much more an everyday player is on the field compared to a relief pitcher.

Long story short, the O's will certainly give Jeter some sort of retirement gift.

I can't help but feel they will, even though I hope the fans boo the bejesus out of him the entire time.

I think the reverse of this. The fans should give him some polite cheers, but please no gimmes unless they find themselves in a blowout game. We haven't wrapped up the division title just yet.

As I've noted before on this board, I don't think the comparisons to Cal Ripken are particularly analogous. By the time Cal retired, the MFYs were finishing up an amazing run of WS appearances and wins from '96-'01, and their fans had no reason to feel anything but goodwill toward Cal and his hapless O's. In contrast, how many heartbreaking losses has Jeter helped hand the O's over his career? We've got a LOT more reasons to dislike (or downright despise) Jeter than Yanks fans did to dislike Cal, especially by 2001, when their franchise was on top of the world.

It's nice that we are at least in the midst of a resurgence these days, but there are still an awful lot of lousy memories of crushing defeats at the hands of Jeter and his pals that haven't been washed away by multiple WS titles of late.

Polite applause for a retiring future HOFer is all I'd like to see him get here. A gift? How about lots of free time this October? That's all Baltimore should give Jeter, IMO.

I don't know about you guys but I am pretty excited to see Jeter's last game in OPACY on September 14th. Orioles will be in first place, and it will be the last time to see one of MLB's greatest in person.

I just picked up some tickets before the game sells out.

Looks like I got my tickets just in time. The game just sold out on the orioles website. I would recommend getting them on StubHub now before the Yankee fans start buying up the prices. I hope there are more Orioles fans than Yankee fans at that game.

"New York Yankees, Sept. 28-30

The pregame tribute, just off the dirt behind home plate, included Yankee manager Joe Torre giving Ripken's wife, Kelly, a dozen long-stemmed pink roses, and former Yankees All-Star Don Mattingly presenting Ripken with a pin commemorating his last game in the city. Ripken also was given an enlarged and framed copy of the commemorative ticket each fan was given at the stadium. Reading "Farewell Cal Ripken," the tickets have black-and-white pictures of Ripken and Lou Gehrig."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-ripken-farewelltour,0,655645.htmlstory

That's pretty awesome actually!

I hate the Yankees, but I respect Jeter and the way he has played the game. Of course the Orioles will honor him!

Ok. Then give him 75 percent of whatever they gave Cal. He was a good Yankee. Nothing real special to me otherwise. Not nearly Cal.

Give him whatever everyone gave Bob Grich.

Really Weamsie? Guy is the 6th highest hits in Major League history! I thought we were all baseball fans here?

Ok. Then give him 75 percent of whatever they gave Cal. He was a good Yankee. Nothing real special to me otherwise. Not nearly Cal.

Give him whatever everyone gave Bob Grich.

Cal lost a good bit of his luster with his insipid, "Sorry Brooksie" line. He really isn't that special to me anymore, unfortunately.

I can't help but feel they will, even though I hope the fans boo the bejesus out of him the entire time.

I hope the fans show a higher class than you. There is no reason to boo him. Oh

hell I know he is a Yankee but he is of more class than a lot of them. IMO

I hope the fans show a higher class than you. There is no reason to boo him. Oh

hell I know he is a Yankee but he is of more class than a lot of them. IMO

I found it really hard to hate the Yankees when Torre was managing and they had Jeter and Mariano. Now, with Gerardi, I hate them more than ever.

But not Jeter. No reason to hate him. He's a class act and a great ballplayer.

Archived