Do the Orioles give Jeter a parting gift?

throwingthings

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I found it really hard to hate the Yankees when Torre was managing, and they had Jeter and Mariano. Now, with Gerardi, I hate them more than ever.

But not Jeter. No reason to hate him. He's a class act and a great ballplayer.

I can't relate to this at all.

I always hate the Yankees.

The only time that my hate for them ebbs a bit is when they are a very bad team.

When the Yankees had 4 straight losing seasons between 1989 and 1992, I didn't hate them as much as I usually did/do. And I didn't hate them so much in 1972, 1973, and 1975, when the Orioles were clearly superior to them.

Other than that, I can't stand them, regardless of who is playing for them, and/or who is managing them.

Fans generally "root for the laundry" when asked if they could cheer for a player that they don't particularly like when said player gets traded to their team.

By a similar token, I also hate the laundry, regardless of the players and/or the managers that are wearing said uniforms.

As I've noted before on this board, I don't think the comparisons to Cal Ripken are particularly analogous. By the time Cal retired, the MFYs were finishing up an amazing run of WS appearances and wins from '96-'01, and their fans had no reason to feel anything but goodwill toward Cal and his hapless O's. In contrast, how many heartbreaking losses has Jeter helped hand the O's over his career? We've got a LOT more reasons to dislike (or downright despise) Jeter than Yanks fans did to dislike Cal, especially by 2001, when their franchise was on top of the world.

It's nice that we are at least in the midst of a resurgence these days, but there are still an awful lot of lousy memories of crushing defeats at the hands of Jeter and his pals that haven't been washed away by multiple WS titles of late.

Polite applause for a retiring future HOFer is all I'd like to see him get here. A gift? How about lots of free time this October? That's all Baltimore should give Jeter, IMO.

Basically you're saying that the Orioles should be so bitter about Jeter's excellence against them that they should refuse to give him a gift. That's kind of childish, IMO. It's not like he was a jerk who disrespected them or mocked them -- he just played well.

Even the Red Sox, who were much bigger rivals with the Yankees than the Orioles were during the Jeter era, will almost certainly be giving Jeter a gift of some sort (as they did with Rivera). For the Orioles to stiff Jeter on a gift would be kind of classless and would reflect poorly on them, IMO.

We may not like Jeter as Orioles fans, but when a player of his caliber retires, it's par for the course that he receives retirement gifts from every team, as Cal did.

I hope the fans show a higher class than you. There is no reason to boo him. Oh

hell I know he is a Yankee but he is of more class than a lot of them. IMO

I don't boo him. If he were an Oriole I'd treat him a lot like I do Nick.

Basically you're saying that the Orioles should be so bitter about Jeter's excellence against them that they should refuse to give him a gift. That's kind of childish, IMO. It's not like he was a jerk who disrespected them or mocked them -- he just played well.

Even the Red Sox, who were much bigger rivals with the Yankees than the Orioles were during the Jeter era, will almost certainly be giving Jeter a gift of some sort (as they did with Rivera). For the Orioles to stiff Jeter on a gift would be kind of classless and would reflect poorly on them, IMO.

We may not like Jeter as Orioles fans, but when a player of his caliber retires, it's par for the course that he receives retirement gifts from every team, as Cal did.

And I am certain Mr Angelos and Mr Bader have a lovely parting gift in store.

I can't relate to this at all.

I always hate the Yankees.

The only time that my hate for them ebbs a bit is when they are a very bad team.

When the Yankees had 4 straight losing seasons between 1989 and 1992, I didn't hate them as much as I usually did/do. And I didn't hate them so much in 1972, 1973, and 1975, when the Orioles were clearly superior to them.

Other than that, I can't stand them, regardless of who is playing for them, and/or who is managing them.

Fans generally "root for the laundry" when asked if they could cheer for a player that they don't particularly like when said player gets traded to their team.

By a similar token, I also hate the laundry, regardless of the players and/or the managers that are wearing said uniforms.

I HATE the Yankee laundry. I usually dislike most of their players. Jeter, Mariano, and Torre are very, VERY hard to hate, or even dislike. If you watched Torre's HOF speech and didn't feel a touch of emotion, then I guess I just can't relate.

I've said this many times before. I am a die hard Baltimore Orioles fan, but to do so, I am first and foremost a BASEBALL fan. I respect the game and the players and the history. So yeah, I root against the Yankees every chance I get, but I don't hate the men, especially the good guys, like the three I have mentioned.

Now Ortiz....there's a guy who's easy to hate! :cussing:

I HATE the Yankee laundry. I usually dislike most of their players. Jeter, Mariano, and Torre are very, VERY hard to hate, or even dislike. If you watched Torre's HOF speech and didn't feel a touch of emotion, then I guess I just can't relate.

I've said this many times before. I am a die hard Baltimore Orioles fan, but to do so, I am first and foremost a BASEBALL fan. I respect the game and the players and the history. So yeah, I root against the Yankees every chance I get, but I don't hate the men, especially the good guys, like the three I have mentioned.

You said that it was hard for you to hate the Yankees when Torre managed them, and Rivera and Jeter played for them.

That's what I responded to, not whether or not you have respect for the game and its history.

I didn't find it hard to hate them at all at that time (1996-2008), any more than any other time.

I've seen it time and time again - If you don't respect the game, it will humble you - in a bad way.

WAR takes into account longevity. It measures value. Not attendance.

The mere fact WAR would make two guys like Grich and Jeter essentially dead even tells you exactly what use it has in terms of judging a career IMO. 1873 hits in 17 years for Grich, 3400 plus in 20 seasons for Jeters....the two guys are not even remotely close in terms of accomplishments and impact on the game. That does not even take into consideration post season. I hate the MFY, I appreciate great players and Jeter was a great one. Not Cal Ripken by a long shot but diminishing his accomplishments because he was not Cal is like being critical of Magic, Larry Bird or Lebron because at the end of the day they are not MJ.

Numbers matter, boiling down a career to a neat little number like WAR discounts the game and makes it a simple exercise in mathematics. 3000+ hits, a career avg greater than .300 and a OBP of .379....without a sniff of using any type of PED, those are numbers that Grich only wishes he could have gotten.

Archived