It's Time To Bench Chris Davis

LookitsPuck

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saying Flaherty's bat may be better than Davis' is like saying melted ice cream is better than spoiled milk. They're all bad options.

Unfortunately we don't seem to have an in house better option for third, but for heaven's sake I would get him out of the middle of the order. Bat him ninth for a while.

And one more thing...power threat or not, its time to start bunting down the third base line when they are giving you half the friggin diamond! Newsflash....you ain't hitting homers kid. Take the base hit in situations where we need a runner.

People could argue, fairly, that bunting isn't exactly easy, and he might simply be handing the opposition outs by either putting himself behind in counts or bunting straight back to the pitcher. That said, there's no excuse for not trying to play pepper with the third base line. Every attempt to pull the ball right now is a failure on his part, IMO. The shift isn't beating him given his (awful) approach. He's beating himself.

People could argue, fairly, that bunting isn't exactly easy, and he might simply be handing the opposition outs by either putting himself behind in counts or bunting straight back to the pitcher. That said, there's no excuse for not trying to play pepper with the third base line. Every attempt to pull the ball right now is a failure on his part, IMO. The shift isn't beating him given his (awful) approach. He's beating himself.

I'd rather he bunt into an out that strike out every time up.

I'd love to know how many straight games this guy has had a K in? How come the Orioles don't put THAT stat on the broadcast?

It's not the shift, it's not how he is being pitched. Davis is simply missing pitches he used to hit out. And it's not that he can't catch up to a 90 mph FB down the middle, like he got from Wada yesterday, he just can't hit it. His swing is so loopy.

What are the odds that Christian Walker could be called up? How's his defense at 1b?
I wouldn't be surprised to see Walker when the rosters expand, but he's only been hitting .250/.336/.394 at AAA this season (35 games).

I would think it is doubtful Walker is called up. He doesn't need to be protected on the 40 man roster yet and he isn't on a tear at Norfolk. He would most likely come up and sit on the bench.

I'd rather he bunt into an out that strike out every time up.

I'd love to know how many straight games this guy has had a K in? How come the Orioles don't put THAT stat on the broadcast?

19 games in a row with at least one strikeout, and 39 out of his last 40.

I would think it is doubtful Walker is called up. He doesn't need to be protected on the 40 man roster yet and he isn't on a tear at Norfolk. He would most likely come up and sit on the bench.

Yeah, wasn't saying it was likely, just saying I wouldn't be surprised. And as I pointed out, he's not exactly setting the world on fire at AAA.

Idk. I don't think you non tender him. I think you have to let him start next season to see if he can turn things around. Something has to be wrong with him. I mean you don't just accidentally hit 53 homers and 138 rbis. They say pitchers figured him out but it seems that it was pretty easy to do, so why didn't they figure him out last season?

Honest question, how often do people have historic mvp caliber seasons and then just fall off this badly?

I don't think people are against giving him another chance next year, but the team will be taking a $10M risk. If there is anything "good" coming out of the poor performance of Davis and injury to Wieters is that neither should see much of an increase (if at all) to their salary next year.

As a matter of fact, yes...yes, it was. I didn't even notice that when I looked at the stats.

So pretty much 40 straight games with at least one K? A quarter of the season. Ridiculous!

I really like the man, but how can we depend on this guy to suddenly get it? He's really hurting us this season, especially with Manny and Wieters out.

Can the O's afford to hand him the first base job and the 11 million or so in salary that goes with it?

Idk but it's going to be hard to not give the guy a chance to bounce back, when they know what he's capable of. Maybe if they had someone waiting in the wings or some fantastic free agent...

So pretty much 40 straight games with at least one K? A quarter of the season. Ridiculous!

I really like the man, but how can we depend on this guy to suddenly get it? He's really hurting us this season, especially with Manny and Wieters out.

I've seen some pretty poor performances from O's over the years, but I don't think any have been as disappointing as Davis' 2014. Total train wreck.

Archived